Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Delta747Man

What is The Best Twin?

Alright....let me preface by saying that I know the RA Duke is the best. I intend on ordering said aircraft this weekend. But, besides the Duke, what do you all think is the best twin (can be piston, turbine, etc, but must be propeller driven) avaibable? I am hoping for some good FPS performance, decent graphics, and relatively in-depth systems modelling. I would fly anything from the size of the Baron on up to the King Air.

Suggestions Appreciated,

John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't have the Milviz C310, but I've seen enough comments to be convinced that it's worth getting. (... and you'll love the Duke, regardless of whether you get the piston or the turbine version.)

I think that the RA Dukes are probably the best GA twins out there, but as mentioned in the other thread the Carenado Skymaster is great, too. Not only is it an unusual twin engined plane due to the in-line props, but it is also very easy to handle, probably also because of this special design, which is very helpful e.g. when one engine fails, since you don't have to counteract asymmetric thrust as much as you'd have to on "normal" twins. The downside might be that it doesn not really simulate any systems.

For larger twin props, I'd recommend the Majestic Dash 8Q400. Very deep systems, and fantastic flight model, but probably not what you want :rolleyes:

Don't forget the MilViz Baron 55, which is really good. Next to the RA Dukes (turbine and piston), the MilViz B55 is pretty much the best there is among GA twins currently on the market.

PMDG Jetstream 41 I still believe is the ultimate twin prop, but it's too big for GA stuff (Majestic Q400 a close second). For GA, don't really think you can beat the Milviz B55 Baron and Real Air's Turbine Duke.

Not very keen on the Carenado stuff, they always look great but avionics and flight dynamics are hit and miss.

RealityXP integration is also well worth having, their GNS430W is something to behold, even if it is pricey.

Carenado C340,C90,B200,C337,B58

Milviz B55

RA Duke's

Try the 340 its a great plane I fly it all the time.

I own and fly both of the RealAir Dukes, the Carenado C337 and the Milviz B55.  I would recommend all of them as good GA twins, each with it's own unique purpose and feel, and all of them offer RXP integration as well.  All have great flight characteristics - be careful about simply dismissing Carenado, as some of their planes are actually quite complete and have good to excellent flight models. 

Which one of these I fly depends on mood or mission, but I'm never disappointed flying any of them.

Scott

MilViz C310R

....to me, it's quite considerably more 'real' feeling than the RealAir Duke....  The latter has a 'glossiness' that I am not keen on, and cockpit sound immersion in also not so great ...... the MilViz C310R has amazing cockpit immersion and is fabulous in every regard!

The only twin GA I fly. :smile:

The Aeroworx King Air 200 is also brilliant!!! But as Dave I also recommend the C310R and as mentioned the Carenado C337.

Edit: Doh! The King Air is of course a FS9 airplane... Still brilliant, but wrong sim....

Q400_Flyer, on 22 May 2013 - 5:42 PM, said:

MilViz C310R

....to me, it's quite considerably more 'real' feeling than the RealAir Duke.... The latter has a 'glossiness' that I am not keen on, and cockpit sound immersion in also not so great ...... the MilViz C310R has amazing cockpit immersion and is fabulous in every regard!

The only twin GA I fly. :smile:

I'm a huge fan of the C310 too. Very immersive and realistic feel with the sound effects, detailed VC etc. and the aircraft itself just looks great.

I agree about the Duke. I think it's just the RealAir "visual style" - all their aircraft have the same type of "glossy" feel. It's hard to describe, but it looks artificial and "rendered" even though the texture resolution is fine and polygon count looks to be quite high. The Turbine Duke is still one of my favorite GA aircraft though, so it's not a huge issue.

ckyliu, on 22 May 2013 - 4:38 PM, said:

Not very keen on the Carenado stuff, they always look great but avionics and flight dynamics are hit and miss.

Indeed, the quality of Carenado's releases is inconsistent, especially when it comes to flight dynamics and the frame rate. Some are great, while others are not so good. Before purchasing any of their aircraft, it's a good idea to search through forums to see what people think of them. The C337 is considered one of their best, however all their releases have bugs, glitches or incompleteness that may or may not be an issue for you.

Hmmm that 310 looks nice.  I'd been recommended to check out the RA Duke as well and had thought I was going to get it, the STOL capability of the turbine version really had my interest peaked.  It's sounding like the 310 might be a little better overall package though? (and a bit cheaper too)

MilViz C310R and Milviz B55, have them both.   I believe that Milviz is the new developer of excellence.  Their GA planes are equal to Carenado in exterior texture quality, and they exceed all developers (except PMDG) as far as cockpit graphics and systems functionality.  I am told that their FDE models are spot on. I don't intend to buy anything else in the near future as long as they keep producing GA aircraft and they maintain their quality.

The Dukes and 310 are great.  If you want something out of the ordinary, you might try Aerosoft's OV-10.  It is the only twin I know of so far where you can shut down an engine in flight, and restart it realistically.  If you don't mind an extra set of engines, A2A's B-17 is also very awesome.

Cheers

TJ

It's sounding like the 310 might be a little better overall package though? (and a bit cheaper too)

The Dukes (turbine and piston) are available as a package deal which makes for a pretty good price if you have an interest in both. 

