Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

7950x3D shaping up to demolish the 13900k in MSFS

I’m still mystified as to why people need/want 100+ fps in a flight sim. 

Edited by Greggy_D
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Same reason people want 400 horse power in a car. Choice. 
Plus, have you ever flown at 120 fps whilst running a 120hz monitor? Let me tell you, it’s glorious! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Same reason people want 400 horse power in a car. Choice. 

Well almost.  370.  At the crank.   I need a new clutch though.

• Like 2

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

400HP is the perfect amount of power for most factory consumer day to day street application fun.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I've read this whole thread and am thankful for the info I've gained from it.

I have an i9900k and a 2080ti from 5 years ago and plan to upgrade so I can fly MSFS in VR (or with high FPS in 2D). Because of this thread I'm going to wait until the 79503D and a 4090.

SO something not heard on this site often: Thanks AVsim!

• Like 2

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

5 minutes ago, SKEWR said:

I've read this whole thread and am thankful for the info I've gained from it.

I have an i9900k and a 2080ti from 5 years ago and plan to upgrade so I can fly MSFS in VR (or with high FPS in 2D). Because of this thread I'm going to wait until the 79503D and a 4090.

SO something not heard on this site often: Thanks AVsim!

The 7950x3d that you mention is already out, released last month. Did you mean to say the 7800x3d? I would for sure wait for that one which is out on April 6th. Look at the Youtube video I posted in this thread a page or two back and you'll underwhy. Save a couple hundred dollars that you can put towards the 4090 and the MB and RAM will be cheaper. 

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 1

Eric 

Waiting myself for that 7800x3d too that things gonna sell out so fast.

• Like 3

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

8 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

You could wait forever. Chances are when the 5 series is released, people will still be cpu limited due to some new fangled tech that they’ve released in the sim. 
The 4 series card is the greatest piece of hardware I’ve EVER purchased for flight sim. Who cares if I’m cpu limited and pulling in 100 frames? Not me. Don’t even notice it. Lowest frames I get are 55 in really heavy scenarios. Even IF it dropped to 50, I’d still be ecstatic. But to achieve 80-90-100 plus most of the time is just astonishing really. Chased that for decades. Like I’ve said previously, I don’t tweak anymore for performance. There is simply no need. 
Now, imagine someone advised me to hang around for the 5 series instead of going for the 4? I’d be missing out BIG time! 

you keep talking about frames and how high they are. Ive had 40, 50 60 FPs that are a stuttering mess. I literally dont care about FPS , I care about uninterrupted smoothness. no jitters no issues when on ground or approaching large airfields.

• Upvote 1

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

7 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

I agree... If sim is smooth and no stuttering could you really tell if running 30FPS vs 60FPS vs 100FPS w FPS counter off. yea maybe but the difference to me is not worth an additional $1500 investment on top of what I already spent. 

Edited by wiler
  • Like 1

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

8 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

So they can tell the world about it? 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

2 hours ago, wiler said:

I agree... If sim is smooth and no stuttering could you really tell if running 30FPS vs 60FPS vs 100FPS w FPS counter off. yea maybe but the difference to me is not worth an additional $1500 investment on top of what I already spent. 

Yes, yes and yes. I can live with 60fps, but 30fps is inconceivable for me.

The smoothness of 100+fps is very immersive and the good thing is that this is easily achievable on the platforms that I use (especially on MSFS due to FR, but also possible on XP12 and DCS).

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

3 hours ago, wiler said:

you keep talking about frames and how high they are. Ive had 40, 50 60 FPs that are a stuttering mess. I literally dont care about FPS , I care about uninterrupted smoothness. no jitters no issues when on ground or approaching large airfields.

Do you think I would be publicly praising it it wasn't smooth? Come on....

3 hours ago, wiler said:

If sim is smooth and no stuttering could you really tell if running 30FPS vs 60FPS vs 100FPS w FPS counter off.

Yes, you can tell 100%. Well I certainly can, as can others. 

Could you tell if your car was driving at 30-60 or 90 mph without a speedo? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

When you fly at 60 fps and higher, you understand the "smooth locked at 30 fps" was simply bad ! Its not just the visuals its also affecting the way you actually fly. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Roi Ben

7 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Its not just the visuals its also affecting the way you actually fly. 

I just have to ask....can you explain how?

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz