Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

04FEB12 Update on SP1c and a few other items...

I don't think PMDG can ignore 50% of X-Plane's user base, meaning 50% potential customers. However, this might be a time-consuming process. I think I summed this up before *dig dig dig in old posts* : http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__2157629Quoting myself: "There is the programming of all the systems. Also this cannot be converted (automatically). Sure, the logic can be re-used, and if PMDG did a good job in software design and have a good separation of concerns in their code, they can re-use some of their sourcecode, but at least all the data-access (converting from simconnect to X-Plane datarefs) and all the display rendering (converting from GDI+ to openGL) code has to be rewritten from scratch.And, moreover, right now they programmed on Windows, and used a Windows toolchain. For X-Plane, they have to be Mac compatible. This means a switch to another toolchain (from visual studio to gcc or clang). If they use a lot of windows-proprietary stuff in their code, this will also have to be rewritten."
Yeah, that's what I was indeed thinking of. The 737NGX was coded on and for Windows, which of course means it will never work "just like that" on a Mac. The reason I ask is precisely because of this: I guess it is a huge investment, so can we expect a Mac compatible 737NGX in X-Plane 10 somewhere down the line?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Robert,Thank you for this news.I'm very happy that you considering X-Plane 10 as a real alternative. :(I vote for NGX as project to convert to X-Plane 10.Your NGX working on X-Plane 10 could be a dream!Cockpit buiders are waiting a modern option for us.FSX is not a bad simulator, but is an old simulator programmed in 2005-2006 and it's not prepared to support real multi-core and new graphics features as Dx10 or 11. 6 years is an eternity.Today, we know that Microsoft Flight will be an arcade game.Due we are abandoned by Microsoft, the only modern platform that could use this features is X-Plane 10.I still using FS9 with your old NG. The only platform that works 100% stable, but I need a real modern option that exploits the potential of actual computers. We are in Stone Age too.......Aerosoft is beginning to work in sceneries, like Zurich or Amsterdam, I hope PMDG give us a surprise in a few months.Regards,Agusti

Edited by agusti747

Very nice update and lots of information, of course some complain of not having surprises. But still I believe very little company give that depths of details on what is going on. Though of course just lile anyone I'd always like to have always more. It's relaly nice to know of the future, I sure wish to see quality products for X-Plane too, which is what makes me stay away from it so far, but I'd certainly try it again as soon as you deliver something for it. Hope for the NGX to have a solid comparison of a very complex aircraft, but will have to wait for news on that which I guess won't come close at all because it's not the main focus :)Anyway it sure is great to see everything is going well, I'm glad of the 777 coming because it's gona be quite different I guess, being the first fly-by-wire aircraft from Boeing, I'm sure there will be a ton to learn with it too, while it'll be quite different from the 737 or 747 :). Some time in the future I know I'll be able to reenact trips I've done with this aircraft. As I can now do with the 737.I sure can't wait for the future updates :)Keep the very nice work you're doing as always ;)

Important question. Will the radius to fix feature be implemented yet? I would love to fly an RNP approach and I feel like that's an important part of flying the NGX.

Aerosoft is beginning to work in sceneries, like Zurich or Amsterdam, I hope PMDG give us a surprise in a few months.Regards,Agusti
Please let not start pushing PMDG.I am very happy ( not surprised at all) PMDG is getting interested and involved in X-Plane.That process needs time , lets give PMDG this time without endlessly asking " when,when".X-Plane needs leading add-on-developers to enter the X-Plane-market.I am thrilled by the news ,PMDG is.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

In the ETOPS environment, it is critical that you never work on "both sides of the airplane" at the same time.
Robert, this reminded of Eastern Flight 855. It seems that one should never work on the same things on any 'side' of airplane, no matter how many engines you have available. Edited by SLKVP

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Friggin Lawyers....Oh, and acknowledgement you're going to make a debut into the X-Plane market.... Thank You! Finally a nudge to install and start tweaking XP10.EDIT: Side note... So when the flight attendant asks if anyone knows how to fly the 737-700 I'm on as the Captain and First Officer both had the fish.... After I raise my hand, walk up to the flight deck and successfully land the plane and save everyone's lives.. Would your legal counsel frown on me saying (as I hoisted a beer in front of the CNN camera no doubt) "This wouldn't have been possible without the efforts of Precision Manuals Development Group. Everyone onboard owes their lives to their NGX simulation, and this pint of beer"...Sorry, couldn't resist... :)
I get that CNN broadcast rolling in my head - ROFL!!! EDIT: on the X-plane discussion- can you imagine flying the PMDG NGX, JS41 or whatever into this (I for sure can!!!)http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361754-new-scenery-pix/ Mas Edited by mas618

