Sign in to follow this  
doorstep

A new (NGX) version of the wonderful MD-11

nice addons like the just released TSS PW4060 soundpack keep the thrill level high for me.

Just so that there is no misunderstanding. Whatever you hear inside the cockpit when installing a TSS pack is NOT what the real MD-11 sounds like. Far from it. We spent countless of hours in making the cockpit sounds perfect. When you exchange them with TSS, you'll destroy the true MD-11 experience...

Cheers,

Markus

Markus Burkhard

If an update for the MD-11 was done to the standard of the NGX (Visually), PMDG may be surprised at how well it may sell since there would be a renewed interest. I personally believe that whether someone really likes an airplane or not doesn't matter when it comes to MSFS. If an aircraft is GOOOD! they will buy it nonetheless. Not everyone loves the 737 but due to the innovations and how good the NGX turned out to be, everyone bought it. We don't have many choices when it comes to MSFS so simmers will take the best of what is available.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Well, as sad as it sounds the MD-11's still in service are slowly dying out. I guess in the next decade you will only be able to see those tri-holers in Africa and maybe FedEx will keep some too.

The MD-11 is not a popular aircraft, since there are almost no airlines that use this type as a passanger aircraft. It is a good and powerful freigher though.

I am really curious what we will see from PMDG after the 777 and 747 are out (and we all know this won't be too 'soon')

In terms of Boeing I can only imagine the 787 being done by PMDG and then what? See?

Looks like the MD11 is a gem that only  true aviation lovers can appreciate. I can understand a developer saying the plane did not sell too well. I will never understand comments like:"I don't like the MD11 or maybe the MD80 because I only like the 737,777 or 747." If an Md11 would come to my local airport I would certainly try see it in real life. It is almost an exotic plane these days.

Perhaps a poll would be in the order to see if you would pay for an update. Visually that is. I agree there is no need for systems update as I think there are pretty bang on. The only fix needed if be would be the fplan init and entering the dep/dest CTD.

Sure this poll doesnt really measure the market as there is many others outside this forum, but i think the results may surprise us. If it was expanded to other forums , then even more so.

For the record I certainly would be willing to pay for upgraded visuals. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Well, as sad as it sounds the MD-11's still in service are slowly dying out. I guess in the next decade you will only be able to see those tri-holers in Africa and maybe FedEx will keep some too.

The MD-11 is not a popular aircraft, since there are almost no airlines that use this type as a passanger aircraft. It is a good and powerful freigher though.

I am really curious what we will see from PMDG after the 777 and 747 are out (and we all know this won't be too 'soon')

In terms of Boeing I can only imagine the 787 being done by PMDG and then what? See?

To follow up your thread  about MD-11s slowly dying out, luckily I was fortunate enough to have flown on a Garuda MD-11 Brisbane-Jakarta.

Fedex , the most prominent md11 flyer will be around for a while still. Slowly dying would be emphasis on very slowly.   According to wiki they have 64 MD11s and this wiki quote.

Exiting service: 1 in 2015, 1 in 2016, 8 in 2017, 4 in 2018, older being replaced by newer used aircraft

How accurate that is on wiki, who knows. but the depletion will be small.   Its a perfect aircraft for flying cargo, not for pax. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Perhaps a poll would be in the order to see if you would pay for an update. Visually that is. I agree there is no need for systems update as I think there are pretty bang on. The only fix needed if be would be the fplan init and entering the dep/dest CTD.

Sure this poll doesnt really measure the market as there is many others outside this forum, but i think the results may surprise us. If it was expanded to other forums , then even more so.

For the record I certainly would be willing to pay for upgraded visuals. 

howabout a "Kickstarter" program to update the PMDG MD-11 :lol:   I think it will work and wake up PMDG.

Even though there won't be an updated version, and the sales were far worse than expected, I'm so glad they made it!

+1

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

I'm not so sure...  I want a 787 almost more than anything however I see some issues. 

1.  PMDG likes to have a real airplane to go play with, it also has to be in the field a bit so things are not guessed at.

