Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingair315

Where Were You 25 Years Ago Today? aks the front page...

...adding Without that day, we probably would not be here doing our thing in Flight Simulation today/.../It was the day that the personal computer was first sold to the public Well, in August 1981 I was playing FS1 and another sim the name of which have slipped from my aging mind with my 48 K Apple ][. I switched long ago to the PC world but, hey guys, flightsimming preexisted to the PC :-hah :-lol !

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well at work I was 2 years working as a computer operator on a DEC PDP 11/70 Mini Computer! At home I was playing on my Commodore PET 2001 with a whooping 32K Mem (Upgraded from the original 8K Mem), a Chicklet keyboard and a cassette player. I did add a floppy drive at one point. Why I didn't go for the Apple at that time I'm still knocking my head over. It was vastly superior to the PET then. At the time I was saving up for my first car, so I couldn't afford the original PC so my first one was a IBM PC jr. I ran MSFS 1.0 and 2.0 on that. All told over the years, I had 11 PC's (That I can remember, may have been more!) plus the PET and a Commodore 64. Edit: Just remembered 2 more for a total of 13 PC's all Intel. (I never could bring myself to go AMD, but I'm seriously thiking about it for my next system!!)

Antigua (TAPA) with a sailboat!!!And hair on top of my head.Now I have a job in Dallas :-(

Got married on the 8th and was on the Island of Jersey on the 12th.25 years later was in Jersey on the 8th and had a party on the 12th ;-)At this party someone (the wife) had the bright idea of making the wedding album available for everyone to "have a good laugh at!!??!!"Well they did...and I was one of them especially when I saw how much hair I had then (not a lot now but hey! I don't give a ....)*:-* This was an unashamed "Congratulations" plug to me and "she who must be obeyed" Thanks for listening!:-wave

Some of you are very young!!I was only 8 years old, but at least I can remember U.S. President Carter!Rhett

In August 1981, I was still in two halves.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

I had just graduated high school and the computer on my desk would have taken up a whole room.D. Fisher

I was living breathing and doing motorcycle road racing.Tom,You wish :-) LOL

I was studying Ancient and Medieval History at Manchester University.Very useful stuff..;-) Ian

>I was studying Ancient and Medieval History at Manchester>University.>>Very useful stuff..;-) >>IanSounds like my kind of scholar.I was also in diapers, but already planning out camera angles and dramatic scenes.

>Antigua (TAPA) with a sailboat!!!>>And hair on top of my head.>>Now I have a job in Dallas :-(>Lets see, I was 10 and the most important thing in my life were my matchbox cars and the Dukes of Hazzard. Almost as good as being on a sailboat in Antigua. Now, I still have hair but I don't have a job.Frankly, I think both of us got the short end of the stick.;)

25 years ago today, I was working here:http://wallradio.com/I was driving something like this (BMW 3.0Si):http://www.bmwworld.com/models/newsixes/30.jpgAnd flying this (my '73 Cherokee 235):http://www.pa28.com/cherokee235/photogallery/N15265.jpgI also flew a friend's version of FS1 on a Commodore, or something like that, right after getting back from flying my Cherokee 235 (shown above). My comment to him was: "Interesting, but I won't be giving up the real thing anytime soon".I still say that today! ;-)Then again, with my avgas now pushing $5 a gallon, those who complain about FS realism "doth protest too much- often way too much"!!Funny, some things have not changed much.Today, I drive something like this (BMW 528i):http://www.octane.ie/guide/images/originals/46--1.jpgAnd fly this (My Piper Dakota):http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/86n/gfx/Dakota3.jpgLooks like FS has changed the most, and I've just gotten older in the meantime! :-lolRegards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Where did I go wrong, was it living in the wrong country Lou? :-)

Navel Air Station South Weymouth Massachusetts,Working in the engine overhaul shop(T56,T58,T53 and J52 Engines)For the P3,H3,UH1 and A4 respectivly. Was clueless about flightsim,or computer's.My hobby was my 73 chevy 327 powered Vega,Munce close ratio 4 speed:-)

Actually, they have it all wrong, unless they were talking about a specific computer made long after the first desktop.The personal computer existed long -before- August 1981.Was an "old hand" using a computer, long before then.The first Desktop Personal Computer was the Tandy Model I, and it was in use in 1978, long before the Apple or IBM were even thought about. In fact, before 1981 I had FIVE of them in use, hooked up to five different phone lines... and was running a CBBS or Community Bulletin Board System, accessed by other users from many countries around the world. We even had a Club, the Orange County Tandy Users Group with hundreds of members before 1981. It grew to over 900 members worldwide.It was first made to be used by Radio Shack Stores, but they decided to make an additional 5000 to sell to the general public to test the market. They sold out the entire run, in less than a month. Went into full production, and sold hundreds of thousands long before 1981. I bought the fifth one sold in CA, the other 4 went to Radio Shack employees, before they would sell me mine. Before long, had 4 Floppy drives hooked up to it. Within a year, had 4 - 8" Floppies for one MEG. Had my first HD before 1981, with a 5MEG drive which cost me $1200.00 and was bigger than my tower today... Never believed I'd ever meed more storage, but today have 420Gigs... without much space to spare... That of course does not cover the over 300 DVD's, and 276 CD's that I have filed.IT was due to the popularity of the Tandy, that others began building Desktops.