Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Mindstar GPS

One of the GNS units in this picture is from the Garmin trainer... the other is the Mindstar Aviation GNS 430.

GNSComp.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

clicking on the more info tab doesn't tell me anything about the unit apart from its comparable data base. Is this intentional or is there a link Im missing?

ZORAN

Ed, not sure what you are saying here...

Both Flight1 and Reality XP have Garmin units driving the autopilot with lateral and vertical guidance when

on an LPV approach..  so, this has been done before..

Does your RealNav database not support vertical glidepath information for WAAS approaches?

Bert... correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall Flight1 offering a stand-alone 430/530 gauge for installation into other aircraft. As for RXP, I will not discuss how they did it other than to state it's not legal to do so and Mindstar Aviation will not go down that 'path'.

clicking on the more info tab doesn't tell me anything about the unit apart from its comparable data base. Is this intentional or is there a link Im missing?

It's a 430/530 gauge where you can install any combination you desire:

1 - Single 430

2 - Single 530

3 - Dual 430

4 - 430 and 530 combo.

Aside from that, they're 430/530 units that behave like the Garmin units they're designed to train on. There is no terrain at this time. The only color difference, since someone says the colors are wrong (they aren't) is the airspace color of which the default FS airspace color is blue instead of green. The yellow airspace showing in the one image is a special airspace around Leesburg (KJYO) that is probably not in the trainers but exists in the real world.

We have two individuals who were part of the beta test process for us, twharrell and LeeL. Perhaps they might be willing to post in this thread regarding the usability/features of these units as well as speak towards the ability to integrate them into aircraft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Bert... correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall Flight1 offering a stand-alone 430/530 gauge for installation into other aircraft.

Ed, I was actually referring to the G1000 in their Mustang and C182T - they offer LPV lateral and vertical guidance to the

autopilot in their respective airplanes - not as stand alone units,  you are correct.

Bert

Ed, I was actually referring to the G1000 in their Mustang and C182T - they offer LPV lateral and vertical guidance to the

autopilot in their respective airplanes - not as stand alone units,  you are correct.

Neither of those aircraft are using default FS autopilot or default FS gauges for display. They can make it function 100% like the real deal in that case.

However, we can't do that with default FS and other third-party autopilots on our own. To support that behavior with third-party autopilots would be possible, but with default FS autopilot and default FS gauges, just isn't going to happen.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Would, for instance, Carenado be a third party Autopilot?

I would have no idea whatsoever, that is something you would have to ask them. Either they have created their own autopilot or they are using the default FS autopilot.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

As for RXP, I will not discuss how they did it other than to state it's not legal to do so and Mindstar Aviation will not go down that 'path'.

Ed,

You are, of course, free to discuss your product as you see fit.  However, making such a blanket statement publicly, against another developer, when you aren't prepared to cite specifics is where things become problematic for both you and AVSIM.  The world is full of "armchair lawyers", and this is not the proper venue for adjudicating such claims.  Please refrain from making such statements on the forums in the future. 
Cheers,

Jeff

• Upvote 1

( on the subject of making 3d models for the external units). We already do that for the RXP stuff. Doing it for the mindstar stuff as well is a no brainer.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

ITS OUT!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

ITS OUT!

Shoot!! What am I doing sitting here...I've got to go buy it!!  I've been waiting for this.  :happy:

Please let us know what you think Rob.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Ed,

You are, of course, free to discuss your product as you see fit.  However, making such a blanket statement publicly, against another developer, when you aren't prepared to cite specifics is where things become problematic for both you and AVSIM.  The world is full of "armchair lawyers", and this is not the proper venue for adjudicating such claims.  Please refrain from making such statements on the forums in the future. 

Cheers,

Jeff

Get over yourself, Jeff.  Ed made no such blanket statement or judgement about RXP or any other developer. He was asked point blank: why is it that RXP can drive the default autopilot and Mindstar cannot? He answered the question both truthfully and tactfully. No one is being an "armchair lawyer."

To those who have purchased or are thinking about purchasing the Mindstar GNS pack: the units work well as a 2D gauge in every aircraft I use. However, the only aircraft that I have been able to successfully integrate the units into the VC so far are the old Carenado addons like the C208B, and the A2A Cessna 172. It is my understanding that the new Carenado models do not support integration. Unfortunately, unless their position has changed, Carenado has told me multiple times by email they have zero interest in making their addons compatible with either the Mindstar G1000 (which has been out for several years) or the GNS530/430. The MilViz C310 VC (and I assume the B55 VC) are mostly compatible, meaning the buttons and knobs don't align perfectly. Because of that, the knobs don't work as they should and the night textures are off. Hopefully adjustments will be made at some point, but do understand MilViz has many a nice project coming down the pipe so adjusting those VC's may not be their top priority right now. I am crossing my fingers for a compatible MU-2, though. MilViz, right now, is the one developer who seems to be on board with Mindtstar compatibility.  I asked Aerosoft about making the Twin Otter compatible, but I was told they have zero interest in accommodating 3rd party gauge developers in their future add-ons. The 2D gauges work just fine, though. RealAir has told me if enough people express interest, they will consider making the VC of both the Duke and Turbine Duke compatible. Until then, the 2D version of the gauge works fine in the Turbine Duke (and I assume piston Duke as well). Lastly, the 2D gauge also works in the Razbam Metro. Unfortunately, Razbam will not be making the VC compatible since it has modeled the VC with a Trimble GPS.

So, right now, you have only a few VC integration options. If you don't mind using a 2D gauge, the GNS units work in just about everything.  If enough people petition the developers respectfully to make their VC's compatible, then I think we'll see more and more developers jump on board, as they once did with RXP. Just remember, today is only the first day of release.

Todd

To those who have purchased or are thinking about purchasing the Mindstar GNS pack:

Todd, thanks for the summary.  Much appreciated.

Is there a noticeable performance cost to these gauges?  In my opinion, one of the pluses for the RXP units has been the negligible performance hit, I'd be interested to know if these are similar in that regard.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Get over yourself, Jeff. Ed made no such blanket statement or judgement about RXP or any other developer. He was asked point blank: why is it that RXP can drive the default autopilot and Mindstar cannot? He answered the question both truthfully and tactfully. No one is being an "armchair lawyer."

Todd,

Ed and I have already discussed this matter via PM.  He explained his position to me just as I clarified mine with him, and that is as far as I will go in discussing the substance of that conversation. Whether you believe it or not, my intent was to protect Ed just as much as it was to protect AVSIM.  It is my responsibility, as it is with all mod's, to interpret and enforce AVSIM's Terms of Service as it pertains to posts made on the forum.  If you have an issue with the manner in which I discharge that function, you may feel free to address it with Jim Young, AVSIM's Director of Forums. I'm sure he would be happy to discuss your concerns. In any case, I consider the matter closed and suggest that you do the same.

Regards,

Jeff