Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpiritFlyer

Nvidia GTX 560 Ti has arrived

519asus_gtx560.jpgFrom: --Legit Reviews-- ASUS Launches GeForce GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II Graphics Cards with Dual Fan ASUS has launched an entire range of DirectCU II-enhanced graphics cards that include the latest technologies from both AMD and NVIDIA GPU rosters. On the AMD side, ASUS offers the HD 6970 and HD 6950 graphics cards with DirectCU II while for NVIDIA, the GTX 580, GTX 570 and new GTX 560 Ti all ship with the advanced cooling technology. The newly-arrived GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II graphics card from ASUS uses specially-selected TOP GPUs clocked at 900MHz by default, representing a huge 80MHz overclock over reference. We have one of these cards on the test bench right now, so expect a full review soon!"774gtx560ti_videocard.jpgFrom --Legit Reviews--It looks like it's a real fight now between Nvidia and AMD for the middle ground. That makes all of us winners.Kind regards,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've been waiting for this card to be released for a Sandy Bridge 2600K build. There are detailed reviews on Tomshardware and Anandtech. Comparisons should be out soon. I'm wondering if I should get the 560 or pick up a 460 at a good price. Decisions...decisions.

I've been waiting for this card to be released for a Sandy Bridge 2600K build. There are detailed reviews on Tomshardware and Anandtech. Comparisons should be out soon. I'm wondering if I should get the 560 or pick up a 460 at a good price. Decisions...decisions.
Apparently the new Sandy Bridges can feed a video card even more than the i7 930 did when I ran the test with the 580 GTX. I think even the 560 GTX might not be enough card for the i7 2600K.Kind regards,

I'm having a though time choosing between this new 560 or the 570. I have an i7 950 @ 4,2 Ghz and run 1920x1200. I'm having doubt about the lower memorybus of the 560; I'm afraid this will have a negative impact on FSAA.Can anyone comment on my thoughts?

Is the GTX 560 better/faster as the GTX 460? I don´t get clever out of this numbers nVidia is presenting.

The gtx 560 ti performance wise is a gtx 470 replacement according to the major review sites. This fits with the upgrade of their product line performance in regards to numbering, for the 580 is now their flagship, the 570 replaces the 480 and now the 560 replaces the 470. I've decided to get a 560 for my system below; I'll run a few informal before/after tests and post results here in a week or two. I mentioned this too in my 'yet another upgrade' thread.

Is the GTX 560 better/faster as the GTX 460? I don´t get clever out of this numbers nVidia is presenting.
The two key numbers for FSX are Texture Fill Rate and Memory bandwidth560: 52.5 - 128460: 38 - 115

I have two queries, if I upgrade to the GTX560Ti from my 9800GTX+ will I see significant benefit in performance and specifically antaliaising of clouds etc.?Also will I have enough space to fit this card considering the 9800GTX+ is already a tight fight?ThanksShez

I'm waiting to see data about 560 performance in FSX myself. Different manufacturers use different size circuit boards and socket configurations on their 560s. The EVGA 560 is 9 inches long, with the power sockets on the end of the card. Other manufacturers have the sockets on the top edge, which would make installation easier in tight cases. Check reviews and manufacturer web sites. You should be able to get the info you need.

The two key numbers for FSX are Texture Fill Rate and Memory bandwidth560: 52.5 - 128460: 38 - 115
Can anyone explain exactly what these two figures represent in terms of the effect they have? Is one more important than the other for FSX?For example, putting everything else aside, what would be the better for FSX;GTX560 52.5 128GTX570 43.9 152GTX580 49.4 192The 560 has a much higher Texture Fill Rate but a much lower Memory bandwidth......how does this present itself in real world terms?

I got my gtx 560, a MSI twin frozr II. What is my FSX experience with this card in my system (see below)? I only need one word: Headroom. My opinion with my somewhat modest monitor is that now I'm only CPU limited. I did a flight from Palo Alto CA to Reno Nevada via Sacramento in the Acceleration P51 that was buttery bliss the entire way pegged at my limited 33 fps, as well as several other GA flights in major metropolitan areas that were also as satisfying. My settings are 100% density/autogen, 90 mi/max clouds, 35% air and no car traffic, with NickN's suggested nvidia settings, along with the UsePools=0 tweak and a couple of the other well respected tweaks. No problems with any artifacts using these tweaks; for FTX PNW big cities I have to notch down autogen but only to maintain smoothness. A few years ago I swore I'd never pay more that $200 for a graphics card; what a chump I was...this thing makes my gtx 275 ($200 card) look really sad in comparison. Rise of Flight also shows major improvements in smoothness and with bumped up IQ settings. (Waiting patiently for the new IL-2 Cliffs of Dover to arrive.) Thanks for reading.

