Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

XPlane Development Status Thread [Updated 12SEP14]

Captains,

This thread will provide you with factual information related to PMDG's efforts to release products compatible with the Laminar Research Xplane10 platform.

General Status:
============
PMDG are currently developing a product to be released for the Laminar Research Xplane10 platform.  This product is the first product PMDG have developed for the Xplane platform and as such, details of the project are being kept in-house until the project has reached a sufficiently advanced stage and PMDG are comfortable with the overall quality and functionality of the product.

PMDG are using this first project as a "sandbox" from which to try out new and varied techniques in order to deliver the type of quality simulation experience that is desired by PMDG customers currently using our products in FSX.

Upon completion of this project, we will evaluate the market demand and the Xplane platform's viability as a platform for future growth of our PMDG BAe JS4100, PMDG 737NGX, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747-400v2.0 product lines with an eye toward making these products available to Xplane users.

PMDG does not intend to release any of our legacy products such as the PMDG MD-11 or PMDG 747-400X into the Xplane platform.

Products that enter development following the PMDG 747-400 v2.0 will be considered on a case-by-case basis depending upon their marketability on the Xplane platform.

Licensing and Use:
===============
Products offered on the Xplane platform will initially be offered only with a Home Entertainment licensing option.

Upon evaluation of the Xplane platform as a candidate for expanded licensing options, PMDG will evaluate offering expanded licensing models to cover the full range of non-entertainment applications for our products.

Customer Licensing for Xplane products will be handled directly through PMDG's current eCommerce portal.

Costs for licensing of Xplane based products will vary based upon the license model chosen and the desired use.  This will enable PMDG customers to choose a range of cost options based upon their needs and license requirements, from Home Entertainment up through PMDG Certified Training Solutions customized for specific airline customers.

TRAINING CENTER & AIRLINE CUSTOMIZATION:
=======================================
Training Centers and Airline customers desiring to use Xplane as a simulation platform are encouraged to speak with PMDG directly about making this option avilable in our future product releases for the Xplane platform.

Note: Training enabled licenses depend upon certification from Boeing and licensing by same.  This product line is not yet available.

ETA:
====
Currently, there are no PMDG products licensed for use with the Laminar Research Xplane platform.

We anticipate the release of our first product for use with Xplane will take place late in 1Q14, or possibly early 1Q15.

Once our first product has been released, we will begin working to convert one of the existing PMDG airliner simulations to Xplane compatibility, and details of that project will be made available at that time.

PRICING:
=======
Pricing for PMDG's new line of Xplane products will vary depending upon license type and intended use.  Airline customers are encouraged to contact PMDG directly in order that we can effectively recommend a solution to minimize direct and recurring costs.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I wonder if the DC6 is the first one... No mention of it in the thread.

Peter Osborn

I wonder if the DC6 is the first one... No mention of it in the thread.

I think they just changed the date from NOV13.

We anticipate the release of our first product for use with Xplane will take place late in 1Q14, or possibly early 1Q15.

4Q14, I think.

Robert, please, let us know something more about your first X-Plane plane.

Angelo

Maybe it's coded. Hmmm

"but we are "Darn Close" now.  (to quote the project lead...<cough>)"

"The DC-6 is still in development...  (it really is coming along nicely too!)"

DC-6

lol I would say it sounds posible that it perhaps could be DC-6 or something like that as it´s not something from the past, and i think it would be a nice way to enter as we all have to start one place and a plane of the older school might be the easy way. but lets see could be wrong but I guess it would be the way i would go to get a feel of it, but again then there would be a huge jump to NGX or so and I raly hope and know others do as well have a hope for ngx in x-plane it´s my favor but also know a freware version is in progress of the vc for thee model so perhaps that would stand a bit off then.. and pick another one sadly.. but all we can is wait even it´s hard, but when we know the model it´s just gona go crazy again in here 

Best regards Lars Nielsen    

I thought my memory was playing tricks on me.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am confused. Isn't this the same anouncement that was posted last year  ?

also confused...

From the "12SEP14 - General Update on Many Topics" thread:

PMDG's First Product for use with Laminar Research's XPlane:

The promise of PMDG's entry into the Xplane platform has been dangling out there for a couple of years now- and has recently taken some pretty bold steps toward finally being realized. Xplane has offered some significant challenges to us in terms of fundamentally changing the way in which we develop products so that we can offer our Xplane products across x32, x64, Windows, iOS and Linux...

Part of the reason it has taken us so long to bring an Xplane product to market is that our first project is a "from the ground up" development effort that was chosen primarily because it would give us the opportunity to work with a broad range of capabilities within Xplane in order to build the expertise we need to move one of our full fledged airliner products into this simulation platform.

Our goal, ultimately, is to offer the NGX, 777 and 747-400V2 to Xplane customers so that users of the Xplane platform can take advantage of all the sophistication and detail a PMDG airliner has to offer. This has taken a bit more time than we had anticipated, but we are "darn close" now. (to quote the project lead...<cough>)

Unfortunately, not much that we didn't know already.

We know their initial offering will not be an Airliner.

"give us the opportunity to work with a broad range of capabilities within Xplane in order to build the expertise we need to move one of our full fledged airliner products into this simulation platform."

After nearly 3 years, we got an update that he DC6 is coming along nicely. Bit lost for words with that to be honest, but maybe just maybe you guys are right! Although I presume it would be available for FSX too? Orbx land is crying out for a DC6, I can't imagine buying another sim while waiting for Realair to release there latest ac to P3d which I bought since that was announced.

-Iain Watson-

Gents-

For those crying/complaining/whining that this update appears similar to the previous update- you may want to spend a few minutes comparing the this one to the previous update:

We removed a significant amount of information from the update thread that is stale dated (related to licensing issues we were still investigating) and added firmer release timelines for the first product.

Both of these items are rather significant- and the remainder of the information did not change.  If I put out a minor upate with these changes elsewhere- you will b*%tch and complain that I didn't update this thread here...

Hence- it was updated.

I'm sorry if this was insufficient for you.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com