Robert had clearly stated the decision was based on liability issues and not strictly of the interpretation of Prepar3D EULA. :(
Thad-This is not an accurate interpretation- and this is why we explicityly stated that we were not interested in a forum-lawyer discussion of EULA issues. Issues related to liability and the EULA are secondary.The primary issue is that Prepar3d is not a consumer platform. It will never be a consumer platform. This being the case- its adoption by the mass market is highly unlikely- and that means that it is not the platform PMDG will base our development future upon.While I don't disagree with you that we have some power to help move the market, I think it would be foolhardy to over-estimate that power. If we move to a platform that is out of reach for most of our users, then we cease to exist also. Our goal is to find a good, healthy, growing platform for the future. That platform will make itself known in time- this isn't something that will happen immediately.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Gents-It has been awhile since I've had to say this:We are not interested in hosting discussions in this forum where one group of users attack other groups of users because they like/dislike one sim platform or another.All of us have opinions, and all of us enjoy sharing our viewpoints- but it should always be done respectfully and with facts.If you engage in Coke vs. Pepsi, Chevy vs. Ford, FSX vs. <insert platform here> you will have your posts removed- and might even wind up in the penalty box, the dog house or the locker of banned-forever users....(Go ahead- start a "Penalty box" vs "dog house" thread and we'll dispatch the black helicopters.... Really... Just try me!)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

(Inserts tongue into cheek) Wow! PMDG are working on a black helicopter!!! (removes tongue from cheek :lol:Jack

Jack Johnston

Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

There are some pretty interesting "Black" helicopters out there.......Dave

Only think missing from X-Plane in my opinion is the scenery (airports etc.)
As I understand it, Aerosoft is working to release their flagship sceneries into X-plane.

Thanks for news and explaining future plans.Most of them are great news but... No Prepar3d? AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!Very sad about this.Unexpected decision after others main add-on producers started develop and support this new platform.Same reasons of Highiron

After 4 months of rock solid stability from P3D, I have no intentions of going back to the "crash" riddled performance of FSX. What use is a $60 - $90 add-on, or a $20 dollar one for that matter, if you can not use it as it was intended. I'm sure given time, someone will come in and fill the void, I'll be patient. More and more third party developers are ramping up the quality of their products, it will only be a matter of time before equal products are available for Prepar3D.I too tried X-Plane. I had seen things I liked and some things I certainly did not. Not sure if it was because the default equipment is not up to the potential of the platform or if it truly was the way the simulation behaved. The first shock was how the 747 handled like a bouncy Cessna 172. If PMDG aircraft can behave the same or better than FSX in X-Plane, then it will become more of a viable alternative. The future will tell.
I also tried Xplane demo and uninstalled it after a week. Maybe it will be better in the future.I'm really waiting for next Prepar3d realease, hoping convert and install all my fsx add-ons on it (or at least all that will be legally portable).Hope your lawyers can find in the future an affordable way to license your products for this simulator.Anyway keep up your optimum and outstanding work.

Here's the thing....small companies go down the chutes when they overreach. PMDG is not a multi-billion dollar enterprise that builds high-margin products. They are a niche company (at least with respect to consumer flight simulation products). There is no way that they can invest thousands of man-hours to build fully-featured planes for X-plane, FSX, FS9, Flight, P3D and whatever else comes down the chute. They need a reasonable expectation that they will be able to sell a decent amount of copies....probably in the 5-figure range to break even with a 3-year product like the NGX...unless they pay their programmers minimum wage, which I doubt. PMDG will do well if they sell 30,000 copies for FSX, but will go bankrupt if they sell 5,000 copies for 6 different flight simulation platforms.I realize some super-serious simmers consider P3D the product of the future, but given the pricing model, PMDG obviously feels that there's no way that there will ever be a large enough market to make it pay. Sorry, but while PMDG obviously loves their work, they are doing this for the money too.PMDG hires pros who make their living analyzing risk, markets, etc. If they think that FSX and XP10 are the future, then they're probably right. They can always develop for P3D 5 years from now if it takes off.I can live with FSX's issues as long as there is a PMDG out there trying to minimize the pain.