Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The big Carbon Cub topic

I just did a quick $100 Hamburger run in the new Carbon Cub. It may be slow for some folks but it is just great for me. Brings back some great old memories and is so much fun to fly. By father began my flight education in 1961 in the front of a J-3. I had to sit on a Tulsa, Oklahoma phone book to see over the cowl and I was a scrawny little guy and my feet wouldn't reach the rudder pedals. Dad worked the pedals and I learned to use the stick. Those were some wonderful days. I finished my flying "career", many years later, in ultralights; so this Carbon Cub fits me like a glove.

Anybody noticed that the DLX CUB is totally different from non-cockpit (basic) version?

The flight dynamics are totally different.

side-slip feels different

descents and climbs faster

The cockpitless warbirds seem to have some deliberate "taming" of their flight models, making them easier (or even possible) to fly only from external views. Perhaps the Cub is the same, with "easy-mode" flight dynamics on the Basic but a more realistic model for the cockpit-version's handling.

Motor sounds different

From the outside views? Because they all sound different when you get in the cockpit.

Didn't read the first post but being as MS just announced it on FB 10 seconds before I posted my post I wouldn't have known or assume it was out (3 pages ago) other wise.

Thanks for the snappy remark though. :rolleyes:

Well, I wasn't just trying to be "snappy". I couldn't get MS Flight to connect to the server this AM and I'm still waiting for it to be available on the XBL market place (also so I can use my CC). So I was wondering if you saw it released somewhere other than the in-game market place...

... but, I was being a little snappy too! :biggrin:

Regarding the $15 prices for the deluxe cub - here are some FSX addon prices:

- $24.99 for the A2A cub (+ another $19.00 for the accusim addon for it)

Great package and pretty much the only plane I fly in FSX. In Hawaii and Alaska believe it or not. Not as happy with the girl. She just seams a little to wimpy and is always to hot and wants the windows open. I don't think she really likes flying and is just humoring me for some reason.

I understand your point but I disagree with it as it pertains to my point which I guess I wasn't to clear about. I use advanced age as a defense. I could also point out many freeware add-ons that are quite amazing. So there are a plethora of add on planes that run from free to expensive that equal or exceed the cub offering.

Is the Alaska package worth the 30 bucks? Sure and now that I know that the wife's business van will cost only about 700 bucks to fix I will most likely buy the cub when it becomes available on Xbox Live. That said I still believe that many including myself look at this as an upgrade to an existing plane that costs as much as a deluxe plane which is why I perceive it as too expensive. Is it really? Maybe not compared to what I've spent on other planes or even the 15 bucks I spend each month to play the online Star Wars game or to go to a movie which just for the misses and I is about 50 bucks after she buys her popcorn, candy and frozen drink.

Anybody noticed that the DLX CUB is totally different from non-cockpit (basic) version?

I did notice that. It feels very different in many ways, like the prop does not just stop dead when inverted. I like it's new feel very much indeed! It's not JUST the VC that was added. A lot of work went into this version for sure. Well worth the price to me.

Well, I wasn't just trying to be "snappy". I couldn't get MS Flight to connect to the server this AM and I'm still waiting for it to be available on the XBL market place (also so I can use my CC). So I was wondering if you saw it released somewhere other than the in-game market place...

... but, I was being a little snappy too! :biggrin:

It's all good. My patience is tissue thin today so I'm a bit quick to react more than my normal patient self I guess. B)

P.S. I HATE cell phone carriers.. Sprint deemed my year old (Nexus S) phone defective two weeks ago, sent me a replacement, now that replacement is deemed defective. My new replacement has now been on backorder for a week with no ETA and Sprint doesn't do loaner phones nor care..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Heads up!

I just did the complete purchase through the in-game marketplace. Click on Marketplace in the main menu. Navigate to the Carbon Cub. I had no points, but when I clicked on Confirm Purchase, it told me I didn't have enough points and asked if I wanted to purchase them. I said yes, and was able to purcahse with my credit card. I had to purchase 800 and 400 points, and the marketplace already had my credit card info filled in from when I bought Alaska. The Cub is now in my hangar.

