Sign in to follow this  
iliasr

SU 14 is ON

7 minutes ago, Alvega said:

The file that was updated with SU14 was the nvngx_dlssg.dll, not the nvngx_dlss.dll. The dlss is still version 2.4.12.0. And the one that got updated (nvngx_dlssg.dll) only matters for people using FG.

That would be me!

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

7 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Incident report by MS/Asobo on the recent download issues with SU13 and SU14: https://www.flightsimulator.com/sim-update-13-and-14-deployment-post-incident-report/

Basically Azure cloud technical/setup issues and bugs (around Azure SAS tokens, etc)... A detailed and transparent accounting of what happened, great to see. It wasn't about MSFS being de-prioritized or the various other theories floating around here. Hope they do more of these for any future incidents, at least in part to quell the conspiracy theories that inevitably spring up and spread.

Nice of them to report that the issue was fixed. I quit trying to install it today after 24 hrs of getting up to 73% done then watching it drop back to 30%. Tried pausing, shutting down, rebooting, restarting several times. Finally decided to try deleting all the downloaded parts and start over, but all that accomplished was each time it dropped one of my packages of the list until I was finally down to supposedly only owning the standard version, but even that lesser 3gb update wouldn’t work. As a last resort after updating xbox app, and resetting store which didn’t work I restored a system image from before update to my system drive leaving msfs drive alone.

At that point msfs wouldn’t open, said it couldn’t be found, and xbox and store reported that I didn’t own any version of the sim. So I uninstalled the sim that I apparently didn’t own, but 90% of everything was still on the drive. Formatted the drive and there were still ms folders and files in there that I wasn’t allowed as an administrator to delete or even to look in. So partitioned the drive, cleaned it, reformated it, went back to the store app and all my msfs purchases were back. So tried new install, and wasn’t allowed to install it into folder of my choice. I could pick my simulator drive but it had to be in “xbox games/microsoft flight simulator folder, no other choice. Very annoying, was hoping to make it easier to relink some things by using original folder name.

So the new install was only a few gb, and when msfs started up1st time I now naturally had something like100gb of updates to install, not sure of total. It was moving along pretty good so I left to do other things when it got to 6%. Checked back a few hours later and it was at 2%…it was looping again. That was the last straw. Shut down the sim, uninstalled it, and wiped the drive clean, gave up.

the only thing that seemed odd to me was that during all the updating/reinstalling my sim drive-ssd was pegged at 100%, even when there was no decompressing or downloading going on., and after pausing upgrade and shutting down the sim drive stayed at 100%, then I see in task manager that msfs was still running in the background. Forced that to shut down and drive still at 100%. Only thing that would stop it was to reboot. All the test and report’s on my drive came back no problems, but I’m beginning to wonder. Been wanting to upgrade it from 1tb to 2, so I have a 2tb on the way. Will try reinstall on it and if it doesn’t work on that then it’s the end of msfs2020 for me. Will wait for the new one.

I note that post SU14 NZMF (Milford Sound NZ) is still permanently ice bound with live weather enabled - Grrr.  Starting to look like it will never be fixed this side of MS2024 and maybe not even then.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

4 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

I note that post SU14 NZMF (Milford Sound NZ) is still permanently ice bound with live weather enabled - Grrr.  Starting to look like it will never be fixed this side of MS2024 and maybe not even then.

Bruce

Oh, you’re kidding. I haven’t been down there yet.

Good lord, that really does suck the big one. They specifically mentioned Milford Sound as an area that should be better now in one of the patch notes.

Edit: was planning to buy the addon scenery for that after the snow and ice was fixed, but I guess that won’t be happening now.

Edited by scotchegg
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

7 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Odd. Just took a flight from EGYV Portmoak, over Loch Leven and into EGPH (Live Time and Weather, so pitch black) and everything looked fine. 

Thanks for checking. No idea what is going on with my Edi then. I'll install Pyreegue airport again and check over the weekend.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

7 hours ago, scotchegg said:

They specifically mentioned Milford Sound as an area that should be better now in one of the patch notes.

No they didn’t.

