Sign in to follow this  
penta_a

MSFS is now 10 million players strong

1 hour ago, blingthinger said:

And you retain the blithe comments about mental illness? I would think that any comments along those lines would get removed, no? ALL of them. Regardless of the forum.

No comment about that was directed at you. If you choose to believe it was there is an option to report it.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

10 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Ignoring isn't a good solution, because then other posters from the "other" forum will come here and run amok in the MSFS forum because they see there is no pushback when they do so.  I think they need to be challenged and called out for their behavior here when they step over the line.

I wouldn't normally bother to participate in a conversation such as this, but given your comment I would just say a couple of things. The whole concept of 'the "other" forum' is a bit clannish, I feel, and more to the point, who gets to determine where "the line" is anyway?

I have no time for any of the more rabid posts from either XP or MSFS devotees. There really is no need for anybody to constantly either denigrate or, equally, constantly praise, either sim. They are both fine sims, although personally I'm more keen on MSFS.

Ignoring the rise of a fascist dictator is probably a bad thing, but simply ignoring a perceived rant on a forum like this is almost certainly the best approach. I don't mean necessarily using the actual "ignore" function, just mentally ignoring a post one might consider idiotic/unsuitable/inappropriate or whatever. Life's too short to get riled up by such things, and in the context of a sim, I don't think anybody "needs to be challenged" for their posts.

But feel free to ignore this post! (especially as I'm aware I'm challenging your post here! <grin>)

As to the original post, I have no experience of, or real interest in, other games, PC or console, so I have no idea of the popularity or otherwise of MSFS relative to any of those. And I would imagine that 10m figure is certainly a "flexible" statistic, but even so it certainly feels like MSFS is doing pretty well as a flightsim. It's certainly the best thing around for my purposes (non-serious flying and viewing the world). Everything I'd ever wanted from a sim, for sure.

• Like 3

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

4 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Blackshark isn’t using OSM per se

There's a 'per se'? Unless they used it to help train the AI algorithm, I've never heard any source admitting they used it at all. 

It will take a while, but that same final database is public domain now. It's gradually being used to populate OSM.

The potential offered by OSM is actually superior than plain AI. It can carry far more information about structures than a simple orthophoto can contain. This turns into a big deal when looking outside of photogrammetry data areas.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

7 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

The end result is pretty spectacular especially if you intimately know the area you’re flying over in real life.

Ah yes. I have written several times that MSFS out of the box accurately places the 3-4 trees infront of the threshold of a smaller airport near my home base where we practice soft field steep approaches/landings with obstacles.

When the tech works, it is a marvelous result, indeed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

6 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I wouldn't normally bother to participate in a conversation such as this, but given your comment I would just say a couple of things. r sim. They are both fine sims, although personally I'm more keen on MSFS.

Likewise! This thread is beyond disheartening and does little for the AVSim reputation. I am sure Tom Allensworth would not be impressed with the tone of many remarks.

• Like 3

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No comment about that was directed at you. If you choose to believe it was there is an option to report it.

I don't care about me.

In general, it seems to be a topic that would be off-limits in the context it was used in. What kind of community is being fostered here? I do seem to remember a mod declaring that this wasn't a 'democracy', but one of shameless name-calling, frequently at the expense of serious health issues? Really?? Should they start making giddy quips about wheel chairs instead?

The comment you deleted was my observation that most of these statements come from frequent posters of these forums. All data points in that direction right now. Maybe it has been different in years past.

The comment that you left behind swims in that pool of 'community'.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

Blingthinger, please, just give it a rest!

If I remove/ignore all of your comments/replies in this discussion, then it becomes an interesting, enjoyable read. Add all of your comments back in and it turns into a toxic rant against the product, its developers, and users who enjoy the product.

For the record, I like reading your comments over on the XPlane forum, when you discuss technical issues/topics, without any sly reference to competing sims.

You clearly have a lot of technical knowledge and expertise, but it quickly turns into a depressing spiral of spiteful vitriol when you get started on slinging fud/mud at other sims, their developers and their users.

