Sign in to follow this  
doorstep

A new (NGX) version of the wonderful MD-11

PMDG, you made a good choice developing this aircraft but I don't think you realise how many sales you will total eventually.

Again, the issue is opportunity cost here:

Sure, they may sell more of the MD-11, but at what cost?  The dev team gets taken out of the loop to go fully redesign (what would be required for NGX-level quality) the MD-11, instead of working on Project X, Project Y or Project Z.

If the market has Project X in high demand at 100,000 units;

Project Y at about the same, with 90,000 units;

and Project Z with 105,000 units;

redeveloping the MD-11 at 50,000 units isn't going to be a smart decision.  Even assuming some of the new customers from the NGX get the new MD-11 because of its quality, it's still not an aircraft people are going to buy from their research.

I'm not trying to argue against your point because I don't want it.  Like I said: I really do.  I'm just giving my thoughts as to why you shouldn't get your hopes up.

Kyle Rodgers

I would love it if they just did even a relatively simple update like default panel state loading, dirt/reflections on the windows, and some other odds and ends. It really doesn't need much IMO.

+1

heck I would be happy with a little reflective glass in the cockpit and the new style landing lights.

I really think if they did these relatively minor changes it wouldn't take them long, and on top of that they could offer a sale price (50% off or something like that) and it would move a lot of copies. Then they'd have drummed up even more PMDG interest as well as further sales of the MD-11 at full price... 

But what do I know, I'm just your average flight simmer. :)

I agree with most of the posters above that the MD-11 could be brought up to NGX quality and that it would be great if it was, but I also agree with Kyle that for PMDG to do so means PMDG not doing something else that I would probably like even more.

What we forget however, is that the MD-11, even though it is getting on in years and was never a great seller to start with, is still one of the top 10 best sims ever made for FSX and has set a standard that is still seriously hard for others to reach. I was looking yesterday at buying another aircraft that has just been released that I have wanted to fly for a long time, and as I looked at the screen shots and systems summary I found myself thinking that I wouldn't bother with it as it was just not at the standard I have grown used to. In short, it was nowhere near as good as the MD-11. When I caught myself and thought about it, I realised that was actually good enough to give the 747 a run for its money and if I had never flown the MD-11 or newer PMDG aircraft, I would have snapped it up in a heart beat.

if they refuse to update the textures, then why not allow a third party to do so.

if they refuse to update the textures, then why not allow a third party to do so.

Have you seen the McPhat liveries for the MD-11?  They are quite spectacular.

Go find a 3rd party, have them talk to them about it, and and get them to come to an agreement before beginning work.  Simple as that.

Kyle Rodgers

No plans to update the MD-11, sorry. I can't show you guys the exact numbers, but the NGX *far* outsold it within like an hour on the day we released it. Obviously we do like the airplane ourselves but it's just something that didn't work out the way we'd hoped with the wider simmer market. Keep in mind too that the majority of our market is not on this forum posting - the sales numbers are what tell the story for us, not a forum thread of people saying they'd buy an upgrade. Sorry.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Maybe we could create a kickstarter project to update the Md11, if we reach the number we can hope to see an update.

It's been mentioned in this thread already and I'd like to second it ... in my own words: If I had to choose between a brand new plane by PMDG and an update of their MD-11, I'd choose the extra A/C ...

People buy what they are familiar with.  Let's face it, unless you fly FED EX, UPS or one of the few Asian carriers that still operate the MD-11, the majority of the flight sim community won't be interested.  Hell, I flew on the thing back when AA had it, actually flew on it a few times and I didn't buy it.  No desire; in my mind it wasn't a popular plane then and sure as hell isn't a popular plane now.  Disagree with me all you want, but if it ain't flying, I ain't buying.  And that's the demographic in the flight sim nation.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

I am in the same camp as Kyle; as much as I love the MD11 and try to fly it as much as possible, PMDG are a business and I'm sure they've looked at all possible avenues to see if an update or paid Service Pack can 'wipe its own nose' to use accounting speak. If they could have, then I'm sure we would have seen or heard of it by now.

To be fair, the only items that would make it better are a NGX style cockpit render/texture, NGX style external lighting and Aircraft Options and Panel State selection via MCDU.

But that's a moot point, as its not happening :'(

I still love it though!

Tom Beckett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No plans to update the MD-11, sorry. I can't show you guys the exact numbers, but the NGX *far* outsold it within like an hour on the day we released it. Obviously we do like the airplane ourselves but it's just something that didn't work out the way we'd hoped with the wider simmer market. Keep in mind too that the majority of our market is not on this forum posting - the sales numbers are what tell the story for us, not a forum thread of people saying they'd buy an upgrade. Sorry.

And how about fixing the small bugs that are left? I know you mentioned before that you would ask but I haven't seen any answer yet. It's a real shame that such a good project has these small bugs left. Especially the altitude bugs because they almost get used every flight.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

Especially the altitude bugs because they almost get used every flight.

What altitude bugs?

Kyle Rodgers