Sign in to follow this  
Tui737

Active Sky 2012 & NGX

Good question ... Uninstall REX? And use AS2012 alone? Or no????I'll wait to see a FSX with AS2012 alone running ... I tjink it will be worth ...

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Good question ... Uninstall REX? And use AS2012 alone? Or no????I'll wait to see a FSX with AS2012 alone running ... I tjink it will be worth ...
Subject to the AS2012 being better than the REX ones. Otherwise AS2012 will be used only as the weather engine, which ASE does pretty well already.I agree with James that 40 Euros is too much for people that already have REX!

How does the 2012 install facility deal with a networked machine where textures should be installed on the FSX machine and the engine on the networked machine? Do you need to complete an install on both machines or are textures installed from the networked machine.Additionally, I never understood the snapshot install for each flight. can you tell me more about that as well?Thanks,

I own both REX and ASE and am a bit confused whether the additional 40 Euros for AS2012 is really worth it, especially considering the FREE update that's about to come:http://www.realenvir...-rex-essential/I mean how much better can the AS2012 textures be than the REX ones to justify this amount? Or will the weather engine be so much improved that will really make a difference?Since now I've never had any problems as I used REX for texture and ASE for weather, but now I'm totally confused. Money doesn't fall from the sky and I really don't want to spend 40 Euros for something that won't make any simming difference or I might not use whatsoever.Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.
Same, here. Little bit confused. I will be waiting for some feedback, but I think it will then be too late to benefit from the price reduction, that's only 3 days.

Confirmed...just make sure EFB is pointed towards C:Users"your name"AppDataRoamingHiFiAS2012Weathercurrent_wx_snapshot.txt
Thanks, that makes it even more interesting!Currently like many others I'm using ASE and REX. If I decide to replace these with AS 2012 will I have to reinstall FSX or will AS 2012 simply overwrite all textures necessary?And about performance, are you guys saying you get better performance with AS 2012 than with the combo ASE and REX?

Richard Åsberg

I too am a ASE + REX user. I just acquired AS2012 last night and will be interested in performance and weather depiction. I hope to get some flight time in today. The install was seamless and quick. I am interested in all the observations you may have. Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Im sort of irked that people who already own ASE are being asked to pay such a large amount for an "upgrade"... I realize that there is a large texture package in addition to the improved WX engine, but $40 is still a lot. I dont think ill give up REX and would only really want AS2012 for its weather engine.. can anybody confirm an improvement in weather depiction/cloud transitions. Big thing that annoys me with ASE is the sudden shifts.. i.e - clear skies one second, then OVC the next in the blink of an eye, and back to clear skies within 5 minutes. I miss FS9 and AS6.5 where you could see the weather in the distance approaching, much more realistic transitions.

Tom Moretti

Intel i7-7700k @ 4.8 Ghz - MSI Z270 Gaming M5 - 16GB DDR4-3200 Gskill - Nvidia GTX1080 - Corsair H100i V2 - 500GB Samsung 960 EVO m.2 - Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Im sort of irked that people who already own ASE are being asked to pay such a large amount for an "upgrade"... I realize that there is a large texture package in addition to the improved WX engine, but $40 is still a lot. I dont think ill give up REX and would only really want AS2012 for its weather engine.. can anybody confirm an improvement in weather depiction/cloud transitions. Big thing that annoys me with ASE is the sudden shifts.. i.e - clear skies one second, then OVC the next in the blink of an eye, and back to clear skies within 5 minutes. I miss FS9 and AS6.5 where you could see the weather in the distance approaching, much more realistic transitions.
Blame Simconnect... I think.I loved too AS6.5 and FS9 but they couldn't do it on FSX. Too bad.

Hi Guys,IS ASE2012, mainly textures? [use rex so not much use] Or does it change the engine,my concerns in the past have been the performance fluctuations of ASE, but I will update fully and see what happens
Not trying to sell as2012 to u, but its textures and a much improoved engine, i had a flight earlier in the ngx and it was the smoothest flight ive had, no s-turns, no stuttering, just awesome and the new textures are lovely too.2011_12_16_14_58_18_357.jpg

Chris Howard

Screenshots of AS2012 in action please! Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Hi guysI've done a longer flight since coming home & NGX performed fine. I've seen no hit on frames, infact it appears to run smoother. One of the things I did read was to minimise Active Sky 2012 after flight planning, I've not done this before with ASE so it could be just that. I'm not getting into wheather it's worth upgrading from REX because that is a personal issue. It looks very similar & at first glance you would be asking if the money was well spent. For me, it is. I like the textures of the clouds when you are up close & flying through them. I love the way visability is shown & for me it's much more realistic.I will give some more details tomorrow but I started this thread to talk about the NGX when using 2012 & so far it's performed great & I feel my enjoyment of the NGX & the environment has grown enormously.Just a quick note: Active Sky 2012 is a six part download & over 3gig. If you intend to consider it. Read the user guide before hand & take note about FSUIPC requirements.

Appreciate the post and the information - read that it's released on Monday (19th) though?Pls disregardThanksCarl Beeby

In your sig i see you have ASE, this means you qualify for a 40% discount available now for 3 days. Head over to there forum if you want to find out some more info.

Chris Howard

In your sig i see you have ASE, this means you qualify for a 40% discount available now for 3 days. Head over to there forum if you want to find out some more info.
I understand now!ThanksCarl