Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

Can someone point me to the manual for this add-on? I'm having trouble locating it - thanks!

13 hours ago, The Moose said:

Since day one of this sim there's been a certain kind of stutter that some people suffer from that I've always been convinced had something to do with how Microsobo is streaming us the data.   Symptom was quite a large stutter where GPU usage drops to as good as nothing for a second.   I would have one or two of these an hour (roughly) Apart from that my sim was smooth.  Been like it from day one of this sim for me.  (Not a single one of my many other games stutter, it's not a system related thing)

Around 15 hours of using this mod so far.   Not a single one of those stutters has occurred.    I also note lower vram use compared to stock.  Now i have no doubt at all that something to do with the data streaming in the stock sim is causing certain performance issues for some.

Yup, no stutters for me with this mod. My prime suspect was the streaming and this would seem to confirm it.

A.

• Like 1

UI has improved since the last time I tried the GM. It's an easy setup. Going to fly a route in the Caribbean to see how it looks.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

9 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

This problem is often down to another app using the same network port.  I've used it trouble free since I discovered the app causing this.  The developer has highlighted this to be checked.

After first install I notified the developer I had blurries and could see tiles loading close to the aircraft.  I discovered an app using the same port. Sorted this then the mod downloaded tiles as quick as Bing.

How do you fix this?

I probably need to do something different because all i did was run the mod and start the sim so if I need to do anything to my settings prior to flying, let me know.

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

5 hours ago, MaGer1965 said:

You're not one of the only ones...I'm sure many of the 200k + downloaders are actually using the map enhancement mod without any issues. 

I follow the author - derekhe on fs.to and github (https://github.com/derekhe) for quite a time - and he has deserved (not only my...) donations for his talented work without any doubt.  

Agreed. I have given him two donations because I am so happy with him and the transformation of the sim.  Just like any app, or MSFS itself, some users are going to experience issues on first use. Just stick with it and find the issues because the ground textures are phenomenal.

Probably all these slow loading and blurry texture issues are down to the network port the mod uses being blocked by another app.  For me it was Onedrive. When I fly I disable that and I have zero issues.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, DJJose said:

How do I set it up for best visuals?

It's as simple a chose your map provider and check the Hi-Def box.  Thats it.  No other settings in the app or the sim need  to change.  

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

might be a product of my imagination - but is it ever so slightly smoother?

Absolutely it's smoother from my experience. (and it completely killed a stutter issues that I've lived with from day one)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

How do you fix this?

I probably need to do something different because all i did was run the mod and start the sim so if I need to do anything to my settings prior to flying, let me know.

Either on his GitHub page, or Flightsim.to, he has instructions how to check if something is using the same network port. In my case it was Microsoft OneDrive. I just pause syncing in OneDrive while I'm flying.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Don't  forget - the mod is not set and forget.  If you don't like what you see when flying just change to a different tile source or even the MSFS default one on the fly. :gaul:

sp

• Like 2

I tried installing this mod or app again this morning from scratch. Downloaded, installed, turned it on, loaded a flight, and CTD all over again. I read last night that someone said if you have a port that this app uses,  that is utilized by another app, this can cause a problem. I am certain this must be the problem because I have several apps that use ports, Avliasoft EFB, and PF3 among others. I decided that this just isn't worth fiddling with changing ports, because frankly, the default scenery looks good to me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Don't  forget - the mod is not set and forget.  If you don't like what you see when flying just change to a different tile source or even the MSFS default one on the fly. :gaul:

sp

Stupid question, but what do you mean by tile source?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

1 minute ago, Zimmerbz said:

There are multiple tile servers to try.  I like ARCGis where I fly.

sp

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

The source where the data is coming from, e. g. Google, Bing, ArcGIS.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

14 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

There are multiple tile servers to try.  I like ARCGis where I fly.

sp

Obvious question is -- Where do you fly ?? 😉

I've always just used the mt.google

Edited by vcarlo

WAT1460.png

23 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I tried installing this mod or app again this morning from scratch.

But, but, but....  you'd rather install a virus or have a double root canal than install this 😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1