Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

What's the latest thinking regarding full screen v windowed mode?

I was told a couple of years ago by a tech at our online FS group not to run FSX in full screen, but to size a window to just a millimetre or so smaller than full. Something to do with the way Windows runs things and allocates resources. At the time it seemed to improve FPS. Just wondered what people's take on this is nowadays in light of all the tweaks out there? I tested it the other day and it didn't appear to make much difference in the NGX.

I get a huge reduction in frame rate if I go windowed, if I hide the taskbar it comes up but never to the rate I have full screen.

Interesting. I have got used to flying windowed because I have two monitors and often have various other stuff running at the same time, like VA software, Safari, Teamspeak, FS Commander etc and I haven't figured out how to switch between apps when in full screen mode.

My system seems to be running 3-4 FPS faster when in windowed mode (taskbar hidden). I too run some applications like my virtual airline's flight recorder. So running FSX in windowed mode is better for me.

Murat Okay

Turkish Virtual Airlines

Senior Captain

www.turkishvirtual.com

System dependent, I think. My old computer (9650 CPU) was faster in windowed mode, current one (i5 2500K) is slightly faster in full-screen mode. I prefer windowed mode, though, for ease of access to other programs that I run on a second monitor.

Same here, at first I thought I would never use windowed mode, but after using so many other programs while running FSX, there is no choice for me but to go windowed. It´s maybe a little bit faster in fullscreen, but not much.

I don't see any difference, also i need to run in windowed mode to eliminate the black screen thing that happen's when using the Atilag FPS limiter + i use Radar contact which requires me to go to windowed mode to activate, then back again. Plus i have EzDok/Trackir which requires the odd tweak here and there. Especially during times like these i.e. 737NGX set up.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I just love the unclutterd view, so it is full-screen for me. Anyway I have a second screen attached to the second DVI outlet from the card, and in full screen I can slide the pop-ups across to the second screen - CDU, ATC, throttle quadrant or whatever I need. It means they are not confined within a window so I don't have to look at them all the time while I fly, or switch views to the outside. With the second screen (easily setup in the nVidia control panel) my whole experience is made so much better.

Have you got enabled vSync enabled/disabled in both windowed and full screen? This is the only thing that makes a difference on my rig. I tend to fly airliners/ifr in a maximized window using EZCA (vsync disabled) so I can have charts/weather etc on my second monitor and full screen for GA/VFR with Trackir (vsync enabled).

always full screen, in fact full screen across 3 22inch monitors, looks naff in windowed mode, I have a second PC that is networked and runs ASE AES, FSINN, Topcat, Fspuic, displays charts, etc which far better as none of those programs are then taking away resources or fragmenting my harddrives on FSX pc. Also get far better frame rates on fullscreen.

System dependent it would appear - some find windowed mode to have more fps, some less.Main point is DO NOT keep flicking between the two else FSX WILL crash eventually due to an old bug. On my system it makes no difference at all in either mode, not that I care about fps in any event as long as the sim is steady and stable at a reasonable rate.John Ellison

I haven't seen any difference whatsoever, but i do think it varies from system to system. Also, I seem unable to get Vsync to work in windowed mode, so that's the main reason for me running fullscreen anyway.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776