Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LHookins

What are we giving up by moving from Flight to FSX?

I've been flying FSX lately, and got to wondering what I was giving up by not flying in Flight.

The best I can figure it, there are three things:

1. Flight has a much more sophisticated flight model.

2. Flight's lighting and shadows are to die for.

3. Flight will run at much higher frame rates on most people's computers.

There are a few gaming aspects that are gone as well, especially the aerocaches, but we can do a little research and decide where we want to fly just to check something out. There is also the job board, which is very nice, but we can make up our own jobs. I was doing that in FSX for a year before Flight came along. If in doubt, roll dice.

Is there anything I'm obviously missing?

I've got another post on what we're gaining by moving from Flight to FSX, so if you want to talk about that instead, that's the proper place.

Hook

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

What about automated checklists in Flight? Its better than the FSX default checklists.

Hi,

From my perspective, what I think you're obviously missing is that there is no earthly reason why you have to choose. FSX and Flight coexist peacefully. If I feel like tweaking I choose FSX and if I want to fly I choose Flight. Works for me.

Jim F.

What about automated checklists in Flight? Its better than the FSX default checklists.

While I really liked the automated checklists in Flight, for any aircraft that I flew a lot in FSX I made my own custom checklists as a text file to replace the HTML checklists in the kneeboard. My custom checklists are more thorough than the ones from the pilots operating handbook. It's easy to do using the HTML header and footer, and the preformat tag for the text.

As a side note, I also make up a text flight plan and append it to the bottom of the custom reference info also available in the kneeboard. If nothing else, this gives me the exact VOR radials to fly which are never exactly the same as the magnetic headings. The VOR radials come from real world sectional maps.

From my perspective, what I think you're obviously missing is that there is no earthly reason why you have to choose. FSX and Flight coexist peacefully.

I agree completely, but it's not really pertinent to the discussion in question. :) If I'm flying FSX, I'm still giving up some things from Flight.

Hook

I will keep FLIGHT (believe it's forever :-) ). I start it everyday, more than I did with other sims.

During a couple of weeks I revisited FSX, and all I have experienced in FLIGHT is unforgetable, so, although I fully agree with your list on the other thread - what do we gain from moving from FLIGHT to FSX - I decided to move to X-plane10.

It was a tough decision because of the initial investment and not being able to profit from my previous FSX add-ons, but a week with FSX, lot's of tweaking and a few flights brought back the bad memories... stuttering, a lot of investment required for an acceptable environment, while on my new machine, bought for FLIGHT, FLIGHT and now X-Plane10.10 b6 both run very very smoothly. :-)

The Carbon Cub! Love that thing...and goofing around with it on water, roads, under bridges, between trees.

cheers,

The Carbon Cub! Love that thing...and goofing around with it on water, roads, under bridges, between trees.

Yeah, I'm gonna miss the Carbon Cub, and the biplane tours.

Hook

Well, A2A's Cub not being the Carbon, also allows for goofing :-) And it's accu-sim credentials bring even more surprises... I find A2A's products in FSX the closest we can get on that sim to what FLIGHT is. Very close!

Hi Hook,

Thanks for the clarification as to what you were looking for. The subject line of your post, "What are we giving up by moving from Flight to FSX?", led me astray. For me it would have to be a highly subjective immersive feeling I get in Flight that I no longer feel in FSX. After all, how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen Paree? If I had to choose, FSX and over 65GBs of scenery files would be gone in an instant. (Probably reload it in a week or so; knowing how I like to tinker.)

Jim F.

For me it would have to be a highly subjective immersive feeling I get in Flight that I no longer feel in FSX.

I have to agree completely with this one too. I had a feeling of actually flying a plane in Flight that I never had in FSX. This is one reason that I'll never uninstall Flilght; I expect to fly in it quite often, just for that feeling.

Hook

I have to agree completely with this one too. I had a feeling of actually flying a plane in Flight that I never had in FSX. This is one reason that I'll never uninstall Flilght; I expect to fly in it quite often, just for that feeling.

Hook

+1

You can pile complication on top of complication; add features until your eyes pop, and modules until the ground droops under the weight of it all. But if a individual doesn't feel as if they are flying, then sometimes it can all be for nothing.

Hi,

From my perspective, what I think you're obviously missing is that there is no earthly reason why you have to choose. FSX and Flight coexist peacefully. If I feel like tweaking I choose FSX and if I want to fly I choose Flight. Works for me.

Jim F.

I agree with this. There are many aspects to aviation so both Flight and FSX can coexist nicely. Personally I use Flight for the low and slow GA and FSX for commercial airliners.

Now I just need a simulator that allows me to fly a UD4L "Cheyenne" and a Star Trek shuttlcraft and I would be in business.

Good-looking cliffs.

Oh man, ain't that the truth! That's one I forgot in the original list.

I had an FSX screen shot of the J3 Cub in Hawaii, between Waipo Valley and Hilo. Not really cliffs, but definite elevation changes near the water. It was... hideous. Every time I'd think about flying FSX, I'd look at my screen shots and see this, then forget about FSX for a week.

Hook

I forgot about the sound system in Flight.

Flight did some incredible things with sound. For example, if you open a door, the sound inside the aircraft changes considerably. I often open aircraft doors when I'm on the ground just to hear the outside sounds of the engine and prop. I opened a window on an FSX aircraft in flight and was surprised when the sound did not change at all. I'm not sure if that's modelled in any aircraft in FSX, but it's been a while since I've flown many of them.

