Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Support for FSX Has Come to an End

Well if they stop selling it as well as not supporting it, better keep those disks in a safe place. If they do keep selling it, then activation better pretty darn well work!!! And real weather, too.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It's not like I ever went there for support to begin with. I got all the support I've ever needed from forums like the one we're on right now.

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Whatever, it's not like MS support ever did anything useful.

Even if activation stops working I think there is already ways to go around activation, but I am not sure if they are considered legal. Morally there should be no issue with going past activation with legally bought product.

I cant even remember calling up for activation!? If thats the case, then I hope I can get a reactivation code somewhere, as I cant remember if I even got one the last time I reactivated!

Upgrading my system with-in the next few months... Hope it works!

I have not switched to FSX as I am very happy with FS9 but I might some day...

With FS9, there was no need to call MS for activation: possessing the discs sufficed.

Is it different with FSX? Got me worried.

An era has ended. The future is elsewhere In a different platform.

Kind regards,

I disagree. As long as people still use it it's not dead, and as long as companies still make add-ons it's not even dying. When activation servers go down it will be a different matter.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

I had to call them for reactivation several years ago because I suppose you can only install it on so many computers. However, I have changed computers twice since then and it automatically activated fine. So perhaps they removed the max number of computers limit and only require you to have a valid code?

Noah Bryant

I disagree. As long as people still use it it's not dead, and as long as companies still make add-ons it's not even dying. When activation servers go down it will be a different matter.

Also,if they quit selling it, then I would maybe get concerned about activation. As long as its being sold, the activation servers will stay on line. I see this statement as a platform for every mothers son who makes a flight game to attempt reinforcing their position in the market. I won't buy into it!

Would the "download real weather" continue to work?

I'm still using FS2004 and it still has real world weather downloading enabled, so I would think/hope so.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the news, to be honest. Like others, I've never needed MS support for anything. And we've known that FSX is the last of an illustrious line.

But I'm sure this will be the cause of much wailing and gnashing of teeth, for a week or two at least.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the news, to be honest. Like others, I've never needed MS support for anything. And we've known that FSX is the last of an illustrious line.

But I'm sure this will be the cause of much wailing and gnashing of teeth, for a week or two at least.

I don't think anyone's going to care as long as activation works. I've still got several years worth of fun left with FSX.

As they have now officially stopped supporting the title, Does this mean that they will release the source files for it?

I know we have prepar3d, but there isnt a personal license for it.

Jack Cannon

As they have now officially stopped supporting the title, Does this mean that they will release the source files for it?

I know we have prepar3d, but there isnt a personal license for it.

No, I very much doubt they would release source files for it.

The way I see it nothing new! No more updates? There hasn't been one since SP2 years ago. The phone support was just people needing help with the sim, no bug fixes ever came out of it. Those people usually end up here (Or other FS sites) with their questions, which IMHO gives them a better chance of getting their issue resolved anyway. The only big issue with this announcement is with Activation and the Weather updates. The Activation issue being the most important.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I must say that I've always regarded MS support for flight simulator as an afterthought! Even after SP1 and SP2 for FSX there are so many issues that never got attended to - it's a bad joke! Anyway there are perhaps a few good things MS could do now that they've ended support, why not release the FSX code to the simming community and let us develop it as an open source project (or did they already sell the code to Lockheed)? Also perhaps they will "null" the activation so that we can have unlimited installs?

Regards, Django EGLL.

| BMS | DCS OB | A-10C II | AV-8B | F-16C | F/A-18C | FC3 | Persian Gulf | Supercarrier | Tacview | XP11 | FF A320 | FF 757 |

| I7-9700K + NH-D15 | RTX3080Ti 12GB | DDR4-3200 16GB | Aorus Z390 Ultra | 2X Evo 860 1TB | 850W | Torrent Case |

| Warthog HOTAS + CH Pedals | 32" TV 1080p 60Hz | TrackIR5 |