Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reason

When pilots report objects in the sky

Hi.

Will pilots or cabin crews get fired if they report unidentified objects they have witnessed during airborne? is this why, if it is true, they choose to keep it for themselves? thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Why would they get fired? They would be expected to report any unusual or unexpected phenomenon that they witness while flying, weather, other aircraft, whatever, it doesn't matter.

Okay Raindance, but I need different opinions because that is not what I heard from a very trusted acquaintance.

I concur with Raindance. Why would a pilot be fired for saying: ' last flight I saw this weird thing'?

Why would this very trusted acquaintance be any more qualified to comment?

Hi.

Will pilots or cabin crews get fired if they report unidentified objects they have witnessed during airborne? is this why, if it is true, they choose to keep it for themselves? thanks

No comment... :P

Okay thank you gents. And Ronan, guess the above posts describe how this issue often goes. Good day

I wonder if it's more a case of "if the pilot reports seeing an unusual object to the media", they are likely to be fired. It's ridiculous, but that's what you get when society as a whole sees UFO sightings as nothing more than the deluded imaginings of idiots.

UFO sightings have nothing to do with delusion.

It just means that you saw something flying without knowing what it is.

Concluding it was an extraterrestrial spaceship is another matter.

No comment...

hahahahahaha... once again the wonderful voice of experience! (i.e. really appreciated your posts in that nut "can you land a real airliner" thread).

:h0134:

I've reported UFO's many times. It doesn't mean you think it is from another planet it is that it doesn't show up on any traffic device and either the angle of the sighting or speed you can't identify what it was.

On the way down the west coast of the US we kept hearing a report of a large silver flying object. It was showing on ATC's radar but no one could identify it until we got there. We were at a lower altitude then the rest and saw it was a very large mylar balloon that was floating around at 29,000 feet.

Hmmmmmmm.......... I am divided on this one. The automatic reaction to even the term UFO is generally so negative (as in what have you been smoking, dude) that I can't imagine a pilot for a commercial airline would want to be known as the guy that's always reporting da' aliens............

(S)He might very well feel duty bound to submit a report (much more so if there are multiple witnesses) but I can see many people deciding to just swallow a sighting; that's just human nature. You don't have to say it was aliens, mean people will fill in that blank for you, and who likes to be laughed at?

Had an Air Force friend call me a few weeks ago, they had footage of 3 bright lights to the east of the international airport. They were stationary and silent before they went up at a 60 degree angle past the airport and disappeared.

My friends at atc said nothing showed up on primary as it went offline, showing errors they had not seen before.

Very interesting, to say the least.

I can't imagine a pilot for a commercial airline would want to be known as the guy that's always reporting da' aliens

That's kind of my position... if there is "footage" fine... ask ATC if they have anything... otherwise enjoy the view :Secret:

Looks like Chris saw "Balloon Boy II" :unsure:

Balloons and birds have airplane seeking radar... similar to the one the iceberg had that found the Titanic.

Looks like Chris saw "Balloon Boy II"

We think it was one of those remote control blimps kids have. It was about 5 feet long.

Same as Devon, as soon as somebody throws your report into the magic 'he thinks it's a spaceship' box, your reputation as a pilot is lost. Also means that, as long as it is just a report and stays out of that box (like Chris is describing it), it may not harm anything regarding your job.

So I guess the 'fired' phrase is a bit too harsh. Not fired, but running the risk of being looked at as nuts or something. Not all folks relate the word UFO to the actual meaning, but more to the TV based explanation.

By this, I still feel like I should post this one. :ph34r: http://www.flickr.co...N06/1196208102/

We think it was one of those remote control blimps kids have. It was about 5 feet long.

Or some snot stuck to the window. Happens quite a lot with RyanAir

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Good point, Devon.

'Callsign, do you want to report a UFO?'

'Negative, I rather keep my job.' :mellow:

Good point, Devon.

'Callsign, do you want to report a UFO?'

'Negative, I rather keep my job.' :mellow:

Hollywood is NOT real life.

For starters the ATCO should know that filing a loss of separation incident report would be appropriate in this case.

You mean they don't really wear those helmets? :O

You mean they don't really wear those helmets? :O

Those are the parts that are obviously fake. No I mean the more subtle things, like the way you don't have a right to exactly one phone call if you're arrested in the US, or the way science very rarely works the way it's portrayed in movies, or the way DNA profiling in real life takes a couple of days to weeks, rather than five minutes.

Or the way there's standard protocols in real life for what to do in case of a loss of separation incident.

But isn't a 'loss of separation incident' report a bit off to the actual happening when you can't tell what that thing was in front of your plane? Even more so if it pulled some stunts a plane can't do?

Not to mention that face the green guy in the cockpit made. ^_^

So, more seriously, the fact that the flying object was unknown may be more prominent than the fact that it disregarded separation limits. Not? What happens to the reports about UFOs by the way? Does one get an official answer on the unknown/known status or is it just a 'report and forget' item?

Oh... come... on... hollywood movies might as well be listed as documentaries of american life.

So all those folks I arrested and took downtown rated more than one call? wow... sry about that... someone better tell to BimmerCop as I bet he also doesn't know this.

And this idea about the radar... I always thought it took sophisticated electronic means or other ingenious ways (like aluminum strips) to confuse a radar's reception. Thanks CoolIP for clearing up that it only takes a jar of jam (jelly or preserves I reckon will not work). I also wondered where the radar and electronic sounds came from... video makes all that clear. Again Thanks!