Not sound releated, but opening the door in the Carbon Cub in flight will cause the aircraft to yaw to the right a bit due to increased drag, even though there's really nothing hanging out in the wind like there is in the Maule with an open door. Opening the canopy in the RV-6 will change flight characteristics as well.

Another thing is sound reflecting off the ground and nearby buildings. I was landing once in Alaska, at an airport that had a dropoff just before the runway. As soon as I passed the dropoff on approach, I could hear the sound reflecting from the runway. It's a little thing, but it makes a big difference.

Hook

1. Flight has a much more sophisticated flight model.

2. Flight's lighting and shadows are to die for.

Good-looking cliffs.

Flight did some incredible things with sound.

I agree, all of the above made Flight a huge improvement on what has gone before.

I just hope that any future new sim will encompass these enhancements.

All of the above + one that's very important to me, MOUSE controls in FLIGHT are simply amazing.

Sometimes, I just want to fly for a few minutes (usually gets me flying longer than I want, but hey ;) ), and not having to get out my setup (HOTAS joystick, TrackIR5, etc) and just use the mouse to fly is just heaven..

Sooo simple to control the plane with the mouse compared to FSX.

After doing a little research, I found that Accu-Feel looks like it will upgrade most of the sound issues to Flight quality. Not bad for $15.

This goes along with the basic premise of these threads: How do I make FSX more like Flight? This is a good subject for the Flight forum, but I'd never ever ask it on the FSX forum. :D

Hook

A couple of additions:

4. The ability to get out of the plane and walk around. Such a simple thing, but you miss it when it's not there.

5. Autosaving where your last flight left off. GAWD I hate having to set up the flight each time in FSX. Yes, I could save the flight each time, but that has had some problems in the past. One complaint that I remember was that the autopilot would not follow the magenta line; you'd end up off to one side. This happened occasionally to me when I was working from a new flight as well.

To add to the lighting item above, some aircraft in FSX have a real problem if you turn toward the rising or setting sun. The instruments black out, even with instrument lights on. I've had to add additiional cockpit lights to remedy this. In SP1 I could leave the lights on all the time and they'd dim out properly at night. In SP2 I had to add a switch to turn them off when necessary. Flight's aircraft never had that problem, for which I am grateful. I understand some aircraft add-ons do not exhibit this problem; the Carenado C337 Skymaster is one of them, although the instrument lights do not illuminate all the needles, so a cockpit light is still necessary.

Hook

Personally I'm not giving up on flight period.

Reasons... When I Fly it, I feel like I'm flying for real. This is because of all the reasons above and because of its attention to detail.

Pre-flight I was always striving for the 'feeling' of flying and thought I had it. Now I know I was just kidding myself. This is why it will stay on my computer, because how can I give up on this 'feeling?'

I've taken steps to further enhance my experience. I brought 3 22inch led backlit monitors, which I use with Eyefinity, a good 5.1 sound system and even re-built my home cockpit to gain every ounce of enjoyment from that feeling. Go take a look...

For me, their is nothing that can presently compare with the experience of complete and total immersion from the view and the sound and the detail.

I'd also miss the glorious vista when flying Flight at dawn or dusk with any of the weather themes. The shadowing is just so well done. Don't forget the sudden glare of the sun as it pops into the cockpit, that is also a wow moment.

Hook, don't forget it's not just the flight physics, its the subtle way that Flight alters the eye point inside the cockpit that enhances the 'feeling' of flight. If you count this Within the physics of the flight model then I forgive ya :) personally, I think this should be treated as a separate enhancement because i feel that a lot of work went into this often overlooked, aspect of the flight physics.

To sum up...

1 A flight sim should achieve the 'feeling' of flight and immerse the person at the other end of the computer screen.

2 The frame rate should reflect reality, so it enhances and does not detract from 1

3 The details of cockpit, internal and external lighting, sound and scenery should be as realistic as possible, so that they enhance 1 and don't affect 2

Those are the 3 laws of flight simming for me. Flight achieves all three and are the things I miss most from all the other contenders in this market.

To sum up...

1 A flight sim should achieve the 'feeling' of flight and immerse the person at the other end of the computer screen.

2 The frame rate should reflect reality, so it enhances and does not detract from 1

3 The details of cockpit, internal and external lighting, sound and scenery should be as realistic as possible, so that they enhance 1 and don't affect 2

Those are the 3 laws of flight simming for me. Flight achieves all three and are the things I miss most from all the other contenders in this market.

I could not agree more :-)

I copied a link in my post above but it didn't appear??? So I've put some quotes around it as I'm typing this on my phone ...help!

"

What I really miss:

- lighting and shadows

Things I miss but not too bad:

- reflections of everything without an fps-penalty

- great looking cliffs

- job board (although I am glad I won't have to see those onscreen icons anymore :wink: )

That's about it, really... but that's also due to the Orbx regions I use (NA), REX (great skies) and FSWC (better watercolors and reflections) plus the RealAir Legacy which prevents me from missing the Flight audio and feeling of flight for me. If I had been using default FSX planes I'd also miss those things.

To my amazement I don't miss the performance of Flight because FSX (which Word Not Allowed's guide) performs perfectly fine on my PC right now and Flight at max settings wasn't that smooth, really: I had to set a few things to high instead of max in order to keep things smooth. Seems to me Flight's Alaska brought some changes in smoothness too.