Sign in to follow this  
Krakin

If you were Microsoft........

6 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

If i did as rubbush a  job as some of these developers do, id of been fired years ago

At my job, you'd be fired for writing posts like you do.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, fsiscool said:

His job obviously doesn't depend on spelling, grammar or attitude 😉 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

10 hours ago, stalz said:

Having been on both sides of acquisitions involving large companies, survived multiple layoffs and dealt with the disruption caused I'd say the last thing you want is for your favorite small development studio to be bought by a larger company. 

At best you're looking at delays, potentially cancelled projects and lots of stress on both sides.  A bigger risk is that key people will leave, get removed or shuffled into the larger organization leaving you with nothing but a brand name and stagnant products.  Big companies have a bad habit of forgetting that the most important part of the company being acquired is the people who work there.

WT seems to be an exceptional case and were of course working for free before being hired on.  I'd say that as long as your favorite developer is financially healthy and producing good products, just let them be.

It really isn't that serious. We're talking about a platform within a gaming division making these purchases. This isn't on the level of MS purchasing Ninja Theory or Playground Games. Most of the 3PDs we're talking about consist of a handful of devs and a lot of them don't even do it full time. As you pointed out, WT is indeed an exceptional case and they are the only ones we have to go by to give us an idea of how any acquisitions would be treated and so far, they seem to be treated really well. MS effectively turned WT into a company by giving the members the ability to quit their (probably lucrative) day jobs so they could turn their hobby into careers.   

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

30 minutes ago, Krakin said:

As you pointed out, WT is indeed an exceptional case and they are the only ones we have to go by to give us an idea of how any acquisitions would be treated and so far, they seem to be treated really well. MS effectively turned WT into a company by giving the members the ability to quit their (probably lucrative) day jobs so they could turn their hobby into careers.   

Yup agreed. Personally I think there's a case for two types of working relationships that MS/Asobo can pursue for MSFS. The likes of WT and single high-profile hires like Andrey Solomykin. Where the 3PDs stand to gain from being acquired or brought more fully into the MS employment fold (like WT) it definitely works. For other more established 3PDs, a close working relationship with contracting funds being injected into the still independent 3PD can also work (like iniBuilds). Perhaps in the case of ini things could work either way, i.e. to keep the status quo relationship or be fully acquired.

Ever since the release of MSFS, Jorg backed by his MS entertainment division execs certainly seem to be doing all the right things when it comes to forging new partnerships and hirings (from aircraft devs to scenery devs to world-dem/weather data providers etc etc).. will be interesting to see how they expand this in 2024 and beyond. I'm still waiting to hear about how/if MS plans to use the base tech/platform of MSFS (i.e. the digital twin earth, AI, etc) for other applications/uses outside of flight simming, and how that then enriches everything including MSFS even further due to new partnerships & acquisitions.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

10 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

The guys at horizon are doing an amazing job for free,  yet these clowns at WT can even fix a small thing like a simple door.....its heartbreaking.

Again, we at WT don't have any artists on staff, the art is handled by other teams. Whether or not any art issues are addressed are decisions made at a level high above our team. If you have an art issue, I would report a Zendesk.

Finally, let me just preface this by saying I have the absolute utmost, massive respect for the folks at Horizon and Kuro, whom we've spoken with personally, sometimes frequently. Prior to AAU2, the systems available in the 787 mods were not even remotely as complete as they are today, missing major systems through no fault of theirs; as we were also freeware developers we know just how long it takes to develop stuff like this in just one's free time (it's truly daunting, and how far they did get is no less impressive). However, I think it's also then fair to recognize that the free work they're doing now is built on the back of something like 15000 hours of WT development time, making all of our lives (and by extension we, the users, benefit) a great deal easier.

As always, specific feedback is the most helpful, and we very much take it to heart. If you have more specific feedback regarding the items you mentioned, we're always happy to look into it (as folks who provide feedback to us here, on our Discord, and on the MSFS forums will gladly attest to). But it's hard to make actionable items when the problem listed is "trim" or "brakes", for example. So, happy to hear more details, if one has them.

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 12

43 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

Again, we at WT don't have any artists on staff, the art is handled by other teams. Whether or not any art issues are addressed are decisions made at a level high above our team. If you have an art issue, I would report a Zendesk.

Finally, let me just preface this by saying I have the absolute utmost, massive respect for the folks at Horizon and Kuro, whom we've spoken with personally, sometimes frequently. Prior to AAU2, the systems available in the 787 mods were not even remotely as complete as they are today, missing major systems through no fault of theirs; as we were also freeware developers we know just how long it takes to develop stuff like this in just one's free time (it's truly daunting, and how far they did get is no less impressive). However, I think it's also then fair to recognize that the free work they're doing now is built on the back of something like 15000 hours of WT development time, making all of our lives (and by extension we, the users, benefit) a great deal easier.