2.  Boeing is being really SLOW with the 787, a lot of supply line issues we all know about.  So far we have the -8, the -9 is about to have the first one assembled, the -10 will probably be board approved to start selling.

3.  With #2, if you have paid attention to the PMDG 777 and what I think is one reason it being late is within the 777 family there seems to be two different aircraft.(no I don't mean the -dash variants either)  Rob mentioned there are differences between the -300ER/-200LR systems/feel compared to the rest.  That tells me they like to model the feel as much as anything, with two of the three models yet to come off the line it does not look promising.

4.  There is not enough firm data on the -9 and -10, also is  the -3 going to get a redo and released.

5.  I pushed for a 737MAX model when 737NGX came out, the body was firm but didn't mind if it used the NGX systems and cockpit.  I was told flatly no because of no flight data.

6.  New aircraft normally have engine PIP (Performance Improvement Plans) and that will throw off PMDG's models.

7.  Again I think they aim their products to real world pilots and companies that want to train in systems proficiencies, if that data is a moving target or not yet available; the question is moot.

My Crystal Ball: (these are all guesses)

1.  From my memory, I've been around her a long time so it could have gotten foggy. ;)  There was a plan to do an Airbus A32x family, I think the plan was to release it close to the NGX so you could have side by side comparisons.  However Airbus does not allow free access to performance data.  So I think the A32x project was scrapped a long time ago.  However things might have changed.  Airbus after 747, Hmmmmmm Maybe to Possible.

2.  There seems to be an untapped segment to FSX world, that of RJ's.  They flirted with the J41, not sure it did all that great but it was fun.  Definitely not as hard as a full fledged FMC on a Boeing.  Besides I don't think Rob and Ryan would mind trips to Brazil, especially during Carnival.  Just a Maybe in my guesstimate.

3.  There is a very popular 767 our there, also a few others have tried to do the 757 justice.  PMDG in it's early days did a 757 if I remember right.  Might the next PMDG be a 757/767?  767 - No, 757 - Probably Not to Maybe.

So where does this leave my crystal ball, no where as it is never right anyway.  If I had my guess it will be something we will say after it is announced, Duh!  I should have guessed that.  I am sure I will be there helping to clog up AVSIM's servers after it comes out.

One addition that should be considered if at all there is an update, is the addition of the HUD that is used on the Fedex Freighter MD-11.

y572_3.jpgC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Marlon Carter - AVSIM Reviewer

Guys, I may be in the minority that actually takes the time to read things through all of the pages of a thread, but I'm self-quoting myself here for those who seem to have not gotten the memo about the DC6 and other "side projects".  It's not an opportunity cost issue like many are assuming.

The difference is that there were gaps in the development cycle that are now filled.  It's not an issue of opportunity cost, rather an issue of making money where none was previously made.

The DC-6 is a lighter interim project that is meant to fill the gap between the major developments to keep the teams tasked with something.  They are not deferring resources to work on it, rather, as resources become available, they can move to the interim project.

The teams were originally idle at various times during the main project's development cycle, and are no longer idle.  As such, by releasing a new product, regardless of the aircraft type, money is now being made where money was previously not made.

Kyle Rodgers

But by that strategy, "making money where money was previously not made", its really no true loss for them to upgrade the Md-11. If the choice was to sit idle and wait for the next big project, or to make a cheap upgrade for the Md-11 to a near NGX-standard (as close as it gets without having to remake the whole aircraft), I really dont see the problem.

But then again Im no insider into PMDG`s economy or strategy. Just drawing some conclusions on their own logic in regards to idle times..

So where does this leave my crystal ball, no where as it is never right anyway. If I had my guess it will be something we will say after it is announced, Duh! I should have guessed that. I am sure I will be there helping to clog up AVSIM's servers after it comes out.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: that conclusion made my day

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

To follow up your thread  about MD-11s slowly dying out, luckily I was fortunate enough to have flown on a Garuda MD-11 Brisbane-Jakarta.

Good lord we still have the KLM pax (not to long though), and the Martinair freighters flying in and out Schiphol Amsterdam airport. Made a lot of pictures already, before they're gone for good :(

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond