Sign in to follow this  
omarsmak30

New to Ryzen 7 7800X3D and MSFS, match made in heaven!

1 hour ago, omarsmak30 said:

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I was always with intel and their way of overclocking, I was very confused at first how does the undervolting with AMD works, but taking a step back, actually makes sense.

Now so far, I am running with -30 PBO offset and I think you are right, my cinebench results got a boost with the offset but MSFS, I can't really tell apart from my temperatures now look a bit cooled down in the avg of ~60-65 in contrast to before which was a bit hotter. But again, reading in reddit, looks like even 95c all day, is expected if you want to :D. 

Switching from Intel to AMD and seeing the incredible results in MSFS, Intel gotta push themselves hard to compete 😄

-30 seems great and good enough if you're stable. You could push it further but serious instability seems to really kick in at around this point. A good thing to do is to keep an eye on the Event Logs > Windows Logs > System for any WHEA-logger errors as these always indicate CPU instability.

The same logic of undervolting can also be applied to your GPU. At stock settings Nvidia GPU's apply massive voltages to ensure that the GPU is always 100% stable. This gives far higher voltages and temperatures than is necessary. At these higher voltages the GPU will eventually hit a power limit where the GPU is limited by the power coming from the PSU. At stock settings you actually lose potential performance because the GPU can't remain at its clock speed because it needs to constantly reduce voltage to account for it hitting this power limit.

Undervolting the GPU can really help performance although it does take quite a lot of testing. There is a sweetspot where you can even achieve a greatly increased overclocked GPU boost speed at a lower voltage providing stability is maintained. You'd be surprised how far away the stock settings are from this spot! This is worth a look if you have time and interest as many people will be running their GPU at higher temperatures and voltages for no reason.

Edited by G MIDY
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

14 minutes ago, BelgianTiger_2 said:

I'm planning the same upgrade actually with the same motherboard as well :). Was great reading this actually.
If i may ask,what did you chose as cooling? Air-cooled or AIO?Been reading a couple of threads and one suggest picking an AIO while the other mentions air-cooling is sufficient for this CPU.

I didn't buy new AIO, I am using NZXT X72 AIO from my intel build, just bought AM5 brackets. Been 4 years and I am happy with it :). 

I think is up to what you prefer, I personally don't like the air-cooled due to their massive size and now most AIOs are actually affordable. 

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

26 minutes ago, BelgianTiger_2 said:

I'm planning the same upgrade actually with the same motherboard as well :). Was great reading this actually.
If i may ask,what did you chose as cooling? Air-cooled or AIO?Been reading a couple of threads and one suggest picking an AIO while the other mentions air-cooling is sufficient for this CPU.

I don't think AMD 7800X3D need as extreme cooling as Intel's latest CPU's, I have a Noctua D-15 and it keeps the temp between 60-65 C in MSFS for me.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

You can certainly use a good air cooler with this CPU.  I'm only using my water cooler because I had it already from my efforts to deal with the heat my old i9 10900k put off when overclocked.  Otherwise I would have just used air and kept it simple.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

10 hours ago, mikeymike said:

Enjoy mate !!

I went from a 9900k to a 7950x3d

and wow 🤩 huge difference

6000mhz ram also with a 3080ti 

waiting till the 4090 drops a little and I’ll get one with an oled monitor 4k

mike

Mike any issues w/ 7950x3d I see some stuff about needing to tune for each app.  That can't be, or can it?  Some articles said better to go 7800x3D.  I'm planning a new build, or going to buy  preassembled for the first time since 1992 when I bought my first PC from a local builder.  

I wonder how important 24Gb of VRAM is.   Right now my 12Gb on fairly rare occasion gets too close to full so have to wonder if 16Gb isn't enough.  I'm using 3440x1440 display.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

Now so far, I am running with -30 PBO offset and I think you are right, my cinebench results got a boost with the offset but MSFS, I can't really tell apart from my temperatures now look a bit cooled down in the avg of ~60-65 in contrast to before which was a bit hotter. But again, reading in reddit, looks like even 95c all day, is expected if you want to :D. 

Thermal max for the 7800X3d is 89C at which point it starts throttling.  I'm wondering how they think they're getting 95C?   They might be using a non-3D cpu (they have a higher max)?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

39 minutes ago, Noel said:

Mike any issues w/ 7950x3d I see some stuff about needing to tune for each app.  That can't be, or can it?  Some articles said better to go 7800x3D.  I'm planning a new build, or going to buy  preassembled for the first time since 1992 when I bought my first PC from a local builder.  

I wonder how important 24Gb of VRAM is.   Right now my 12Gb on fairly rare occasion gets too close to full so have to wonder if 16Gb isn't enough.  I'm using 3440x1440 display.

I am not Mike, but have a 7950x3d. No issues at all, and as a benefit you can use the non 3d cores for the apps running in the background.

I manage to get at Asobo's Miama Airport runway 27 to be cpu limited at 107/108 fps on Ultra ( put renderscale at 70 and voila you are cpu limited). This in the Fenix, no traffic at 12 noon. Even the Fenix background apps I put on the non 3d cores. Using the IGPU for the Fenix displays.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

Don't compare temperatures from X3D processors to any other processors, it's not apples to apples. The 3D cache lies above the actual CPU dies, thus creating a 'blanket' of sorts that makes it harder to dissipate heat directly. So you'll see higher and faster spikes even though it's a much lower TDP chip.

The chip is MEANT to run at high temperatures and if you do the PBO undervolt, it'll still run high but boost longer.

Edited by Sethos
  • Like 2

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I was in a similar situation, saw tons of videos about this and reddit and the general agreement is that 7800x3D outperforms 7950x3d for some reason. But honestly for me the motivation the 7800x3D was a deal when I snatched it 😅. But with confidence, I don't think you'd regret if you go with either 7800x3D or 7950x3d, especially I see you are using the same i9-9900 as mine, you'd be shocked when you fly with MSFS after the upgrade lol (the hype around 7xxxX3D is real :D). 

59 minutes ago, omarsmak30 said:

I was in a similar situation, saw tons of videos about this and reddit and the general agreement is that 7800x3D outperforms 7950x3d for some reason.

From what I gathered the 7800X3D slightly outperforms the 7950X3D in "normal" games, but the 7950X3D has an edge over the 7800X3D in MSFS-specific tests I've seen, likely due to the larger L3 cache.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

This is really crazy! Testing my PBO offset -30, sitting at FlyTampa KLAS with Fenix, ultra settings and FSLTL (moderate settings), getting around 45-50 fps, CPU temperature very low 55 to 60. Now the GPU what is holding the CPU back when the VRAM starts to filled up. Very amazing CPU indeed!! 

• Like 1

Do you think upgrading from a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor  3.89 GHz would make a huge difference

64 GB ram

4070ti card

Asus X370-A Motherboard

Ron

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

5 hours ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

Do you think upgrading from a AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor  3.89 GHz would make a huge difference

Yes, absolutely. Your CPU is even slower than his 9900K.

Also, 64 GB of RAM are useless for gaming and often prevent you from meeting the XMP/EXPO limits.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

6 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Yes, absolutely. Your CPU is even slower than his 9900K.

Also, 64 GB of RAM are useless for gaming and often prevent you from meeting the XMP/EXPO limits.

Do you guys think the Asus X370-A Motherboard is good enough or will even work

I cant afford to change both.

Ron

Ron

MSFS -Just flight Piper arrow 28-  A2A Comanche250 - COWS DA42 - Cessna 310 -Cessna 414
Black Square Baron - FSR500 - SimWorks PC12 - Black Square TBM 850
146Pro Plane - PMDG 737-600

1 minute ago, Ron Lefebvre said:

Do you guys think the Asus X370-A Motherboard is good enough or will even work

I cant afford to change both.

Ron

For the 7800X3D, you will need an X6 series motherboard.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.