Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

'Freemium' 757

Just finished flying the JF Free 757 around the circuit at Bodo in Norway and Shannon in Ireland. No weather set to avoid any "erroneous" readings or movement EXCEPT when testing the autopilot in a crosswind.Good points:1: It's FREE!2: Looks pretty good for a freeware airliner IMO. Others will disagree (my main interests are flight dynamics not eye-candy)3: Nice sounds. They have the authentic Rolls Royce "whine"4: Handling is pretty damn good in 60mins of test flight. Replicates large jet handling nicely using my Saitek Yoke5: VC is functional and the important buttons and knobs appear to work6: TCAS (it shows the other aircraft accurately with correct descent/climb labels. Not sure if it has TA/RA warnings/advisories..not had time to check)7: Autopilot holds speed/pitch and roll well. Accurate on approach despite a crosswindNot so good points:1: FMC - Not sure where this came from but it isn't anything like the Boeing 757 FMC so gave up trying to "program" it2: Some instruments difficult to read in VC unless zoomed in ie airspeedCouldn't really think of much else to criticise.Well done Justflight and thank you for bringing a nice albeit quite basic simulation of a wonderful aeroplane. For free!Regards,Adam

Well I didn't have a 757 of any sorts, and I had never bought an F-Lite aircraft so I was glad to be able to give this a look. The first thing that struck me was despite some very nice engine sounds, the cockpit suffered from a lack of switch / gong noises. Even adding a...[NO_SMOKING_ALERT]filename=CabinAlert... to the sound.cfg file didn't change anything.I then started a LINDA-assisted peek at the switches and gizmos to see what was happening. There are a lot of values being generated but the system modelling doesn't take advantage of them all. For instance I see that I need to have the center pumps on to start the engines, but I can start the APU w/o the "APU FUEL VALVE" being open. Now I take it that this is a "lite system" and I'm not looking down at it for that. But if I would pay 1.99USD for a livery, I would certainly pay a few bucks for a more in-depth system simulation.I then performed an ISG-otomy, adding the Boeing gauge set and the Smiths FMC so I could try my EFB routes. Hee hee - works. Then I replaced the JF FMC in the v/c with the ISG. The aircraft's 3D model and v/c disappeared!I tried a reload, thinking I had done something silly in my panel editing, but no go. Then I played a hunch and added the JF FMC back to the v/c at the old 1,1,1,1 position. After a reload, all was back to normal - the ISG FMC sits in the place I want it to (with a slight tint difference from the adajacent panels, but nothing objectional) and all looks right.Frame rates are very high and my overall impression is positive, so my next step is to take a flight and see how it handles. I'll honor the free livery and likely load up for a quick EGSS - EGCC flight after a GMT daybreak.

Well I didn't have a 757 of any sorts, and I had never bought an F-Lite aircraft so I was glad to be able to give this a look. The first thing that struck me was despite some very nice engine sounds, the cockpit suffered from a lack of switch / gong noises. Even adding a...[NO_SMOKING_ALERT]filename=CabinAlert
Hmmm.. mine worked right away. I actually find their Fasten Seat Belts gong noise to be too loud and irritating. If you have the CLS A330/A340, or the A300/A310, replace the 757 gong sounds for theirs, which are much better IMO.

Well what do expect it is freeware and is not supposed to be an accurate systems model. Hence the F-lite name.
My F-Lite a340 is reminiscent of the Airbus FMC, this is not the case with this add-on. Also, the overhead panel is a joke!

HelloThe OP thinks the aircraft is great, he also thinks the FMC is great and he does not mind paying out for liveries, so in that respect the product has hit its target market.But I will attempt to answer the OP without using terms such as crap or garbage.The model is extremely basic but does look roughly like a 757.The VC is crude at best , the default 737 is on a whole different level to this.The FMC does not function at all like an FMC , it can load a plan but that's about it.The MCP lacks Vnav and even Level change, so impossible to simulate flying the aircraft this is supposed to represent.A nice gesture from Just Flight to give this away, but what else could they have done given the state of it.
failed response ....

The F-Lite line is aimed at the simmer who wants to do things a bit deeper than the default A/C allow. The 'Easy' FMC is aimed at people who dont want to program for 15 minutes before flying, but want a feel of loading a plan, fuel, weights and having it spit out V1 speeds, etc.For a basic FMC, it's pretty good. It not supposed to be exactly like a real FMC, as many people don't have the patience to learn how to use them.I've learned how, and a flight with a full FMC in FSX is rewarding, but to those who dont have the time to learn them, F-Lite is a good alternative.If a patch is in the works, though, can we have speed and altitude tapes on the PFD?, otherwise, nice work.
It's probably safe to say the F-Lite line comes with selective functionality and detail for reasons similar to the concepts described. Additionally, the development I would also request consideration for improved PFDs in future patches. I downloaded the base but have not installed yet. Therefore, I cannot effectively describe my experience with the product.