As always, specific feedback is the most helpful, and we very much take it to heart. If you have more specific feedback regarding the items you mentioned, we're always happy to look into it (as folks who provide feedback to us here, on our Discord, and on the MSFS forums will gladly attest to). But it's hard to make actionable items when the problem listed is "trim" or "brakes", for example. So, happy to hear more details, if one has them.

there is countless threads about the doors, the pitch and the N/D issues on the horzon discord.  countless numbers. has been for weeks and weeks.

how hard is to communcaite stuff to others teams/devs in this hobby. Its like cryonnite to IT professionals, the idea of cross working and actually working with others on projects to be of benefit of everyone.  It seems developers are scared of zoom or teams.

we had this with gsx and p3d for years, and with activesky, pmdg and aces back in the day with S Bends with wind shifts.

it really is quite simple to work together to fix problems

if you flew on my airline and each time you flew you kept being given a seat without an armrest even though you raised the issue many times about the armrest do think they airline would send you to the chair manufacturer.

again,  the issues have been raised over and over again. WT have done nothing.

The issues of the servers have been raised over and over again nothing beens done.

the weather shifts issues have been raised over and over again nothing beens done.  activesky are itching to work with asabo.  yet nothing done.

and the solution is to bring out a remamped version of ms2020 and call it 2024.  

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

s

4 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

no i think that people that are incompetent at their jobs should be fired. yes.

and companies that cant take on feedback to fix their own product should be dropped.  

its not a hard concept to understand.

but you look seem quite happy to accept any old junk,  thats why the community keeps churing out junk.

14ppkc-6.png

4 hours ago, fsiscool said:

4 hours ago, St Mawgan said:

well im managed 24 years of annual review, though the second gulf war, september 11 and covid.  so I cant be doing too bad at my job 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

11 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

The guys at horizon are doing an amazing job for free,  yet these clowns at WT can even fix a small thing like a simple door.....its heartbreaking.

At this point you are merely embarrassing your yourself. Reading is fundamental and you are clearly not reading, or not understanding what Matt wrote.

Edited by brinx
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Flight Sim PC - OS: Windows 11 Pro. CPU: i9-13900K.  RAM: 64GB. GPU: NVidia RTX 4090 OC
Flight Sim Xbox - Seriex X, 3TB

11 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

I also work at the same company as him and I also know a number of tc's tri and tre's at the airline that think its a steaming pile of poo, ive also been in that same airline a long time in numerous roles, not to mention, i know aload of the ex virgin guys (not so lucky as John) who ended at Norse, and Tui (after longtail went under), a number of them thinks it gash. Again one is a TRI  

just because one driver on here thinks its ok, doesnt mean they all do, and I know plenty who think its junk.   

my beef is everytime you go mention someone on the horizon issues discord, you get "nothing we can do, its WTs problem" and then bugger all gets done.  The guys at horizon are doing an amazing job for free,  yet these clowns at WT can even fix a small thing like a simple door.....its heartbreaking.

If i did as rubbush a  job as some of these developers do, id of been fired years ago, if I did a job  as rubbish as some of the devs in the hobby 

if we keep accepting half finished tattle,  and then white knight the developers and pilots who have their twitch and youtube "oh look at me " begging bowls its no wonder the standard of addons are garbage

Given the hallucinogenic word-salad, I’m gonna go ahead and assume you’re full of it.

• Like 7

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

On 1/24/2024 at 11:30 PM, lupedelupe said:

Apple. Because they make better OSs. 😆

Not true ....

I would love Microsoft to acquire Aerosoft

.......so they could liquidate it's assets, instantly making the hobby better for everyone. 😄

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

4 hours ago, MattNischan said:

Again, we at WT don't have any artists on staff, the art is handled by other teams.

@MattNischan,

I'd just like to pay respect to you, for responding with perfect sensibilities and a calm, informative approach, to a comment as infantile, self-entitled and silly as 'FluffyFlops'.

Edited by JYW
  • Like 9

Bill

4 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

there is countless threads about the doors, the pitch and the N/D issues on the horzon discord.  countless numbers. has been for weeks and weeks.

how hard is to communcaite stuff to others teams/devs in this hobby. Its like cryonnite to IT professionals, the idea of cross working and actually working with others on projects to be of benefit of everyone.  It seems developers are scared of zoom or teams.

we had this with gsx and p3d for years, and with activesky, pmdg and aces back in the day with S Bends with wind shifts.

it really is quite simple to work together to fix problems

if you flew on my airline and each time you flew you kept being given a seat without an armrest even though you raised the issue many times about the armrest do think they airline would send you to the chair manufacturer.

again,  the issues have been raised over and over again. WT have done nothing.

The issues of the servers have been raised over and over again nothing beens done.

the weather shifts issues have been raised over and over again nothing beens done.  activesky are itching to work with asabo.  yet nothing done.

and the solution is to bring out a remamped version of ms2020 and call it 2024.  

Calm down. If you think you can do better maybe ask WT if you can help them. That's If they want help with the attitude you have... Maybe give you a trial and see what you can do. I bet you could not do half the things you want fixed within a week.... You say you work within an airline seems like CRM is non existent for you.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

there is countless threads about the doors, the pitch and the N/D issues

I'm sorry but I'd fire you from any job for using 'is' instead of 'are' in that sentence.

It's just unforgiveable and I feel like my eyes have been violated.    I'm currently rubbing salt and water into my eyes to see if I can somehow 'unsee' that.   I'm never been so horrified since 80 people in one day wrote "brought" instead of "bought", on Facebook.

• Like 4

Bill