Sign in to follow this  
PC Pilot Dave

Are people making the switch to FSX Steam?

That was the TERRAIN.DLL problem, which is still present in the current release (build 62608), but is certainly fixed in the Beta 62610 (no longer available) and 62611 (not available). The next Beta (62612) is imminent and that has even more fixes.

If you don't want to run with Beta releases then you'd be best off waiting for the next regular release.

Pete

Pete, thanks very much. Just what I needed to know. Too bad those betas aren't available anymore.

James

80% off  sale on right now. It's a good time to buy even if you are going to keep it in the closet for a little while.

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

The PMDG aircraft work beautifully in the current release but are plagued with the TERRAIN.DLL problem on long flights.  It has been reportedd that the latest Beta of FSX-SE that was released corrected that but broke the PMDG aircraft.  This will have to be addressed by PMDG after the final release of the new "non Beta" version. Last time it took several weeks for them to make a patch.  

It is my understanding that there is no way to opt-out of the new version of SE when it is released...it downloads and installs automatically.  So, if you planning on long haul flights with PMDG aircraft be aware.

Steve Canham

For €5.00 what's to lose?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

For €5.00 what's to lose?

The ability to "Direct Connect" to servers in Multi-Player or to another IP for

Multi-Player over a LAN.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

The ability to "Direct Connect" to servers in Multi-Player or to another IP for

Multi-Player over a LAN.

Paul

OK maybe,but I never used those features anyway.I spent more money on one beer. :ireland-flag:

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I have run both on the same OS with exactly the same Orbx global, FlyTampa KMDW, and Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X installed along with ActiveSky Next for weather. The Steam edition consistently gets better performance...FPS...less crashy...etc.

I'm not sure why some people seem bitter about this. Isn't this a good thing? Same exact simple configuration and I'd estimate the Steam edition runs at least 15-20% better.

EDIT: Also, it was 5 bucks. It baffles me to how someone can be so hardcore as to actually feel threatened by this as some in this and other threads are. 

I have run both on the same OS with exactly the same Orbx global, FlyTampa KMDW, and Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X installed along with ActiveSky Next for weather. The Steam edition consistently gets better performance...FPS...less crashy...etc.

Have you tried the OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 tweak in the SIM section of the FSX.CFG file? People are reporting huge gains with that for both FSX and P3D, (especially though for P3D) I see a little boost, but I have a weak system to begin with (3Ghz C2D).

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Have you tried the OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1 tweak in the SIM section of the FSX.CFG file? People are reporting huge gains with that for both FSX and P3D, (especially though for P3D) I see a little boost, but I have a weak system to begin with (3Ghz C2D).

Isn't that tweak for Prepar3d only?

Isn't this a good thing?

For many, of course it is!!!

But why are you concerned about how I won't spend my time or money?

Hopped onto FSX SE last night, having nuked all the registry stuff from the original FSX install. All went well until I installed ASN after Ezdok. A bit of detective work revealed the Ezdok XML entry had been scrambled. A bit of reformatting the XML entry and it worked. All my installs seem to have worked, although no noticeable increase in performance yet.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

For many, of course it is!!!

But why are you concerned about how I won't spend my time or money?

I'm sure many of us could ask the same of you...

Back on topic, though: I made the switch early and haven't regretted it. I am primarily an FS9 user, but I've bought a few FSX addons and fly in FSX once in a while. For me, the Steam edition performs much better... double the FPS, fewer stutters, etc.

I also convert FSX scenery to FS9 on occasion. The Steam edition object libraries are (slightly) expanded and (slightly) bug fixed. There's no reason to have noticed this unless you're too familiar with them like I am, but that was a nice bonus for me.

A few FSX SE questions.

Can you purchase FSX SE but not download it right away?

Can you download it, install it, uninstall it, reinstall it without paying additional?

Do you get all additional updates for free?

Thanks

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

A few FSX SE questions.

Can you purchase FSX SE but not download it right away?

Can you download it, install it, uninstall it, reinstall it without paying additional?

Do you get all additional updates for free?

Thanks

Yes, yes, and finally... yes!

Moreover, you can install it on as many computers as you wish. Of course you can only play it on one computer at a time...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator