Sign in to follow this  
Alec

HORRIBLE FSX performance with 780 Ti

There is hope here, I am running a GTX 780TI also and am getting 40-60 FPS all settings maxed out with FTX global, Vector, and REX 4 using the citation Mustang and no AI traffic. With UT2 settings at 70% for both airlines and GA IT drops to 25-30 and in Los Angeles it will drop to 25. I will attach my CFG to my next post when I get to my desktop.

Noticed in your BUFFERPOOLS section you also added USEPOOLS=0 , doesn't this turn pools off so you are infact running with BP=0

Noticed in your BUFFERPOOLS section you also added USEPOOLS=0 , doesn't this turn pools off so you are infact running with BP=0

Ya so I was reading kostas guide on tweaking your configuration file and he said usepools=0 and BP=0 actually both accomplish the same thing from my understanding.

I switched from a gtx570 to a 780Ti about a month ago, and with no changes to anything I got noticeably better performance in FSX. I get 40-60fps even in dense scenery areas. Hang in there, you will find the issue that is causing the lousy fps eventually.

- Bill Magann

Ya so I was reading kostas guide on tweaking your configuration file and he said usepools=0 and BP=0 actually both accomplish the same thing from my understanding.

Thats right you can use the command as a switch to turn bufferpools on or off.

I suppose the idea is whilst testing with different bufferpool sizes you can use the switch to do this and it saves time in editing the cfg file.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

As Tabs said, with such a newer card, it's hard for me to go back on older drivers, specially since I have many games that depends on the improvement these newer drivers bring,  it's really night and day difference for some games!

I have come to the conclusion maybe it doesn't have to do with FSX. I'm now trying DX10 mode, and the FPS is better. But it's not even close to the 40-60 fps some of you with the 780 Ti are reporting. Running the FSXMark11 test with FTX Global and Autogen Very Dense I get around 15fps. My CPU is OCed to 4.4Ghz, so that's not the issue.

The only difference is that I now have a Single Channel 8GB DDR3 memory instead of a Dual Channel 2X4GB, but I don't think it would bring the system to it's knees like this. I read all the time the difference is lower than 5% in games.

Unfortunately I'm a little low on cash right now, so buying the DX10 Fixer is not a great thing to do to my wallet, but I'm very curious to check it if does improve FPS from the default DX10 FSX mode.

And I did a system reinstall after I got this card! It runs Assassins Creed 4 well, which is a VERY heavy game.

I will let you know if I reach a conclusion!

Alexis Mefano

Not the greatest advice on a newly released card like this - older driver versions likely don't even support it.

I had a similar issue happen when I moved from a GTX 260 to a 570. Performance was terrible in FSX. I reformatted and it was a night and day difference. I know that's a pain to do but I've seen it first hand - changing the card can cause weird stuff to happen in Windows. I always reformat when I make any major hardware changes as a result now.

+1 to this , Windows can really screw things up installing a new card. Formatting is the best way

PMDG777+ Flytampa Dubai i have 45-65fps sitting with engine running in gate

FSDT-KLAX Gate 30 =40-50fps 

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I don't doubt that reformatting may have profound effects generally in Windows, but that seems extreme at best. Try clearing out all Nvidia drivers using Driver Sweeper, and follow Nick N's guide to the T in regards to clean installing new drivers.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

A single 8gb RAm chip? Why?

What's wrong with your 2x4gb?

Pierre

Try clearing out all Nvidia drivers using Driver Sweeper,

X2

I'm betting this will clear up the issue. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

formatting is not the answer.

what version Nvidia drivers are being used ? 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

A single 8gb RAm chip? Why?

What's wrong with your 2x4gb?

My system was restarting randomly. I thought it had something to do with the Dual Channel and some kind of Bios issue of my Mobo. So I sold my dual stick and bough a single one. Turned out the problem was with the Power Cable of the PSU having a bad connection, in certain positions it will stop sending enough power to the PC.

I will try a complete uninstall of the Nvidia Drivers and let you guys know!

Alexis Mefano

The only difference is that I now have a Single Channel 8GB DDR3 memory instead of a Dual Channel 2X4GB, but I don't think it would bring the system to it's knees like this. I read all the time the difference is lower than 5% in games.

Hi Alexis, 

In some environments such as memory-intensive workloads [exercise your VAS much? :P ] the difference can be considerable - up to 35-percent in benchmark tests. I wouldn't be surprised to see you pick up 25-percent with another stick since FSX is indeed memory intensive.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Hi Alec

When you install the Nvidia drivers you have, under the advanced mode, the option for that clean install!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I reinstalled FSX from scratch, did everything like FSXMark11 says, and got 8Fps average!

Something is so wrong. Even turning off Autogen and removing the Clouds I get 20Fps from the cockpit view in the FSXMark scenario.

Have no idea what might be causing this. VAS is around 1.7Gb, my graphic card is running normal.

I did a benchmark of the Tomb Rader Game, and I got 105 Average Fps. One website with the 780 Ti got 132, but they have a 6 Core Sandy Bridge-E which is way powerful than my current one, so I think that's close result!

Alexis Mefano

One other thing about the memory, I suppose you selected the suggested DIMM socket for that 8gb? Usually for a single DIMM, there is a suggested slot number...

Pierre