Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

You never know with big companies these days, we've been word not alloweded over soooooo many times the last few years

1 minute ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

You can have backwards compatibility and STILL require an update for 3PDs.  That's what I hope for.  We still want things to be more SDK native to the sim.  WX radar is one example.  This would give us better performance in 3rd party add-ons.  

If the past says anything about the future, there will be glitches. Backward compatibility has its limitations as we see with the quasi-frozen P3D. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, Dominique_K said:

If the past says anything about the future, there will be glitches. Backward compatibility has its limitations as we see with the quasi-frozen P3D. 

True, we'll have to see, that's for sure.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

41 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

I didn't see a single EFB in the entire trailer. Gamebreaker.

Roflmao😂

16 minutes ago, Aamir said:

It will be a free update for 2020 owners, to 2024 - as part of their 10 year plan. BUT. Core engine only. You're not going to get any of the new shiny content they're planning on bringing to it, but you will get the core sim and all your FS2020 content. From what I can see this is the same engine 2020 is running on, they're presumably going to ship this with some big updates to the engine, but nothing inherently shockingly different. It's a bug fixing, brush up, and extend exercise, with some sequel branding to it.

Why do I think this?

Well, look at Dovetail Games and what they do with Trainsim. It's updated with a "new title" every year or so, TS2019, TS2020, etc etc etc. Owners of the last title get the new one for free, but none of the new content. Just what they had, and core engine improvements, UI update, QOL updates, new graphics and what have you. But none of the "new" content.

Absolutely agree, it would make no sense for this to be a vastly different sim that doesn’t have backwards compatibility.  I too thought of the TSW model when I saw this.

Even if it’s not free I’d have no issue paying for the new version four years on (side note - hard to believe it’s been so long!).  I’ve already gotten several games’ worth of content for free.

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

All the other versions of MSFS were (for the most part) static versions. There would be talk in forums about cut off dates where the current version was locked and they began development of the next version. This was understood. FS2020 is a different beast in that it is a living program which is attached to the cloud and is continually updated. There is a huge list issues and wishlist changes and a status board for where the team is in working on them with periodic video updates from the developers on progress.

In fact, there was much talk of how great it was that the "old way" of having to get an entire new sim every few years was a thing of the past because we had entered the new modern era of software being maintained and updated frequently through the cloud. To now suddenly say, it's 4 years so we're rolling out the new version we've been working on is kind of mind-blowing if it turns out to be true.

Hopefully, it is just an over-hyped update and name change to the current sim. You will just just get an update one day that will change the name of the sim and have the option to load/buy these adventure packs. I can understand the name change as it would be quite awkward if it was called Flight Simulator 1982 way back and was still called that. We'll see.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ahh, this came earlier than I expected. I was actually thinking a new version of MSFS would come in 2030, and that Microsoft would reduce the size of the team working on MSFS over the years. I was a bit surprised that the MSFS team never really reduced in size over the last few years, and perhaps, it grew even larger over the last few years.

The revenue has to come from somewhere, so a new version of MSFS in 2024 will help pay for the MSFS team, assuming the MSFS team remains the same size, or perhaps even grows larger.

I just hope that the add-ons we bought, especially scenery and planes, will be mostly compatible with MSFS 2024. I suspect some of the planes, especially the high fidelity ones, will need some updates. I wonder how PMDG and Fenix will handle this, and whether they will charge a small fee for the update, or perhaps make it free (somehow, I don't think they will make it free, but a reasonable fee to update from 2020 to 2024 would be reasonable).

• Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Ok, so where is the trailer for the simmers? This was the trailer for the gamers! The direction MSFS is taking is clear now. So the next generation of the sim is career mode? Wow!

Total Xbox crowd pleaser, no improved clouds, lazy season implementation (hey, Asobo, vegetation changes color with seasons too, not only trees!) no improved weather, no major improvement as far as the trailer shows. Disappointing!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

Still so many issues with the sim ... melted buildings, weather, AI, in cloud lightning, flight model, etc... and yet they go add this stuff which, from the video, meh. One could get the impression that they are losing focus and chasing dollars. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Eric 

Could be that they want to leverage what they've invested in MSFS2020 into a new game (new revenue) that has a stronger appeal to 'gamers' and doesn't need all the server bandwidth currently required. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 minute ago, B777ER said:

Still so many issues with the sim ... melted buildings, weather, AI, in cloud lightning, flight model, etc... and yet they go add this stuff which, from the video, meh. One could get the impression that they are losing focus and chasing dollars. 

Exactly this... MSFS is still very much a work in progress. Hugely enjoyable already but lots of issues, too. Is it going to be abandoned when MSFS 2024 hits?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Silicus said:

no improved weather

We have tornadoes in the current version?

I think I know what you meant but I have to assume the weather is improved if they can show us tornadoes.

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

Get out of here with that nonsense. We're in the middle of testing AAU2 which is bringing a ton of improvements to fidelity. MS is showing we can have it all. Just enjoy the ride 

Looks like they are finally doing seasons!  What nonzense.  Lol

sp

Help, what is this all? A new sim? An expansion? Just a well-made video? I don't know what to think. Any official information?