I got my gtx 560, a MSI twin frozr II. What is my FSX experience with this card in my system (see below)? I only need one word: Headroom. My opinion with my somewhat modest monitor is that now I'm only CPU limited. I did a flight from Palo Alto CA to Reno Nevada via Sacramento in the Acceleration P51 that was buttery bliss the entire way pegged at my limited 33 fps, as well as several other GA flights in major metropolitan areas that were also as satisfying. My settings are 100% density/autogen, 90 mi/max clouds, 35% air and no car traffic, with NickN's suggested nvidia settings, along with the UsePools=0 tweak and a couple of the other well respected tweaks. No problems with any artifacts using these tweaks; for FTX PNW big cities I have to notch down autogen but only to maintain smoothness. A few years ago I swore I'd never pay more that $200 for a graphics card; what a chump I was...this thing makes my gtx 275 ($200 card) look really sad in comparison. Rise of Flight also shows major improvements in smoothness and with bumped up IQ settings. (Waiting patiently for the new IL-2 Cliffs of Dover to arrive.) Thanks for reading.
That are really good news. Yeah, I´m going out to get it.

Can anyone explain exactly what these two figures represent in terms of the effect they have? Is one more important than the other for FSX?For example, putting everything else aside, what would be the better for FSX;GTX560 52.5 128GTX570 43.9 152GTX580 49.4 192The 560 has a much higher Texture Fill Rate but a much lower Memory bandwidth......how does this present itself in real world terms?
how can the fill rate on the 560 be higher than the 480 ?if it was my money, and had a PSU that can cope - I'd go for an EOL GTX470

I´m considering getting a ASUS´ 1GB variant. I´m pondering if the onboard memory is sufficient running even the most demanding sceneries with maximum scenery complexity, if the CPU is up to snuff? One example might be ORBX´s Canberra (YSCB), which seems to be very demanding according to reports on FTX´s forum.

It is really good hear your experience. I should have my 560 OC on Tuesday to replace a Radian 5770. I am really looking forward to the improvement.

For those with a gtx 560 ti on the way, note that the driver on the install CD may already be out of date (at least mine was). I used the latest gtx 560 ti driver downloaded from nvidia, 266.66; I didn't use the install CD except to verify its driver version. Zero problem, joy only...Enjoy!

DannyR,Did you finally get the GTX 560?How does it compare to the 5770?I am also thinking of getting a GTX 560 to replace my ATI 5770, mainly because of the slowdowns/stuttering when I fly in heavy cloudy/overcast weather.Have you seen improvements especially when flying in heavy weather?

DannyR,Did you finally get the GTX 560?How does it compare to the 5770?I am also thinking of getting a GTX 560 to replace my ATI 5770, mainly because of the slowdowns/stuttering when I fly in heavy cloudy/overcast weather.Have you seen improvements especially when flying in heavy weather?
This will help your ATI card. Must follow instructions (to rebuild shader folder see post #17 in the below linked shader thread).shaderEven a GTX 580 will struggle in clouds with an improperly tuned shader cache.

Yes, I did get the 560 Ti. I really like the improvement. It handles FSX much better than the 5770. Clouds still have an impact on the frame rate. However, not near as much. Flights in heavy cloudy weather is no where near as much of a problem. It is not perfect, but, it is close. I use Orbx PNW and flight with pretty high settings (everything is over mid setting with most maxed). I can maintain a minimum of 20+ FPS everywhere, to include in and out of KSEA in stormy cloudy weather.I would absolutely purchase the 560 Ti OC again to replace the 5770.

Thanks for your answers!Based on your comments and also on the comments of others it seems that such an upgrade brings substantial performance and image quality improvements.I am going to replace the 5770 with the 560 as soon as my budget permits.. :blush:Until then, and because I do not want to trade off realistic weather depiction (ASE+maximum cloud density) and fluid flight, I prefer to trade off some overall IQ.So, to avoid stutters in heavy weather I did the following:AA from SuperSampling to MultiSampling 2xAF from 16x to 8xturned down about 25% the autogen treesreduced the cumulus textures (REX2) to 512x512I already use Bojote's shader 3.0 modThis allows me to have very minimal to absolutely no stuttering/fps hit even under the most demanding weather conditions.

for FSX use - whats the advantage of going for a 560 over a 480 ? other than power and heat ?just - even "pre-overclocked" 480s - over here in UK are around same price as a 560 ?surely a 480 would have more grunt when using lots of FSAA etc ?

Well.. couldn't wait any more..I just ordered the MSI Twin Frozr 560 TI OC 1GB.I will test it tomorrow and report my impressions.

Well, last Friday I received my brand new MSI Twin Frozr 560 TI OC 1GB!! Big%20Grin.gifBig%20Grin.gifI immediately proceeded to replace the 5770 and installed the latest Nvidia drivers and NVidia Inspector.Please keep in mind that, as I have a relatively old CPU (q9550@3.4GHz), the UsePools=0 tweak is an absolute must to help offload the CPU and keep things smooth. I also use the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.1 for the same reason.My first impressions on the switch from the 5770 to the gtx560:In overcast weather the 5770 struggled to keep up and many times failed, producing flashing clouds, vertical spikes emerging from autogen trees and heavy stutters. I tried to offload the GPU by reducing graphics setting but even without AA and AF the problems sometimes persisted.With the new 560 it's another world!! With the same settings the GPU usage is about 30-40%. No flashes, no spikes, no stutters, no nothing!!Then I started using advanced settings and filtering. Settled to AA 8xS and Transparency Multisampling enabled. The GPU load elevated to 60-80%. But.. stunning awesome visuals!! Nowhere near the 5770 jaggy world. Beautiful smooth misty fjords, valleys, mountains, without a hint of flashes - spikes - stutters even in the heaviest weather.. The 560 does not even blink when flying in heavy (ASE produced, 3 layer) clouds! Of course you have to be careful with the settings. Push it up to more advanced filtering modes (16xS, SS Transparency, Sparse Grid Supersampling) and the load goes over the top, but this is true about any card. Also you have to keep an eye to the autogen. I keep it to DENSE and continue to use TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1100 Sure the card has its limitations BUT the point is that they are well over from what I need to absolutely enjoy the sim. Which was not the case with the 5770.Also the card is completely silent when idle (very low noise at full load, never heard it when in FSX) and very cold at 31C idle and about 60-65C full load, when the 5770 was at 50C idle and well over 80C at full load. As an additional bonus the overall system temperatures dropped inside the case with the CPU cores at 4-5C lower than before!!!In short I am very, very happy about the upgrade.I am now in FSX nirvana Angel.gif

Hi I'm new on this forum.I see a lot of people have the HD5770 card from ATI and so have I. I do experience stutters now and then, but my biggest problem is the framerate. Usually at big airports I have about 16-17 fps especially at Frankfurt, Amsterdam and London, and that's with Ifly, if I use planes like the 747 the fps drops even more. My specs are:I5 760 2.8 @ 3.3 (considering setting it back cause of the temp) 4gb DDR3 RAMATI HD5770So I was hoping that buying the GTX 560 would increase the framerate. I know that cpu has a bigger impact than gpu, but I think the gpu has quite a lot to say as well. I've heard people say that the nvidia cards (especially the newer once) is better in VC. In my FSX the fps drops at once I enter virtual cockpit. So I was hoping that the GTX card would be the soloution to most of my FSX problems. To you who had the 5770, did the fps improve much after you instaled the 560?Thank you and have a nice day!

Hi I'm new on this forum.I see a lot of people have the HD5770 card from ATI and so have I. I do experience stutters now and then, but my biggest problem is the framerate. Usually at big airports I have about 16-17 fps especially at Frankfurt, Amsterdam and London, and that's with Ifly, if I use planes like the 747 the fps drops even more. My specs are:I5 760 2.8 @ 3.3 (considering setting it back cause of the temp) 4gb DDR3 RAMATI HD5770So I was hoping that buying the GTX 560 would increase the framerate. I know that cpu has a bigger impact than gpu, but I think the gpu has quite a lot to say as well. I've heard people say that the nvidia cards (especially the newer once) is better in VC. In my FSX the fps drops at once I enter virtual cockpit. So I was hoping that the GTX card would be the soloution to most of my FSX problems. To you who had the 5770, did the fps improve much after you instaled the 560?Thank you and have a nice day!
I would get a better cooler and overclock the CPU. I used to have a I5 750 @4GHz with a GTX460. Before that a 5770 and a GTX260. You are going to see an improvement if you get a GTX560 in image quality (Antialiasing ) and better performance in bad wheather posibly, but at those big airports your problem is the CPU clocks.