Sign in to follow this  
Nialloc

Better ATC which product

Hi all

I'm looking at buying either Radar Contact or Pro Flight Emulator, just wondering if one is better than the other?

I like the idea of the different voice sets in PFE but have heard that Radar Contact is easier to use.

Would really appreciate your advice.

Niall

PS I've stopped using FSX on my core i5 @4.2 ghz, still too many stutters. FS9 runs like a dream and I love it :-)

Radar Contact is much easier to use and i prefer it over Pro Flight Emulator. The only thing i dislike about Radar Contact are the voices there a bit to robotic for me so i stopped using it hopefully something better will come to light 

To fix the robotic voices, look up some voice packs here on avsim by someone named "Meat Water" I believe. Basically he sped up the wav files so the speech sounds much more realistic.

I'm pretty happy with Radar Contact when I'm not on Vatsim. While I don't have experience with PFE, one cool thing about it is that is has different accents depending on the region. For example, controllers in China, or Chinese airline AI will have Chinese accents, and so on. It also provides taxi instructions, whereas in RC when you ask for taxi clearance, it will just tell you "taxi to runway X" without giving you taxiways/directions.

Actually I could be wrong about that last bit, but I thought I remember seeing a video of PFE in action and it giving taxi instructions. Don't hold me to that though.

My vote goes to PFE. It is more complicated to use at first, but it is better and the different accents (99 accents) give you a better experience, especially, if you are flying in western Europe or the US. And yes it gives you taxi instructions and you can assign an arrival gate before hand.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

I understand neither one of them is very good with VFR. Is that correct?

If so, then I would stick with the FS9 default... I'm a VFR pilot and an addon addict - I think I'd probably be a developer if I had more skill, since I spend most of my time tinkering...

Although I do enjoy a nice flight. I've spent at least 20 hours over the last two weeks in the Piper Cub buzzing around the Appalachians...

I use both options ... picking either one on whim.

As has been summarised above Radar Contact is easier to master, Pro Flight Emulator more satisfying.

Incidentally both work with Multi Crew Experience ... so one can interface using voice only adding realism to your flights.

I understand neither one of them is very good with VFR. Is that correct?

VFR by definition means no contact, or minimal contact, with ATC. That said, PFE does support flight following as well as most of the usual multicom/unicom announcements...taking the runway/departing; reporting position on approach; reporting downwind, base and final; reporting clear of runway. The multicom/unicom announcements can be used if you begin a flight IFR and end it VFR. The most common situation would be departing from a controlled airport and landing at an uncontrolled one. Conversly, you can take off from an uncontrolled airport, pick up your flight plan in the air and complete the flight under full ATC.

Having used both RC and PFE, I can't say either has an overwhelming advantage over the other. The important thing is that either one is a vast improvement over the default ATC. 

Keep in mind that Radar Contact is no longer being supported.  There have been no updates for years.  There is minimal support on the forums, but don't expect any additional versions of RC.  I don't have any experience with PFE.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

IMO support here at AVSIM for RC is very good and as fast as it can be.

That said, the PFE support forum is checked and answered daily, as well.

Currently neither product is being developed any further, so both can be considered to have reached the end of their respective development cycles.

What about ProAtc? true it is still in need of updates......to date it does not interact with AI traffic and still some other bugs but if we take the developers word an update is nearly with us. I have it and it is pretty good and apparently quite true to real world. You can upload voices into it as well. But like I said it does have all us lot Beta testing it :wacko: so you pays your money.............. oh and it aint cheap either :blink:

Mmm....does ProATC work with FS9? (BTW, this is the FS9 forum).

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Keep in mind that Radar Contact is no longer being supported.  There have been no updates for years.  There is minimal support on the forums, but don't expect any additional versions of RC.  I don't have any experience with PFE.

Where is your evidence that Radar Contact is no longer supported? It most certainly is.

Work on v5 has stopped and an announcement about its future is overdue from John Dekker.

v4.3 may be several years old but it still works.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Where is your evidence that Radar Contact is no longer supported? It most certainly is.

Work on v5 has stopped and an announcement about its future is overdue from John Dekker.

v4.3 may be several years old but it still works.

"Supported" may have been the wrong term to use.  The forum can answer most questions and get you through any installation and operation issues you may have with 4.3 (which does work, and works well).  I mainly wanted the OP to understand "development" (yeah, that's the word I was looking for), was kaput.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I am using RC from day one, I never  experienced ,any difficulties from RC group/ developer. They were always there when you need their help.

RC4 for me was four start from first day . One day  I found "  "meatwater vocpack developed for RC4"  at AVSIM Library. I installed  "meatwater vocpack" and made my first flight, RC4 reached the highest rate mark FIVE stars. Many thanks also to "meatwater vocpack" developer.

I cannot fly without it. :Party:    

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"