I feel you have a lot of knowledge and wisdom to give in these forums, but please stick to technical discussions without the snide comments/shading against other sims.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I don't care about me.

In general, it seems to be a topic that would be off-limits in the context it was used in. What kind of community is being fostered here? I do seem to remember a mod declaring that this wasn't a 'democracy', but one of shameless name-calling, frequently at the expense of serious health issues? Really?? Should they start making giddy quips about wheel chairs instead?

The comment you deleted was my observation that most of these statements come from frequent posters of these forums. All data points in that direction right now. Maybe it has been different in years past.

The comment that you left behind swims in that pool of 'community'.

As you consider that mental health comment a general observation no further action was deemed necessary. This is a private forum where the staff decide what is acceptable and what isn’t.

I’m not continuing the debate with you. I suggest you keep your tone moderate and don’t post inflammatory views.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, tweekz said:

My quick maffs skillz tell me that'll be close to 1 billion $ just by sales of the main product.

This would be true IF 10 million actually bought the main product. Most likely only a small percentage did and most used the game pass which basically means it's free use for those.

2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I suggest you keep your tone moderate and don’t post inflammatory views.

As I said at the beginning, and before people started quoting/insulting both me and mental disabilities in general:

10 million is marketing 'hot air'.

28 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I don't care about me.

You don't get to play the victim when all you contribute is FUD. It is plain and obvious you are a devout follower of the most perfect engineering tool since the dawn of man, and your sole mission in here is to denigrate other platforms. Literally your first post in this topic was about drunk people more or less by happenstance trying out MSFS and thereby inflating the numbers making the topic 'garbage for any real simmer'.

Do you expect to be taken seriously after such comments?

Edited by Swe_Richard
autocorrect
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Dunno, but a guy I know, which never touched computers and never been intrested in flightsims for probably 4 decades. Suddenly went crazy and invested in sim equipment for 15000$ for he's 10 year old daughter(the excuse for the wife):D.

So to me its obvious that Microsoft really revived this franchise and brought it back to the mainstream like never seen before. I think it was very much needed and we all will benefit from it. Maybe not all 10 000 000 users will become hardcore simmers, but many of them will. And Austin Meyer would have never brought them in, but even Xplane will benefit from more people exposed to this wonderful world of flightsims:)

• Like 7

12 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

Hi Ray. This is the second time that Blingthinger has come to the MSFS forums and riled up the people in a thread. The first time, you had warned him in this thread:

Hope you keep an eye on Blingthinger. He/she has a habit of coming into the MSFS forums, trolling, and riling people up. We even asked Blingthinger to tone down the use of his/her language last time, and not incite people here in the MSFS forum with his/her use of language and word choice.  But Blingthinger just refuses, despite us asking him/her the last time he/she was warned.

LOL. I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm flying MSFS exclusively now after switching over from P3D and I find these "my sim vs your sim" threads to be absolutely ridiculous. That said, you running to the mods to try and get someone monitored is unreal. How about you just ignore him if he bothers you so much? My gosh.....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bigt said:

LOL. I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm flying MSFS exclusively now after switching over from P3D and I find these "my sim vs your sim" threads to be absolutely ridiculous. That said, you running to the mods to try and get someone monitored is unreal. How about you just ignore him if he bothers you so much? My gosh.....

Are you new here? I would say the entire point of moderators would be to cull posters whose sole objective is to derail threads? 

• Like 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

38 minutes ago, Kaboki said:

Dunno, but a guy I know, which never touched computers and never been intrested in flightsims for probably 4 decades. Suddenly went crazy and invested in sim equipment for 15000$ for he's 10 year old daughter(the excuse for the wife):D.

So to me its obvious that Microsoft really revived this franchise and brought it back to the mainstream like never seen before. I think it was very much needed and we all will benefit from it. Maybe not all 10 000 000 users will become hardcore simmers, but many of them will. And Austin Meyer would have never brought them in, but even Xplane will benefit from more people exposed to this wonderful world of flightsims:)

15000$... for flight sim hardware ... for the 10 year old daughter? If I was the wife I'd think it's some other "hardware" he's spending the money on...