Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

difference between 30-40 frames butter smooth and 60 to 80 f

So isn't the TLDR here basically to target a maximum FPS that can be maintained near continuously without drops (maximize smoothness and minimize stutters) based on your hardware capabilities and MSFS display preferences? And of course with higher-end hardware higher continuously smooth FPS is possible. And if your hardware + display settings can only manage 30 fps to be continuously smooth then that is better than shooting for 40 or 60 which can only be achieved sometimes, with drops.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

25 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

And if your hardware + display settings can only manage 30 fps to be continuously smooth then that is better than shooting for 40 or 60 which can only be achieved sometimes, with drops.

Yes, however, even with lower end hardware, if you dial the settings back a little, 40FPS is fully achievable in 2023 with hardware going back the last 4-5 years, which would make your TrackIR experience 100% better (assuming of course one is using TrackIR).

We all have a minimum level of detail that we feel comfortable with in a flight simulator. For example, I could never set autogen density to anything less than maximum, because reduced settings do not look realistic (particularly with respect to buildings). That sets a baseline for testing, and if I had the option of 30fps with these settings or 40fps with reduced settings, I would take the first option without a second thought.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

No he's presenting his subjective opinion on 30FPS, which he finds awful and I agree with him 100%, 30FPS when you've experienced 60 or more it IS awful.

This IS YOUR opinion, and you're of course entitled to it even though you convey this as fact, and take the SUBJECTIVE out of it, your word.  MY opinion is, for how I use the sim (it's all I have to go on), 60 is barely distinguishable from 34--BOTH are incredibly smooth WITH THIS METHOD of locking/syncing.   And sometimes 60 is worse (in terms of stuttering).  Why?  I theorize it's related to the hardware is fully maxed such that when a transient spike in demand happens it's less able to cope, resulting in mis paced frame.  This is why it's dialed back to 34 or 35.  I use RTSS' OSD to display load and adjust according to keep headroom up.  This includes panning in the cockpit.  

I champion this concept, one last time, for those w/o the hardware to do otherwise.  This method is uniquely superior to all other methods with this grade of hardware.  Not YOUR hardware, or others here with top end parts.  Always, this message was directed to those folks, not you.    

I was very clear in my initial thread that I believe there is an inverse relationship between FTV and frame rate such that when FPS goes up,. it's less important to have perfect FTV.  I never, in 34y of this hobby, experienced perfect FTV.  It's fundamentally different.  This is the only reason I like to share this, again, to those w/o the hardware to overcome issues w/ brute force.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

OMG

I wanted to go to bed and just read a little here and this thread has turned into quiet a conversation…

🍿🍦🧉

Summary :

If you have lower/mid end system than aiming for 30 fps without long frames is the way to go.

if you a high end system you could try aiming for 48 or 60 fps without long frames. A Gsync monitor might help here too. 

If you have a high end system with a 4000 gpu turn on FG and do what you want within reason. As every system can be overloaded.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Do I need to search my lost glasses so that I can read the whole topic? Or is it better to left my glasses where I lost them? :-). 

Just kidding here. 

Thanks for sharing your opinions. 

And because opinions are just "opinions"......you are all so right here. 

Due the high rates of posts I must have missed the frame! 

😉

Edited by mpo910
  • Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

19 hours ago, GSalden said:

Using Unlimited + FG here and all 4K TV’s running at 60 hertz.

This is smoother than limited at 30 fps + 50% vsync. Especially when accelerating down the runway and looking left. Or when banking.

That is what I will be shooting for when I get my 4090 - have a 60hz non VRR 55 inch TV.  Upgrading to a VRR TV will be a difficult ask as I already have 3 other TVs in the house but we will see next May with the runout sales for 2023 model TVs.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

8 hours ago, Noel said:

This IS YOUR opinion, and you're of course entitled to it

Thanks, very kind of you. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

11 hours ago, Noel said:

This method is uniquely superior to all other methods with this grade of hardware.

Noel, sorry for being a stick in the mud, can you point me to your thread where you go through you method? Can't put my finger on it. Cheers.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

3 minutes ago, El Diablito said:

Noel, sorry for being a stick in the mud, can you point me to your thread where you go through you method? Can't put my finger on it. Cheers.

See page 2 of this thread. There you will find the link ..

Or just click here :

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

See page 2 of this thread

Doh! I was off searching elsewhere. Thanks, G.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

On 10/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, brucewtb said:

Well this thread has opened a can of worms but I now understand why I don't see much judder - I don't use head tracking and I don't pan very much around the cockpit and rely on hot keys mapped to joystick buttons for view changes..  So things are mostly smooth even with (by today's standards) modest hardware.  However I can get short pauses sometimes 2 or 3 on final approach to some complex airports in complex aircraft - are these stutters or something else and can they be eliminated by better hardware and/or by sim/pc settings changes?

Bruce

Im also running quite smooth.at 48fps

TLOD 150 and OLOD at 150

Ultra settings , and still  get some pauses on final .

with a 7950x3d and 3090 and 6000mhz ram 

2k monitor 

so it’s not the hardware 

mike 

5 hours ago, El Diablito said:

No need to use Process Lasso which turned out not to be needed.  The basics are ultra simple to setup, in fact anyone here with top end hardware can certainly try it and see if it adds anything or not.  An FTV capture takes this out of the realm of subjective so feel free to do that as well--takes all of a few minutes to install and use.  If you decide to do this standardize it by do a reboot of your PC then proceed ahead so nothing linger interferes w/ outcome.  When I did all the testing on other methods this is what I did.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

40 minutes ago, Noel said:

The basics are ultra simple to setup, in fact anyone here with top end hardware can certainly try it and see if it adds anything or not.

It doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It doesn't. 

Post a screenshot of your FTV Capture! Otherwise your statement cant be believed!^^

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11