Keith Guillory

It's probably safe to say the F-Lite line comes with selective functionality and detail for reasons similar to the concepts described. Additionally, the development I would also request consideration for improved PFDs in future patches. I downloaded the base but have not installed yet. Therefore, I cannot effectively describe my experience with the product.
You sure said a lot, to say you have nothing to say LOL.gif

I downloaded it but Just Flight expects me to register and demands my phone number and e-mail address before i could install it.Why doesn't Just Flight mention this reqirement on its download page?I've deleted it so I shall never know hoe good (or bad) it is.
I never even got that far. I downloaded it and when I run the exe nothing happens for a while and I eventually get an error -5001 with some comments about XP Service Packs and IE6. I went to there site and downloaded a program that is supposed to clear out the setup info that was partially installed so I could try installing it again. After running it I get the same -5001 error again. If their installer is so flawed I am going to forget it. I don't need any stupid flawed installer. Give me the old zip file type and I'll install it myself. Oh well I read that it is not that good anyway. Bob.

You sure said a lot, to say you have nothing to say LOL.gif
What you don't know is that it took about 40 minutes for me to finish that post. I'm too sleepy to think and should stay off this forum until found fit for duties by a flight surgeon.Hypnotized.gif

Keith Guillory

Will not install it under such terms!
You need to enter your email address but there is the option to opt out of any further contact from us. If you choose that option then you will never hear from us again and your email address will never be shared with anyone else. We take data protection very seriously and are regularly audited to ensure compliance.It does ask for a telephone number (usually we ask for it in case there is a problem with an order you have placed and we need to contact you). In this case, between you and me, just type any old random number in there. Trust me, nobody here has the time or inclination to ever start ringing people up trying to cold-sell, and again it would never be shared with anyone.
(P.S., to the JF people on here: Will we be seeing more livery packs in the near future?)
It's certainly a possibility. We will have to see how successful the Freemium method is first.
Why doesn't JustFlight make it clear on its site that registration is required - rather than hiding the factuntil people have wasted time downloading?
Apologies - our mistake. I thought this information was on all pages. I just checked and it's only been added to the landing page here: http://www.justflight.com/757freemiumnews.aspI'll have this info added to the other 757 page as well.
If their installer is so flawed I am going to forget it. I don't need any stupid flawed installer
No problem with the installer (it's been successfully installed thousands of times over the last couple of days). Out tech support people will be glad to help out if you like: www.justflight.com/support.aspThanksRich

failed response ....
HelloWhy is is a failed response ?.Everthing in my reply is fact, based on downloading installing and trying this product.The model is extremely basic but does look roughly like a 757. --FactThe VC is crude at best , the default 737 is on a whole different level to this. --FactThe FMC does not function at all like an FMC , it can load a plan but that's about it. --FactThe MCP lacks Vnav and even Level change, so impossible to simulate flying the aircraft this is supposed to represent. --FactI could have added that there is no speed tape or altitude tape so not only does this simulated 757 have no automatic means of ascending and decendingYou also have no means of telling if you are in fact going up or down other than looking out of the window.Nothing there for anyone to get upset about, just the facts as I see them.Try it for yourself, its free.Give us all the benefit of your wisdom as to how well this simulates a 757

Mad Dog, why not just uninstall the 757 and move on to another aircraft and another topic? It's an F-Lite title and it sounds like you would get more enjoyment from something from our Professional range.It obviously isn't something for you, but it hasn't cost you anything so I don't see why you continue to waste your time with it?

Mad Dog, why not just uninstall the 757 and move on to another aircraft and another topic? It's an F-Lite title and it sounds like you would get more enjoyment from something from our Professional range.It obviously isn't something for you, but it hasn't cost you anything so I don't see why you continue to waste your time with it?
HelloI already have.I had a look through the professional range and I already have some of them so its not like I have any issue with JFOne thing I did notice though was that on the product page for the Wilco citationX you are showing a video of the FMC setup.This is in fact a video of the Eaglesoft CitationX V2 FMC setup by CXAviator linked from Youtube.This is very misleading and needs to be changed.

I could have added that there is no speed tape or altitude tape so not only does this simulated 757 have no automatic means of ascending and decendingYou also have no means of telling if you are in fact going up or down other than looking out of the window.
It has a VSI, ASI and altimeter...Many 757s do not have a speed or altitude tape on the PFD, Airliners.net is full of photos that confirm this.

Martyn - Just Flight

Interesting business idea from JF. I tested the aircraft very briefly yesterday and it seems quite nice, although A318/19 or especially A320 F-lites that I own seem to be somewhat higher quality at least in my opinion. But still quite nice model and I think there is not much better freeware alternatives for this. Also engine sound seemed very nice!I really not understand whining about the product. It is f-lite, so there is simply no reason to compare this to PMDG products as they are not meant to be in same category. F-lites are more start-the-game-and-fly planes and in that they are pretty much perfect. Not everybody have always the time to fiddle for an hour to take off and these are great planes for newbies who probably would scare to death if PMDG NGX type planes would be only alternative for first paywares. Besides, if you don't like it, select the plane folder, press shift-delete and no harm was done and not a single buck was wasted.