Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Support for FSX Has Come to an End

I fear the darkness is descending on this hobby. Maybe oneday the sun will rise again but it won't be from Microsoft's direction. I don't think there has been any good news in FS these last two weeks. LM snubbing the consumer market, Laminar Research being sued, Michael Greenblatt passing away and now FSX support officially ending.

We are besieged on multiple fronts and it is only now a matter of time before the walls crumble.

I thought I was reading Chicken Little there for a moment... The sky is falling!!!!! The sky is falling!!! :P

You know, this aspect of them cutting off activation for FSX really brings up a much larger issue about all Microsoft Products that are out in both the commercial and non-commercial/entertainment-end-user worlds.

Can a company just come along and arbitrarily (or even not necessarily "arbitrarily") just cut-off activation of products that have otherwise multi-year or longer reasonable/productive use-lives just because their so-called "support" ends?

I'm going to engage my state's attorney general about this.

Microsoft deserves it.

.I'm going to engage my state's attorney general about this.

I'm flabbergasted... You guys really need to step outside for a few minutes, take a couple deep breaths and then go for a walk in your local park.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

If activation was stopped it would be nothing more than ms caving in to the powers that be .Being able to have the knowledge to possibly fly a plane in the scared "new"world " could be deemed as dangerous, suspicious and anti social .

Beg to differ.

Member "Hanger" had it right, e.g., "

Something needs to be done...something BIG."

As just one small example, dozens if not tens-of-dozens of small businesses out there could be royally screwed if they cut off activation for FSX.

God knows, Microsoft has enough problems trying to compete in the open Marketplace. They are always looking for some way to leverage their monopoly(ies) to force us to buy their new crap when we neither need to nor want to.

By the way, there are some other great up-and-coming simulators out their besides Lockheed's, albeit theirs is a fine product, too. Ikarus' "Aerofly FS" is a great new product with development potential.

Of course MS dropped support for FS-X long ago. But FS-X has lived on through this community, and there are so many amazing add-ons for it. It's been a while since I've added anything to FS-X. But I still enjoy it from time to time, especially when I am running TileProxy. I'm glad I have a computer that allows me to run FS-X the way I like it. And I owe thanks to the forum members who've posted tweaks that make it run great. I've been at this hobby over twenty five years now, half my life--it's my number one hobby. When Microsoft announced the end of MSFS, I thought things had finally come to an end. But good products just keep coming and coming, so the sim will be here for a long time to come.

Regards,

John

My goodness what a bunch of doomsday prophets some of you guys are.

I just tried starting up FSX and guess what? It worked! :shok:

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I'm flabbergasted... You guys really need to step outside for a few minutes, take a couple deep breaths and then go for a walk in your local park.

Are you trying to say that there is life 'other' than FSX ?

Wait...I've got the door open - hey - it's very bright - what is that big yellow light in the sky ?....Hey - THERE'S PEOPLE OUT THERE !

:LMAO:

Regards

I agree wholeheartedly with what has already been said 'no support for FSX from MS' so what, who cares. There is more than enough support and knowledge on Avsim than anywhere else on the internet. Besides, when was the last time some of the doomsday brigade contacted MS for support about FSX? Very few I suspect, and to be honest, IMO the support for FSX around here is likely to be as good if not better than any that MS would have given. The best thing that anyone can do who is concerned with reinstallation issues, is to make a small investment into Acronis backup or something similar. That way if you have a problem with reinstallation at least everything can be put back to how it was originally. As for transferring FSX to a new machine, well I have done that, so have many others, with no problems with any of the licensing concerns. Besides, as we all know, there is P3D and to be honest I'm getting a frustrated at guys banging on about the licensing and that it cannot be used for entertainment purposes. Well, I guess it depends on how you view it. The same guys with those concerns maybe the same guys who regard and describe FSX as a game, which often happens around here and always grates with me. Personally, for me, it is a flight simulator and I use it to educate myself about flying, as I have always been involved with flying one way or another. Sometime in the future I hope to try for my PPL.. so fellas, is it for entertainment, no, it is to educate me on flying and make me more knowledgeable. Do I find it entertaining? Of course I do, but exactly the same as if I went flying for real, or are we not allowed to be entertained at the same time as being educated? :smile: BTW, sorry fellas, hope I didn't go too far off topic.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi,

As far as I'm concerned, MS Support stopped long before yesterday. It stopped the day they released their last Service Pack (SP2).

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

yeah we dont need support from microsoft anyways, they havent done much for the simming community besides create the base platform for everyone else to build on lol.

If I can make a image copy of FSX with my scenery payware add-ons and rex that could save me hours of freetime on re-installs. Then, activation and end of support would not concern me.

Are you trying to say that there is life 'other' than FSX ?

Wait...I've got the door open - hey - it's very bright - what is that big yellow light in the sky ?....Hey - THERE'S PEOPLE OUT THERE !

:LMAO:

Regards

Funny,Bill!!!...I like it...LOL