Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Change to MSFS Logo

Last week's MSFS Development Update from Asobo brought a very subtle change to their logo. The previously-used logo appears on top. The new, slightly revised logo appears below that. The updated logo adds the letters MSFS. I'd like to hear some wild speculation about why this change was made. This change was not some random accident. What was the thinking behind it?

xsHqvlP.jpg

• Like 4

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

This was done because the app is commonly referred to as MSFS, not Microsoft Flight Simulator. 

Also maybe so that they can use that smaller MSFS logo in various places (website, store etc) where the bigger one wouldn’t be that legible shrunk down. 

I'm wondering too whether the slight change to the logo might have something to do with the future release of MSFS 2024. I remember that it took a long time for the community to standardize its reference to the sim as "MSFS." Jorg said they deliberately resisted that acronym for a while (for reasons I can't recall). Currently, we have no standardized way to refer to the forthcoming sim: FS24, MSFS24, MSFS2024, MSFS 2024, etc. Maybe they're preparing a standardized, shorthand way for us to differentiate what will soon be two versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Again, I'm just wildly speculating.

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I am really over-excited, nay thrilled, by such a glamorous and, let us not be afraid by the word, revolutionary, yes revolutionary initiative which shows the utterly profound dedication to the inclusion of all the illiterates willing to fly but who cannot read full words, just recognize capital letters. A milestone in inclusiveness. 👏👏

• Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I am really over-excited, nay thrilled, by such a glamorous and, let us not be afraid by the word, revolutionary, yes revolutionary initiative which shows the utterly profound dedication to the inclusion of all the illiterates willing to fly but who cannot read full words, just recognize capital letters. A milestone in inclusiveness. 👏👏

There are many brilliant flight simmers on this board who are not native English speakers. In fact, some of the most beautifully written posts I've ever read here were posted by users whose native language was something other than English. I greatly admire people who can communicate in more than one language, since that is a skill I unfortunately don't possess. If placing "MSFS" in the logo was indeed to provide a shorthand visual cue to non-English speakers, then that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

• Like 7

Yes, a visual cue to non-English speakers is a good thing.

But another possibility for the change: de-emphasizing the 'flight simulator' aspect in preparation for expanding the code base to more than just being about 'flight simulation'.

Well, I wanted to see a spinning circle in the logo, as I do miss the thing!   

Anyway, my take on it is that it might have 2024 added to the new shiny MSFS tile after the launch of the new version.  It will be a quick mod, plus they are good with swapping tiles as we know.

Sorry, I just realised I hadn't set my sarcasm filter for this post. :unsure:

EDIT: As an afterthought, I suppose the 40th Anniversary bit will have to come off at some stage.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

OMG, i just realized it can only mean that FS2024 will be released in one hour and 37 minutes, there is no other way to explain the appearance of MSFS in their logo! 😀

• Like 1

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

I think it's cool, because they adopted a logo based on what the consumers call their software.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

they're going to give a lot more info about 2024 soon so they're taking the steps needed to make a clear distinction between the two sims.

• Like 2

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

I fully appreciate that the new addition will help people who didn't know they were using a flight sim by adding MSFS to the four year old logo. But it still looks like an amateur stick on. Surely any self respecting graphics person ( I'm getting the hang of woke 😁) would look at that and say 'Nah, start again'

• Like 1

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Yes, a visual cue to non-English speakers is a good thing.

They failed to do it in Urdu, Sanskrit, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese and Arabic.

Oh, and Russian.

Edited by Ron Attwood
Forgot Russian
  • Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

7 hours ago, David Mills said:

I'm wondering too whether the slight change to the logo might have something to do with the future release of MSFS 2024. I remember that it took a long time for the community to standardize its reference to the sim as "MSFS." Jorg said they deliberately resisted that acronym for a while (for reasons I can't recall). Currently, we have no standardized way to refer to the forthcoming sim: FS24, MSFS24, MSFS2024, MSFS 2024, etc. Maybe they're preparing a standardized, shorthand way for us to differentiate what will soon be two versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Again, I'm just wildly speculating.

I think it is /because/ they want to NOT differentiate between 2020 and 2024.   They don't mind it being known as "MSFS", or they've acquiesed to the acroynm now.  2024 will simply be the latest version of the same line of software.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB