Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Do you use HDR in X-Plane? Poll

Do you use HDR in X-Plane?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use HDR in X-Plane?

• Yes
    • No

Do you use HDR in X-Plane? A simple poll to survey X-Planers usage of HDR.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

With the older card i didnt but with the newer card i do,   i feel it brightens up the Sim a bit 

It used to be a true show stopper for me, but now it's perfectly doable, and I get 30+ fps ( I have set vSync to On ), probably due to the new graphics board because I don't know if from my last install and the one I recently did there were any updates to the graphics engine code.

But honestly, it is not mandatory at all for me, and the difference I get, specially if not flying at night, is minimal for my use of the simulator. I could perfectly live without it for a better overall performance.

Will it make a difference when I use your suggested modifications to the weather rendering ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I don't as I fly on the laptop. It makes a difference at certain times of the day. Night / dawn / dusk can live without HDR.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Will it make a difference when I use your suggested modifications to the weather rendering ?

Nice clouds can be produced either with HDR on or off. Actually at the moment I can get better results with HDR off, but it's just because without HDR, one has just to modify the skycolors textures (what I've been doing). Instead, with HDR on, most (but not all) color and light parameters in the textures are not used, so it's necessary to modify art controls to change light, hue, etc.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Absolutely. Can't live without the atmospheric scattering and light effects now.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I do. The Jardesign A320 requires you to have it enabled for the cockpit lighting to work correctly.

NAX669.png

What are your specs, though? HDR works well on my laptop...

Toshiba Satellite L755

It's an i5 2430m with 8 GB RAM and a 1GB dedicated Nvidia GT525m.  I downloock the CPU to 1.6 Ghz to avoid the CPU temps from going above 90 deg, but I got a small exhaust fan and after opening up the keyboard (still connected) i keep the fan over it so the wind is blowing straight down on the CPU / GPU area and I can then clock it to full turbo and not reach 100 deg.

But my GPU is a limitation. 

I do use HDR,But I need to turn down other settings to make it FPS friendly.

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

But my GPU is a limitation.

Ah, yeah. I used to have that GPU and X-Plane was a slideshow on that. My 860M feels much better. You considering an upgrade?

Ah, yeah. I used to have that GPU and X-Plane was a slideshow on that. My 860M feels much better. You considering an upgrade?

I also have a Lenovo Flex 2 which is a 4th gen i5 and a 2 GB GT820m with only 4GB RAM but on this laptop I can use HDR quite well. It's almost a 20-30 % difference from the Toshiba.

On the Toshiba without mountains from HD + UHD it flies better without HDR. Clouds are still good but when I am surrounded by them then it's almost a slide show.

I was planning on an eGPU. If not that than I will go for a good desktop just for Xplane.

What I have seen is that Xplane works much better with more VRAM.

The moment I am into the mountains with HD + UHD the fps will drop.

What laptop model and specs do you have ?

Back to air crash investigations.

Just blew both the engines during a t/o from KDFW in the default 747.  Yikes that wing flutter looks so sad in Xplane. Maybe it can be better in payware aircrafts.

I use it because the airport night lighting requires it. Without it airports at night are much too dark.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Bleah. I tend to avoid it. It costs too many frames to do it with enough anti aliasing so the whole sim doesn't look blurry and shimmery. But then, I've always hated deferred rendering.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5