Sign in to follow this  
Tui737

Active Sky 2012 & NGX

OK heres a few from some flights i had with the NGX, hope PMDG dont mind theres 2 in the ultralite.Click on the pic and select full screen so it displays in 1600x1200.2011_12_17_9_48_18_317.jpg2011_12_17_10_25_13_554.jpg2011_12_17_10_30_11_32.jpg2011_12_17_10_21_48_998.jpg2011_12_17_10_31_46_207.jpg2011_12_17_12_44_6_131.jpg2011_12_17_13_55_12_762.jpg

Chris Howard

I also use REX, but I installed AS2012 yesterday and did two flights with it. The graphics look great and FSX ran smoothly. The graphics load up a lot faster than REX and the weather seems to load very smooth during the flight. I have to do some bad weather flights to get a better idea of how it performs, but so far, I like AS2012.

Me too, enjoying the new textures. The aircraft strobes look much better, runway lights too. I was flying around southern PNW in low vis and the way fog is presented is much better, the lights loom out the fog, much more atmospheric. Really like the sky themes, some nice suns as well. Runway textures look great in the snow. So far very happy, seems to load quicker and run a bit smoother. No pic, too busy flying. I am very happy to upgrade (now in DWC mode).

-Iain Watson-

Just took off from PDX for SJC. 1/8 mile visibilty with overcast clouds down to 200 feet and FS was running smoother then ever. The fog graphics are waaay better then the defualt and once I climbed out of the cloud layer, I was greeted with an amazing view of the clouds hugging the hills. Again, waaaay better then the defualt fog/cloud layers near the ground. Will get some screenies up soon, I'm to busy enjoying the amazing sky and sun infront of me :)

I could tell u how i convinced mine but its a bit early and probably against Avsims rules!

Chris Howard

Man, how am I going to convince the wife that I need yet another addon. Lol
I could tell u how i convinced mine but its a bit early and probably against Avsims rules!
I think as long as you don't provide screenshots you should be OK LMAO.gif

Cheers, Andy.

Hahaha....nice1 Andy! i'll stick to planes and weather screenshots!

Chris Howard

HiDone many more flights now, all short so that I could change res etc. NGX flight deck on max res throughout on all my flights so far.This morning I departed EGGD Bristol for EGPF Glasgow. 3D cloud res on 4096x4096. All other AS2012 maxed too. As I departed there were only two cloud layers visable but everything went smooth. Weather updated enroute but I hit problems after TOD. As I approached Scotland I could see serious build up & soon I could see the frame rate drop. As I passed down into the first layer it became obvious that I was looking at nine different layers below me & each layer was very busy. ...
Can I make a serious ActiveSky recommendation here - reduce your layers option back to the default of "5". Especially using hi-res clouds at or above 2048. In complicated wheather systems, the additional layers option will bring any decent system to it's knees. Trust me, start with 5, get all your other AS and FSUIPC settings tweak to your system and liking, then up the layer count one by one until you're not happy with the performance. Make sure you test in similar weather scenarios where numerous layers are actually present for comparison sake.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

LOL... As previously requested - screenies please!!!! LMAO.gif

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

AlI've done just that & most tweaks are done & it's working great. in ASE I used 20 layers with no problems so this setting of 5 seems good.

LOL... As previously requested - screenies please!!!! LMAO.gif
Hehe...there is a charge....paypal accepted!

Chris Howard

HiJust a short message before I go to work. I downloaded last night & managed two short flights, Liverpool to Gatwick & Gatwick-Manchester. I was a REX & ASE user prior but this new product does it all. Not enough flights done yet but will update over weekend. Had no affect on the NGX at all. Much improved weather & a real sense of flying down into clouds. Love visability changes & flying down through fluffy cumulus, the whole thing as a much more natural feel, very close to the real thing infact Must read the manual though & set up as explained. More to follow......
Can you post you as2012 config file?

Eric