Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

What's your favorite 'bang-for-the-buck' VFR altitude?

My choice for ORBX products (where terrain allows...) is 2,800 ASL.  I feel that that brings out the best level of RL for both P3D, as well as FSX, for maximum detail in all ORBX products..and still gives you a good depth-of-field, out to the horizon plane.

Does anybody else have a preferred, and often 'go to' cruise VFR or VFR/IFR cruise altitude, and at what indicated knots?  For knots, I prefer 120-130 knots.  I fly mostly G.A flights and equipment, so these would be adequate speed and altitude parameters for  cross-country navigation and sight-seeing.

I'm sure that other users have their particulars preferences....let's hear from you..and why do you?

Hi, I usually fly low and slow, so this is 1500ft AMSL @ 80 knots (a2a c172). This is because it is my usual cruising altitude for short flights in real world at the moment. VFR navigation is more demanding and I can practice dead stick landings sometimes.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Hi, I usually fly low and slow, so this is 1500ft AMSL @ 80 knots (a2a c172). This is because it is my usual cruising altitude for short flights in real world at the moment. VFR navigation is more demanding and I can practice dead stick landings sometimes.

1,500 feet?  Wow..watch out for com towers on low hills! :)

2,500ft and 120 knots does it for me. Slower planes seem to make the scenery less immersive for some reason.

- Bill Magann

It depends where I'm flying. My home area is in the White Mountains, where my AMSL altitude is more like 6000 feet. When I'm not near the mountains, my AMSL is generally around 2500 feet.

Using AGL (Above Ground Level) altitude might be more meaningful in this thread. My AGL is generally 1000 to 1500 feet for my VFR flights, (unless the weather/visibility is bad).

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

About 2000-3000 AGL and about 200 kts hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It depends where I'm flying. My home area is in the White Mountains, where my AMSL altitude is more like 6000 feet. When I'm not near the mountains, my AMSL is generally around 2500 feet.

Using AGL (Above Ground Level) altitude might be more meaningful in this thread. My AGL is generally 1000 to 1500 feet for my VFR flights, (unless the weather/visibility is bad).

Good call, Arwen...AGL rather than my posted ASL.  So, I change mine also to 2,800 AGL. :)

I find that at between 2,000-2,800 gives the best definition within ORBX.  Even my 3,500 AGL (where I normally like to cruise...) starts cutting down the scale to crispness of textures, auto-gen and ground.  Same applies for FSX, generally.

Between 1500' - 6500' in the PNW, PFJ Orbx areas mostly. Usually in the A36 or Baron 58, cruising at whatever IAS she can suffer.  B)  

Cheers, Jazz

Happy 4th of July, to all our American friends.

Usually 1000-2000' AGL (I rarely leave the traffic pattern), but the big thing for me is VC zoom .30 (all the way out) but not using WideViewAspect=True or whatever it is. That does a lot to make ground textures appear sharper IMHO.

When VFR, 2,000 feet AGL, then to the next highest VFR altitude (east-bound odd thousands +500 feet MSL, west bound even thousands + 500 feet MSL.

Bruce.

2500 AGL and 110 knots With ORBX Global and Vector.   -   Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

fly around Vancouver Island , Canada at 6500 AGL in the A2A Cherokee and the views of the entire island are breathtaking  !!