Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

AS Next available now

Since I am pretty new to FSX the only weather program I have used is REX. Now I have seen people say you can use the REX textures with ASN but my question is do I need to? Does ASN come with it's own set of textures that are better or are REX textures still the way to go with ASN? 

ASN is just a wx generator.

All the product features are on the website.

One of Hifi's older products, X Garphics, will also work as the texture pack.  Their reply to my query was,    "Absolutely it will work fine"

Does ASN come with it's own set of textures that are better or are REX textures still the way to go with ASN?

If ASN has his own textures is a question which is now answered several times, but again: no ;)

Whatever textures you prefer it's up to you. You can use REX, FEX, FSX standard, Freeware, Payware, what you like.

Just be careful if you start a Weatherengine which is providing textures also, that you just copy the textures into FSX (FSX is NOT running) and then close that Weatherengine!

In other words: make sure, you do not have running two engines together ...

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok cool so REX textures it is. Now like I said I have not used anything but REX so how do I use the REX textures in ASN? Is there a manual that explains how to do that once downloaded?

4: Windshifts and cloudpopping

The most-recent version of OPUSFSX (3.38.0) also has an anti-cloud popping algorithm:

OpusFSX Beta Version 3.38.0 is now available for download on our website.

Remember when installing the OpusFSX_v338_Beta.msi file you must uninstall your current version before installing the new version (do not delete your previous \OpusFSX installation folder).

After installing please check all the settings in your Configure and Weather dialogues. You can download from http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/downloads.htm

Introduced new Cloud Smoothing software to preserve all local cloud coverage during weather updates and hence prevent or minimise any cloud popping during the weather updates. The Opus on-screen weather reports will append an (S) label to all cloud descriptions to warn the user that Cloud Smoothing is in force at that location and the listed cloud layers may therefore differ from what is reported in the METARs. Cloud Smoothing is inhibited at all specified Destination and Alternate sites.

My guess is that the authors were internally testing it, but decided to release it, since the "death match" of the weather engines has begun. Has anybody heard of when the P3d2 version of ASN will be available, other than "soon"?

Ok cool so REX textures it is. Now like I said I have not used anything but REX so how do I use the REX textures in ASN?

If you've used REX textures before, they're loaded.  You don't need to do anything - just fire off ASN and fly.

If you want to change the textures you have loaded, just go into REX, go to the textures section, choose the textures you want and then you can exit REX.

Scott

The most-recent version of OPUSFSX (3.38.0) also has an anti-cloud popping algorithm:

It sure as heck took 'em long enough.  Active Sky has had this for ages.

Has anyone actually seen this in action yet?  Last I heard the newest version wasn't available yet.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Ok cool so REX textures it is. Now like I said I have not used anything but REX so how do I use the REX textures in ASN? Is there a manual that explains how to do that once downloaded?

Let me try to explain what happens there:

Cloudtextures are just little pictures ... if you like, you could fire up Photoshop and make your clouds green, red, blue ;)

Addons, which do provide textures, in your case REX, do nothing more then replace the FSX standard textures (same for runways, lights, taxiways, signs etc)

That is the reason why you can't change these textures while FSX is running.

Now, a weatherengine is just a tool which arranges your clouds according to several datas (METAR, GRIB etc) and try to simulate the reality as good as it is possible (hopefully). But if you have choosen red cloud textures, then the brilliant weather is also working, just your clouds are red! ;)

So, in conclusion: Weatherengines and Weather(cloud)textures does not have to do anything which each other. Some tools mix them up, but you could do that yourself also.

So, once your favorite texture set is loaded (replaced) in FSX, you don't have to change anything and you could use the weatherengine you like.

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

Climbed out with ASN. At 300ft AGL I was in the clouds and couldn't see squat outside. It was a very fast transition but wasn't the "flick a lightswitch, now you see the ground now you don't" transition. Completely realistic.

With OPUS, the effect was very much like flicking a switch. Not that smooth.

With ASN, at 3,000ft I gradually and very slowly started seeing more detail as I emerged above the overcast above Washington. Total overcast too, with barely any performance hit.

With OPUS, as soon as I hit 3,000ft someone flicked that lightswitch again and BOOM everything was clear below me where a second ago it was soup.

That did it.

Opus...you and I have had fun. But your spot as #1 is done.

As much as I has loved Opus, this has been the one thing I've missed the most in...well, any WX-engine, and now its finally here thanks to ASN:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

I'm Impressed as well 

only issue i had was my water went back to milky white snow looking crap. 

i deleted my water shaders and it seems to of gone back to the way it was before. i'm running in dx10 with steve's dx10 fixer 

other than that its great, i haven't got into any hairy weather yet but i will. i do like how the smooth transitions work, it was always lame with rex when the clouds popped in and out.

very nice 

JHo

So far I love AS Next, finally there's some challenge to bad weather thanks to all the awesome turbulence and wind shear effects.

Haven't tried the demo yet, but I wonder if part of all this is just a placebo. It's the latest n greatest thing. OPUS release was just like this thread. I think I'll give ASN some time to mature before I try the demo.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I read this entire thread and all I saw is people comparing opus with asn....

I really can't believe that almost anyone here never tried fsgrw!!!!!?

The only aspect where I see fsgrw looses out to asn is when updating the weather, fsgrw flickers the screen top for a second... other than that, I don't see a reason to change from fsgrw to asn! :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Opus has left the building!

ASN wins - had the trial for 12 hours before making my decision.   

FTX Vector is next.  Oh boy - Christmas comes early !