Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Has anyone experienced leading edge icing lately?

I've been flying around the world and only icing I was able to pick up is on windshield (no structural icing whatsoever) which making me wonder if this is bug! Am I missing something?

Edited by sd_flyer

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Yes I had it in the TMB 850 the other day

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

the visual icing effects currently in MSFS can be described as theatrical at best.  I've had the displeasure of collecting ice in a variety of airplanes, of which none looked like how MSFS portrays icing.  I understand MSFS does include the aerodynamic effects, which is nice, but yes...it seems the visual icing model is the same whether the aircraft is stationary on the ground or in flight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I had a bunch on the Dash 7 recently.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Yep, icing is visually still there. Not sure its accumulation is having much impact on the airframe / performance in most planes though.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I've been flying around the world and only icing I was able to pick up is on windshield (no structural icing whatsoever) which making me wonder if this is bug! Am I missing something?

Yes, I has some on the TBM flying out of Paderborn earlier this evening.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Thanks guys for reply . May be I wasn’t lucky enough . Time to hit Alaska routes!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Well I guess they need to make a slider now for icing as well. Why can't they design a sim that emulates the real world the best it can with the common weather problems that if real pilots flew a GA plane into icing it would turn them into a brick. I haven't flown GA lately in the sim.  But when I was flying the sim in earlier updates It provided consequences and repercussion to that behavior.

I think they ought to make it as real as they can possibly virtually get then add the sliders to tone things down for the others that want the drone to fly it's self ooops I mean plane 😉

Happy Landings

P.S. Years ago when I was working line service. Had a line buddy I worked with went through flight school was working the line got a job flying mooney's first run caught icing real bad barely landed the plane showed me pictures of the ice on the wings with his phone it was nuts.  He said he basically landed the plane almost fire walled. And the company was still trying to push him through the weather. He said he quit right there on the spot.

Edited by jwhak

3 hours ago, jwhak said:

... And the company was still trying to push him through the weather. He said he quit right there on the spot.

And I hope he reported them, to save some other pilot at least.  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

14 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Yes, with the FBW A320 (wings and fuselage)

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

3 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

All I know is he showed back up at his old line service job.  With a phone loaded with icing pictures of a mooney 😮 And nothing good to say about his latest aviation job.  Take note this was about 15-20 years ago. And the reason I remember this is I had to work his shifts till they worked on a replacement.  Kinda peeD me off but hey he was trying to get his foot in the door.

Needless to say didn't have to replace his position showed back up about as quick as icing up.

Edited by jwhak
  • Like 1

Either way icing needs to be implemented like it was.    And once again provide a slider for those that want it different.

• Upvote 1

On 12/1/2023 at 4:22 AM, bobcat999 said:

Such practices are incredibly common in the freight dog world. Especially for the people flying smaller pistons. I often wonder why the FAA spends so much time and energy going after drone owners for "safety" reasons when every day we've got hundreds of barely held together prop jobs being flown by exhausted pilots in conditions the planes weren't designed to handle, and the company usually only gets caught if there's a crash. 

Edited by eslader
  • Like 2

Yes it is visual still there, had it on a past flight seen on the 787-9 starting at CYWG..

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png