Just an update from me in terms of performance, this is the best the sim has been performing for me since I bought it. Virtually no stutters, any that happened I didn't even notice and that's without using RivaTuner which helped to some degree up to this point. Very smooth in the PMDG cockpit. Great sky colours. I'm very happy.

I recently upgraded my CPU cooler aswell which means I'm getting temps that are at least 20 degrees cooler than before so I'm sure that's helping the overall performance of the sim also. Happy days.

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

5 minutes ago, El Diablito said:

Just an update from me in terms of performance, this is the best the sim has been performing for me since I bought it. Virtually no stutters

It's the same for me aswell.

Flying low VFR over southern Scandinavia  and the new TIN areas, I can't believe we have this visual complexity/fidelity/immersion, and I can run it on 4K with my ancient 9900K/2080ti -(I'm even a dx12 convert now)

Just crazy. 

• Like 3

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

No they didn’t.

Yes they did.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Re: snow coverage, the details of whatever fixes they did were given in the September Q&A: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/september-2023-live-developer-stream-transcription/610612 ... SU14 changes are definitely only a partial fix, and future improvements involves them working with their data provider to provider better/correct data sounds like.

Seb: Now, regarding snow coverage, we’ve identified a specific issue related to unit changes in the data. It turns out that we’ve been displaying ten times more snow than intended when there is snow. We’re actively working to adapt to this change, and our team believes this adjustment will resolve the majority of snow-related issues.

Additionally, I’ve reviewed feedback concerning various maps. While there is data available for ocean temperature and ocean ice coverage, our goal is to have comprehensive coverage for all water bodies, not just large oceans. We’ve also noted several inaccuracies in the ocean ice coverage maps, particularly in accurately representing coastlines. As a solution, we’re focusing on snow coverage depths, which provide data on snow accumulation. We use a threshold, currently set at 20 centimeters, to determine when water bodies in an area start to ice

And that has been working very, very nicely until the unit change happened, which means that now we’re basically covering the water with ice when there’s two centimeters of snow, which is completely wrong. So people are thinking that just fixing this is going to resolve most issues. And we will obviously, once that’s done, we will continue to look into the data. Maybe we can move around the thresholds a little bit. I think having a little less ice would be better. We really tried to match the ice data that was there in real-time, but I have seen inaccuracies in the data, where sometimes it just leaks from the mountains over the fjords. Currently, this is happening in Chile. So we have more work planned with the data provider to sync with them and try to improve the way they handle the data or maybe we can improve the data handling on our side. But the goal is to get more of the data that is there right.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

56 minutes ago, SAS443 said:

It's the same for me aswell.

Flying low VFR over southern Scandinavia  and the new TIN areas, I can't believe we have this visual complexity/fidelity/immersion, and I can run it on 4K with my ancient 9900K/2080ti -(I'm even a dx12 convert now)

Just crazy. 

Lol @ "ancient 9900K/2080Ti"

Your PC is like something from Area 51 (Dreamland) compared to my i5 7600k/980Ti :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

@desbean

Sorry you went through all of this. But it could have been avoided if you had just been more patient. The download would have eventually resumed and finished, if you had not intervened in an effort to speed things up.

9 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

definitely only a partial fix

I think it would be generous to describe the fix as even partial. Perhaps 'itty bitty', or at a push 'teensy weensy'.

8 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Where? I can't find it.

Yeah, the notes seem to have been made private now. Anyway, they did to say it and I'm a middle-aged white male so you have to accept it.

9 hours ago, Farlis said:

@desbean

Sorry you went through all of this. But it could have been avoided if you had just been more patient. The download would have eventually resumed and finished, if you had not intervened in an effort to speed things up.

I didn’t try to upgrade until more than a day after the release, after they had supposedly fixed the update process.Then after 24 hours of trying to upgrade (on my gigabit internet) it was still looping back to being only 30% complete, so how many years do you estimate it would have taken? My flightsim SSD ran at 100% for 24-hrs without a single file being decompressed. In one 6-hr period of no intervention I went from 70% complete to 30% complete. 

Edited by desbean