Sign in to follow this  
Maniac59

Is it worth $90?

of course its worth it! 

I have both the Ngx 737 and the T777 and got those 2 bad boys working around the clock, the 737 during the day and the 777 throughout the night! Im glad their isn't any maintenance to pay!  :Smug:

ZORAN

It is more expensive than I think anything else on the market, but it is very good. I'm having great fun flying the cargo varient.

I'm just investigating major FPS drop at dusk (it dropped to 8 FPS on approach to the stock Anchorage) but I think I know the reason (dusk/dawn texture smoothing) and will try a possible fix tomorrow.

The aircraft itself is outstanding - it handles very nicely indeed, and is a pleasure to hand-fly.

The VC is eye-wateringly good, and the sounds are immersive (just as important IMHO).

I just completed a 9 hour flight without any issues, so my next flight will be max range.

If you liked the NGX, you will looooooove the 777!!!!!!

My only gripe is the manuals have DRAFT plastered across them as a watermark. Not sure why as previous manuals did not have this. No word from PMDG either. Maybe it reduced cost? Not a big deal as I think all the information is present and correct, but it is distracting when reading, and not "clean" which is disappointing. The manuals are there though, which is important.

For some screenshots of my flight, read this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418602-out-of-memory/

I started posting to demonstrate that what I was stating about prevention of OOME was correct. :P

Best regards,

Robin.

Gee - sorry not tempted.

$90 bucks US is a lot of money for a single plane. PMDG can easily justify this price with the manpower and time taken to develop it - so no quibble there from me. But at that price it is not even in the casual purchase category. So no, I will not be tempted. I am just waiting for their DC6 - please!!!

The Majestic Q400 surpassed the NGX in overall quality and innovation, but the 777 makes PMDG back up on top. Amazing addon. Very expensive, yes, but for the price of 2 video games, I will get years of enjoyment. I am still using the MD-11X and 747X that I purchased from PMDG the day of release.

The sounds, the computerized checklist, the graphics, the RAAS, the systems, wow. My only complaint as usual is no WX. IMO no excuses on such an expensive and complete addon. They say it can't be modeled 100% realistic but so what? Many things cannot yet PMDG found a way around it or created their own system. If they really wanted to, they could setup a program that reads the weather file created by addons like activesky, just like they do for terrain. The terrain system reads from a database file. Anyway, it's a thing that bugs me because you can't properly fly without weather radar, especially the long distance routes over dangerous terrain that long haul aircraft fly.

Jarhead, you're right. You don't have to fly 15 hour flights but the airplane was built for long haul. I think the shortest flight that British Airways Virtual ( one of the VA's I fly for) is 6 1/2 hours.

If you fly for BAV they use the real world routes, plenty of shorthual on the 777, a few routes are under 45 minutes

Rob Prest

At this price it is bargain given the hours of pleasure it will offer. I have bought two copies so that my 12yr old son can practice as he is determined to fly the real thing in around 10 years time. Can't put a price on that.

Steve D

London UK

At this price it is bargain given the hours of pleasure it will offer. I have bought two copies so that my 12yr old son can practice as he is determined to fly the real thing in around 10 years time. Can't put a price on that.Steve DLondon UK

Watch what happens when he turns 14

Rob Prest

At this price it is bargain given the hours of pleasure it will offer. I have bought two copies so that my 12yr old son can practice as he is determined to fly the real thing in around 10 years time. Can't put a price on that.

Steve D

London UK

yes you can, 90% off biz class flights for dad  :P

ZORAN

I'm sure that the 777 is a great product, But $90 is a lot of money...

$50 maybe...Anyone else feel the same way?

Maniac

It is worth twice that amount. Get it m8 you won't be dissapointed

Well, it is one of the most expensive addons ever made and $90 is a lot of money for an FSX addon. It is, however, good enough to justify that price.

So yeah, it's worth $90. I don't know if I would call it a 'bargain' but the price is still fair.

Have a nice day

Julian Roschlau

I normally am a more 'read-only' kind of avsim member here but in this case I'd like to say that this is money well spent! Think of al the hours you'll be flying this great airplane and compare this with like a ticket for the movie theatre. With this quality addon PMDG could have raised the price by another $90. This is absolute value for money.

Steven

FSX cost way more money to make and i payed $29.99 3yrs ago...

I'm not going to get into any debates, but I just want to address this particular idea here because I've seen it elsewhere too - the idea that a product shouldn't ever cost more than the platform it runs on.

FSX was made by one of the world's largest software companies and it did north of 100 million dollars in total sales and is still going. Even if FSX had made no money at all Microsoft would have easily been able to take the loss out of the huge revenue they make with Windows and Office and Xbox and so on.

We are not Microsoft, we are a small team of guys here that essentially make one type of product and only have new products brought to market once every few years. We also are not going to sell a gazillion copies of anything and make 100 million dollars. Plenty of other software out there follows this kind of model because it exists in a small niche market. I paid more than $600 for a music notation application that runs on my cheap-by-comparison copy of Windows 7 for instance. There is a very small market for that type of program compared to Windows, so the price has to be higher so that the developers can still make a living selling far less copies than Windows does. It's not about how much something cost to make or how difficult it was or whatever. High-end addons like the 777 are a tiny tiny slice of the overall market that bought FSX.

This concept is known as "economies of scale" by the way if you'd like to read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economies_of_scale

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com