Sign in to follow this  
Sims Smith

X-Plane 12 final

I'll allow this difference of opinion providing you keep it civil and respect the opinions of other  whom you may disagree with. Objective is always better than subjective. :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

37 minutes ago, rka said:

I just want to quote this beautiful statement of facts (cough) before it gets edited away and I hope the mods let me do it.

It won't be edited, about the only thing I forgot was

X-Plane:

Turning 2D OSM data into 3D scenery: April 17, 2011

MSFS:

Claiming they are the first to turn 2D OSM data into 3D scenery in 2020 then wondering why they get ridiculed.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

x-plane12 rc6 steam edition: had these problems:

1) artificial horizon never returned back to neutral after a 360 degrees longitudinal roll in the default Beech Baron:

spacer.png

2) no real world weather download possible yesterday:

xplane12-rc6metarfileedcd9.jpg

3) 98% GPU load on an RTX 3090 and i9900K, sitting on the ramp at a simple default airport KRDM in the middle of nowhere with no extra tools or traffic, yet only 29 fps.

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

51 minutes ago, rka said:

I just want to quote this beautiful statement of facts (cough) before it gets edited away and I hope the mods let me do it.

I thought it was ok to criticize MSFS and praise X-Plane in an X-Plane forum.

(Love the signature.  Welcome to X-Plane!  Glad to see you've broadened your horizons!)

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, GoranM said:

I thought it was ok to criticize MSFS and praise X-Plane in an X-Plane forum.

Of course, it absolutely should be, and vice versa.

26 minutes ago, GoranM said:

(Love the signature.  Welcome to X-Plane!  Glad to see you've broadened your horizons!)

I'm not new, I have been an LR customer for many years and have spent huge amounts of money on addons in the XP ecosystem. It's just the signature that is new (well, rather). It is a misconception that often shows here, that people being critical of XP can't be using or even liking it. (Of course they can.)

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Just now, rka said:

It should be, but it rarely is. I've seen both X-Plane and MFS users react very badly to any criticism of the sim as if somebody insulted them and their family personally.  This is why so many topics end up getting locked.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rka said:

It's safe to say that X-Plane gets criticized in the MSFS forums.  Constantly.  But like abrams said in his post.  

But if you think that you can use the same tone here in the MSFS (change this to X-Plane) forums, expect pushback from MSFS (change this to X-Plane) users.  

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, tonywob said:

This is why so many topics end up getting locked.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been called mentally ill, stoned, childish, even "Scrooge" (actually, I'll own that one). Those perpetrators run amok and they generally aren't XP users/fans. And these are the threads that get locked instead of the guilty getting punished.

Even in the past week a few threads have been locked for no obvious or even described reason. So, locked? Shrug.

XP12 has its flaws, but the default sim runs just fine and is perfectly usable (yeah, yeah, weather servers need to be fixed, that's a problem in both sims). Ok...maybe not so much if you're using a 9xx nvidia card, but there's no reason to suspect that it won't continue to get fixed and improve.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

1) artificial horizon never returned back to neutral after a 360 degrees longitudinal roll in the default Beech Baron:

Depending on the AH they do that aiui, you have to fly straight an level then re cage it.

you should also have to cage it when it first gets vacuum power.

attitude-indicator-diagram.jpg

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

7 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Even in the past week a few threads have been locked for no obvious or even described reason. So, locked? Shrug.

Often, a lot of posts get hidden that you can't see, so sometimes it's not always obvious how a thread derailed. Sadly, it's fairly common here and generally caused by the same handful of forum users

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

x-plane12 rc6 steam edition: had these problems:

It's not a bug, it's a (realism) feature:

https://developer.x-plane.com/article/vacuum-gyro-limitations-and-caging/#Limitations_of_the_mechanical_attitude_gyro_instrument

You've discovered one of the (many) realistic details present in X-Plane, often mistaken for bugs because people don't experience them in most other flight sims. 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

but in this forum there are many posters that don't like XP at all.

Becuase those who criticize x-plane on the org forum get banned or their posts are deleted :wink:

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

2 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

Becuase those who criticize x-plane on the org forum get banned or their posts are deleted :wink:

I'm afraid the org is not the only place where such things take place 😄

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

21 minutes ago, rka said:

I'm afraid the org is not the only place where such things take place 😄

I'm sure it isn't. But the org forum just took x-plane cultism to another level.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

8 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

I'm sure it isn't. But the org forum just took x-plane cultism to another level.

You mean x-plane.org? Huh, imagine that.

They do also have relatively open forums available to moan and complain about pretty much anything but they don't see a ton of traffic. And there's been a fair bit of negativity over there of late that doesn't get blocked or hidden.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...