All in all, a very painless transaction.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

It's all good. My patience is tissue thin today so I'm a bit quick to react more than my normal patient self I guess. B)

P.S. I HATE cell phone carriers.. Sprint deemed my year old (Nexus S) phone defective two weeks ago, sent me a replacement, now that replacement is deemed defective. My new replacement has now been on backorder for a week with no ETA and Sprint doesn't do loaner phones nor care..

They will pro-rate you the missed time on your plan. (or at least they better)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

They will pro-rate you the missed time on your plan. (or at least they better)

If not I'll scream and get a credit. :)

On topic w/ the Carbon Cub after reading the thread. A big NO from me.. The price just doesn't justify the featureless plane. ie: The Toys-R-Us fake GPS. If it was like the Maule where we didn't have a free basic version to begin with I'd be more inclined to agree with the price vs lack of features.. But it isn't.. Really disappointed with MS. They are obviously dead set on just going through the motions instead of actually trying to innovate.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Interestingly, the Cockpit version handling is quite a bit more demanding for me than the cockpit less version. The plane stubbornly refuses to go straight and level, and gets very "squirmy" with a tendency to start yawing near touchdown.

(sigh)

They make it look so easy in the Cub stunt videos.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I have a really dumb question...

At the moment the delux Cub is sitting off to the right on my aircraft selection screen's roster along with the unpurchased Zero, Corsair, and Warhawk. The basic Cub is 2nd in line after the Stearman.

If / When - I purchase the DX version will it take the place of the basic one or will I then have both versions in the roster? I wouldn't mind that if both now have (had) a cockpit in them but I'm not real wild about having the basic Cub with no cockpit just taking up space in the roster. Once I have a proper Cub I sereiously doubt that I would ever use the empty shell again.

Yes I do understand that this is a very dumb question but I would really appreciate an answer.

Thank you,

Tom Wunder

PS for MS: If you want to sell me the unpurchased Zero, Corsair, & Warhawk try putting cockpits into them. Offering them via Steam at $4.19 each during the sale didn't get me to want them bad enough to spring for them but cockpits at a reasonable price probably would. I would also bite if I was offered a cockpit for the Mustangs for a reasonable sum.

Bought it. Like it. Something different. (Haven't flown the basic version so I can't and won't compare.) What I do like (for instance) is the new radio: it even has some (DRUM ROLL...) FEATURES!

1. When you set a VOR and have NAV enabled, you see the DME information on the left (nothing special) but when you click on the SEL button, you see the Direct to course, so the heading you need to fly to fly directly to the VOR station, without having to turn the OBS at ALL. I like that! Add or substract 180 and you also immediately know on which radial you are. Again, without having to turn the OBS knob.

2. When you press the OBS button you get a digital readout of your current OBS setting. Nice but not as nice as the SEL option.

The plane has an real high def feel over it: it looks pretty good and detailed, very sharp, but maybe that's also due to the modern appearance.

All in all it incomparable with the Maule, really... It's truly something different. Not the plane I was hoping for, let that be clear, but I am happy to have it in my hangar!

BTW This plane almost seems to take off like a heli...!!!

Add or substract 180 and you also immediately know on which radial you are. Again, without having to turn the OBS knob.

Click on T/F Button, it will do the math for you ;)

Bought it. Like it. Something different. (Haven't flown the basic version so I can't and won't compare.) What I do like (for instance) is the new radio: it even has some (DRUM ROLL...) FEATURES!

1. When you set a VOR and have NAV enabled, you see the DME information on the left (nothing special) but when you click on the SEL button, you see the Direct to course, so the heading you need to fly to fly directly to the VOR station, without having to turn the OBS at ALL. I like that! Add or substract 180 and you also immediately know on which radial you are. Again, without having to turn the OBS knob.

Very nice!

2. When you press the OBS button you get a digital readout of your current OBS setting. Nice but not as nice as the SEL option.

I didn't think they would implement this function, since they gave us an analog OBI. Now, I'm wondering why they gave us an OBI at all when they could have put an ADF or something else in that slot. It can't be for ILS capability, since the Cub can't enter IMC.