The 310 is very nice, but I wouldn't say it's the better overall package - it depends on what you're looking for and what you enjoy.  Remember that you can never take the subjective part out of things. 

I have the 310 as well, but didn't mention it in my earlier posting because I don't fly it much.  It's not that it's not a good plane - it is, probably one of the best when it comes to flight models - but I find the panel to be a bit dated looking, so the immersion a couple of other posters reference doesn't kick in as well for me.  And if you're using RXPs, integration with the Dukes' it's done via a configuration screen, while on the 310, you use a "free radio" panel variant and hand-build your own (2D) radio stack. 

Note I'm not suggesting the other posters are wrong, or that the 310 isn't a good plane, just sayin' don't read too much into one or two opinions - mine included.  ^_^

Scott

+1 for the Majestic Q400. It even eclipses the NGX in terms of quality, flight dynamics and immersion, in my opinion. Of course, we should give PMDG the benefit of the doubt given that the Q400 came out almost 2 years after the NGX. We'll see if PMDG takes it up a notch with the 777.

Q400 all the way!

Q400 all the way!

That's a leetle bit bigger than the upper size limit of a KA the OP set, don't you think?  :mellow:

Scott

Hmmm that 310 looks nice.  I'd been recommended to check out the RA Duke as well and had thought I was going to get it, the STOL capability of the turbine version really had my interest peaked.  It's sounding like the 310 might be a little better overall package though? (and a bit cheaper too)

Cheaper, maybe, but better?  The original premise that the Duke is the best GA twin still stands IMHO, and I would also go with the C337 as an interesting alternative.  Either way, get a RealityXP GNS530 - it fits in both aircraft.

Personally, I like the piston Duke better than the Turbine version, but others may disagree..

Wow, thanks to everyone for the answers. I am getting both the Dukes. I will research the Milviz as that seems to be a good aircraft. I have their F-15E and love it, though I am still learning a lot of it, as I only received it 2 weeks ish ago now.

I have both the MilViz C310 and the Carenado B58.  MilViz's depiction of a Cessna 310R is awesome and if you don't like the radios, they give you a model that has a blank space so you can install whatever radios or gps you desire.  What I don't like about it is that it is a Cessna 310, they just are not that popular anymore and getting passengers into the back seats is a pain.  But MilViz's depiction of the 310 is incredible, right down to flight modeling.

I bought the Carenado B58 because there seems to be a lot more Barons in the air than C310's these days.  The external model is spot-on, the interior was very well done too.  Avionics, you have a pair of Garmin GNS-430's for nav, comms, and GPS, no other choices.  The transponder is a Garmin 330, but has only the most basic of transponder functions, yet there is a free-ware version that has far more features.  I found that swapping in the free-ware transponder was easy.  What has proved to be impossible is proper back-lighting for the radio selector.  It has none, so to see it at night you turn on the dome light, not particularly realistic.

Oh, how is MilViz's cockpit lighting?  Back-lights are controlled by a dimmer switch, one for the pilot's panel, another switch for the co-pilot's panel.  Very clever those MilViz chaps.

And what is the problem with Casenado C340 ? You are not have said too many positive from it in this topic .

I wonder the lack of recomendations with C340 from Carenado as well. Obviously it has not sold well as it has only few repaints available. Yet I like it a lot.

With Milviz Baron I have mixed feelings. I think its under utilized. With the two-blade propeller option I would have a perfect retro-style twin, but it has those stupid GPSes glued to dashboard, which, furthermore, is painful to read and use without Track-IR. It also consumes more fps than usual. So why provide a old model and leave the cockpit modernized? A cockpit option with default ADF etc. would have been the easiest thing to do. It has many exciting repaints available. I just cannot grasp its virtual design philosophy.

And what is the problem with Casenado C340 ? You are not have said too many positive from it in this topic .

The 340 was one of Carenado's first panels with 3d gauges - not as visually pleasing as their later airplanes..

The 340 was one of Carenado's first panels with 3d gauges - not as visually pleasing as their later airplanes..

mmmm, I have to totally disagree. :smile:

I am no fan of Carenado these days (there was no-one better for GA back in FS9 days), but the only two aircraft I fly by them are the C208B and the 340. The 208B has slightly better VC visuals, but the 340 flies nicer (without lot's of aftermarket tweaks). Although I fly the C208 more because it has such a diverse mission, I would say that the 340 is probably the best all round plane that Carenado have made IMHO. Excellent frames/performance, the best sound I've heard in a Carenado offering, the best FDE (from a very hit and miss selection), and the VC visuals in my opinion are nautical miles better than the likes of their KAs, SR22, C210, B58, etc.

It's not quite the MilViz C310 in terms of 'convincingness', but the Carenado 340 is certainly a 'black horse' and highly under-rated. It and the C208 are the only Carenado aircraft I'd heartily recommend.

Hi all,

I don't fly GA twins much the only one I do use is the Carenado Cessna C340, it doesn't seem to get much mention these days but I like it,I guess that's because it something a little unusual and there aren't many around in the real world either.

I couldn't tell you if it's accurate or not, but it flies nicely and sounds wonderful. Only thing I have found is it floats a bit over the runway on landing but apart from that I like it.

Happy flying.