Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thunderbird8

What's the latest thinking regarding full screen v windowed mode?

I was told a couple of years ago by a tech at our online FS group not to run FSX in full screen, but to size a window to just a millimetre or so smaller than full. Something to do with the way Windows runs things and allocates resources. At the time it seemed to improve FPS. Just wondered what people's take on this is nowadays in light of all the tweaks out there? I tested it the other day and it didn't appear to make much difference in the NGX.

I get a huge reduction in frame rate if I go windowed, if I hide the taskbar it comes up but never to the rate I have full screen.

Interesting. I have got used to flying windowed because I have two monitors and often have various other stuff running at the same time, like VA software, Safari, Teamspeak, FS Commander etc and I haven't figured out how to switch between apps when in full screen mode.

My system seems to be running 3-4 FPS faster when in windowed mode (taskbar hidden). I too run some applications like my virtual airline's flight recorder. So running FSX in windowed mode is better for me.

System dependent, I think. My old computer (9650 CPU) was faster in windowed mode, current one (i5 2500K) is slightly faster in full-screen mode. I prefer windowed mode, though, for ease of access to other programs that I run on a second monitor.

Same here, at first I thought I would never use windowed mode, but after using so many other programs while running FSX, there is no choice for me but to go windowed. It´s maybe a little bit faster in fullscreen, but not much.

I don't see any difference, also i need to run in windowed mode to eliminate the black screen thing that happen's when using the Atilag FPS limiter + i use Radar contact which requires me to go to windowed mode to activate, then back again. Plus i have EzDok/Trackir which requires the odd tweak here and there. Especially during times like these i.e. 737NGX set up.

I just love the unclutterd view, so it is full-screen for me. Anyway I have a second screen attached to the second DVI outlet from the card, and in full screen I can slide the pop-ups across to the second screen - CDU, ATC, throttle quadrant or whatever I need. It means they are not confined within a window so I don't have to look at them all the time while I fly, or switch views to the outside. With the second screen (easily setup in the nVidia control panel) my whole experience is made so much better.

Have you got enabled vSync enabled/disabled in both windowed and full screen? This is the only thing that makes a difference on my rig. I tend to fly airliners/ifr in a maximized window using EZCA (vsync disabled) so I can have charts/weather etc on my second monitor and full screen for GA/VFR with Trackir (vsync enabled).

always full screen, in fact full screen across 3 22inch monitors, looks naff in windowed mode, I have a second PC that is networked and runs ASE AES, FSINN, Topcat, Fspuic, displays charts, etc which far better as none of those programs are then taking away resources or fragmenting my harddrives on FSX pc. Also get far better frame rates on fullscreen.

System dependent it would appear - some find windowed mode to have more fps, some less.Main point is DO NOT keep flicking between the two else FSX WILL crash eventually due to an old bug. On my system it makes no difference at all in either mode, not that I care about fps in any event as long as the sim is steady and stable at a reasonable rate.John Ellison

I haven't seen any difference whatsoever, but i do think it varies from system to system. Also, I seem unable to get Vsync to work in windowed mode, so that's the main reason for me running fullscreen anyway.

I haven't seen any difference whatsoever, but i do think it varies from system to system. Also, I seem unable to get Vsync to work in windowed mode, so that's the main reason for me running fullscreen anyway.
Add this to the [graphics] section of fsx.cfg ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1 Works fine for me in window mode with vysnc forced on

I just love the unclutterd view, so it is full-screen for me. Anyway I have a second screen attached to the second DVI outlet from the card, and in full screen I can slide the pop-ups across to the second screen - CDU, ATC, throttle quadrant or whatever I need. It means they are not confined within a window so I don't have to look at them all the time while I fly, or switch views to the outside. With the second screen (easily setup in the nVidia control panel) my whole experience is made so much better.
That's weird, I have an NVIDIA with two DVIs but if I have my second screen attached and I go full screen on the main one, the second screen goes blank....

I was told a couple of years ago by a tech at our online FS group not to run FSX in full screen, but to size a window to just a millimetre or so smaller than full. Something to do with the way Windows runs things and allocates resources. At the time it seemed to improve FPS. Just wondered what people's take on this is nowadays in light of all the tweaks out there? I tested it the other day and it didn't appear to make much difference in the NGX.
Fullscreen all the way. Fullscreen is a lot smoother for me, plus I don't have the window borders which destroy immersion.

Add this to the [graphics] section of fsx.cfg ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1 Works fine for me in window mode with vysnc forced on
Thanks Graham, sure I've tried that but with no success. Maybe it was finger trouble and I should try again wink.png
That's weird, I have an NVIDIA with two DVIs but if I have my second screen attached and I go full screen on the main one, the second screen goes blank....
Sure, mine does the same. I think it is something to do with the graphics card setup, it's nothing to be too concerned with.

If you run windowed mode you just have to make sure that nothing is overlaying the FS window. In Vista this can happen from the "globe" of the start button sitting on top of FSX, you have to pull the window up slightly to get it off of it. Shouldn't be a problem in XP or Win7, you can just maximize the window and it'll be fine. Also, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.

I am always wary of mucking about with my graphics settings in Windows (Oh for the NGX/FSX to be on a Mac!!) as I'm not that confident in the windows environment, rat-infested pit that it is. Raised Eyebrow.gif I would love to be able to set it up to go full-screen on my main monitor but still allow me to run other things on my second...

There's just too many problems running two screens with full screen. The main problem is that alt-tabbing in and out of full-screen mode causes all kinds of problems. FS doesn't seem to like it and starts behaving erratically when I leave FS to mess with a utility and come back. Also, for me at least, my monitors are two different resolutions so trying to move a panel over from one screen to the other on full-screen mode causes the system to all but lock up while it resizes the panel... sometimes it takes 2-3 minutes for somethng like a full-screen overhead panel. And in full screen mode, the second monitor isn't "blank" ... it's just empty waiting for you to drag a view window or a panel over there, which you can do without undocking. So I fly in windowed mode, with my "second" monitor used for FS, and the built-in laptop screen for everything else. I keep the taskbar and everything off of the FS screen, and it works pretty well. With the taskbar on the other screen it's practically full screen anyway.

Also, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.
I didn't know that. Right now, even on my two year old system, I'm getting between 15 to 25 fps. In other words it looks smooth so I am happy. That is running in windowed mode during flight. When I go to make a landing I switch to full screen or else I will drop down to between 8 to 15 frames which makes landing very tough. So what line are you saying I should change. The one in my FSX.cfg file that says "ForceFullScreenVSync=1"? I should change that to "0" and see how it works for my machine?

IAlso, do not run v-sync on in windowed mode, it isn't triple buffered like the full screen version is and you'll end up with the only possible framerates being the refresh rate divided by 2, 3, 4, etc. This can easily be the source of lower frames in windowed - if the system can't maintain 60FPS, the next one down is 30, then 15, then 7.5 etc.
Well that mystery is solved, thanks!

In a way I feel the NGX has lessened the issue, as it does seem to run similarly in each mode. Interesting debate though gents, thank you all.