Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Best ATC Software for P3D 2.5

I figured out what the problem was with FS 2 Crew and My MJQ 400, and it was in the Windows speech recognition settings. In the FS 2 Crew there is a Cockpit Voice recorder log and I pulled it up and followed the script and I could see where I would say one thing, and the log would show another word, for instance I would say "on" and the log would show that I said "arm" instead. So the flow would stop at that point, because it didn't get the correct response. All I had to do was go into windows voice recognition and add  these problem words, and there were several, to the custom  dictionary. There are instructions on how to do this in the FAQs for FS 2 Crew manual. When you add the word in the dictionary it gives you the chance to record each word, so it gets an exact match of the word to your voice. Now I can say "arm" and "on" rapidly and it nails it every time.   

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Pro ATC - This seems to be a favorite among those who prefer button pushing ATC.

Hello Brian, when you say button pressing, does that mean you don't need a mic to respond, you can just assign a key board button for each response? That would suit me much better.

Or have I got that completely wrong

VATSIM is the way to go for sure.  Canned ATC is completely unconvincing and emersion breaking.

VATSIM is the way to go for sure.  Canned ATC is completely unconvincing and emersion breaking.

Tried Vatsim for years. Finally gave up on it for  a couple of  reasons:

1. I am flying right now using Pro ATC ( 10:30 am EST) . If I needed a Vatsim controller, I would have to search far and wide to find one at this hour, and probably nowhere near where I am currently flying, Seattle to Edmonton. 

2. Some controllers were OK, some not, couldn't deal with the inconsistency and I am a licensed pilot. 

3. Didn't like having to schedule my flight sim flying around Vatsim controller availability. 

I want to fly now, I start Pro ATC, load up a flight plan created by that program using Sids and Stars, and off I go. No hassles. 

What is totally unconvincing and unrealistic for me is to take off from an airport like JFK or Miami INTL during the day, and not be able to talk to any controller, Clearance DEL, Ground, Tower, Departure , Arrival, Center.  Would not happen in real life, I am afraid. I get all that with Pro ATC plus some very realistic air chatter, 24/7 or whenever I want to fly. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Tried Vatsim for years. Finally gave up on it for  a couple of  reasons:

1. I am flying right now using Pro ATC ( 10:30 am EST) . If I needed a Vatsim controller, I would have to search far and wide to find one at this hour, and probably nowhere near where I am currently flying, Seattle to Edmonton. 

2. Some controllers were OK, some not, couldn't deal with the inconsistency and I am a licensed pilot. 

3. Didn't like having to schedule my flight sim flying around Vatsim controller availability. 

I want to fly now, I start Pro ATC, load up a flight plan created by that program using Sids and Stars, and off I go. No hassles. 

What is totally unconvincing and unrealistic for me is to take off from an airport like JFK or Miami INTL during the day, and not be able to talk to any controller, Clearance DEL, Ground, Tower, Departure , Arrival, Center.  Would not happen in real life, I am afraid. I get all that with Pro ATC plus some very realistic air chatter, 24/7 or whenever I want to fly. 

Fair enough.  If i'm in the mood for ATC I pick a departure point where ATC is staffing.  Most of the time it's from some place I do want to fly from/to for which I have addon software.   My experience of VATSIM has been quite positive.... seems to have evolved over time.  The controllers I have had have been professional and had I've had  no experience with juvenile behavior - from either pilots or atc.  

Hey does ProATC help with GA flights too? or is it only tailored for heavies?

I'll tell what my first hand experience with it is. Yes, it will allow you to import flight plans for GA operation, but if any of the airports are not present in the AIRAC, ProATC/X isn't going to work correctly. In those cases, you just fall back to the default ATC which is easy to do, since Pro ATC/X is a standalone app. Someone who's more knowledgeable then me with the nuances of ProATC/X might have a different view, though.

I originally bought RC4 awhile back, but I had too many problems getting it to work consistently with P3d 2.5 under Win 8.1. Others have had success with RC4 and P3d, so it must be something quirky about my setup that RC4 doesn't like. ProATC/X is still in active development and that's a must if one is running P3d.

I'll tell what my first hand experience with it is. Yes, it will allow you to import flight plans for GA operation, but if any of the airports are not present in the AIRAC, ProATC/X isn't going to work correctly. In those cases, you just fall back to the default ATC which is easy to do, since Pro ATC/X is a standalone app. Someone who's more knowledgeable then me with the nuances of ProATC/X might have a different view, though.

I originally bought RC4 awhile back, but I had too many problems getting it to work consistently with P3d 2.5 under Win 8.1. Others have had success with RC4 and P3d, so it must be something quirky about my setup that RC4 doesn't like. ProATC/X is still in active development and that's a must if one is running P3d.

Thanks for the excellent info, Jay

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Forgot to ask one important question though. Does ProATC has an option to save ATC situation in the middle of the flight and "continue" it in conjunction with a certain previously saved flight. Radar Contact has this possibility.

Thanks

In principle it does have this option. Save flight situation works perfect with PMDG 737. With MJC DQ400 it is problematic - Sometimes it works somtimes PATC/P3D crashes when loading a flight situation with this a/c

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Have been using PRO ATC for 2 weeks and happy as never before. Really missing the vectoring as RC4 has, but other than that is a huge step forward. 

Thanks Jay and G-YMML1, excellent info for PRO-ATC for P3D 2.5

I am also thinking about purchasing ProATC/X and only fly small GA aircraft (although I'm considering adding something larger in the near future, like the Majestic MJC8 Q400.  So Jay, your answer was very helpful to me as well . . . thank you for posting that. I do however have a couple of additional questions:

Is there a listing of the default P3D airports that are not present in the AIRAC?  

Do you recommend installing the FSX/P3D Navaids update?

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I am also thinking about purchasing ProATC/X and only fly small GA aircraft (although I'm considering adding something larger in the near future, like the Majestic MJC8 Q400.  So Jay, your answer was very helpful to me as well . . . thank you for posting that. I do however have a couple of additional questions:

Is there a listing of the default P3D airports that are not present in the AIRAC?  

Do you recommend installing the FSX/P3D Navaids update?

I updated the Navaids in both Pro ATC and the FMC in the Majestic Q400 to the latest version as soon as I got Pro ATC. Cost around $6 for the upgrade files and installed easily.  

I updated the Navaids in both Pro ATC and the FMC in the Majestic Q400 to the latest version as soon as I got Pro ATC. Cost around $6 for the upgrade files and installed easily.  

Thanks for the information on the Navaids, that was very helpful.

But I'm still wondering what (or what percentage) of the airports are not present in the AIRAC (assuming that I purchase the updates for the Navaids)?  This would be the deciding factor for me.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Hello Brian, when you say button pressing, does that mean you don't need a mic to respond, you can just assign a key board button for each response? That would suit me much better.

Or have I got that completely wrong

Hi Elaine,

No microphone required for Pro ATC. It is menu driven. Menu not complex.