Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Effect of Anti-virus programs?

What exactly can the effect be on FSX with various anti-virus programs.  Years ago, I discovered that Norton AV was affecting my FSX performance.  NOW, I use ESET NOD 32 as my program.   I heard that with the new Windows 10, the Windows Defender program is "sufficient" for all possible virus types.  I don't know if I really believe that.

During many flights, FSX encounters a problem and has to shut down (that's the message).  Could this be attributable to an AV program doing its thing behind the scenes  i.e. updating the virus database?  Finally, would a simple program like Windows Essentials be all that is necessary, and perhaps be less intrusive in the background? 

I'm curious about this and would like to hear what other forum members feel about AV programs and possible FSX performance violations.

Stan

i got my avg  not  to scan  my fsx   drive(using  mse)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

As a dev, we highly recommend that you do not use any AV during download and or install of our products as some AV's detect a false positive.  This sometimes happens even after install (norton and kapersky) has been done so, yes, getting your AV to not scan the FSX directory is a smart move.

We have asked multiple AV vendors for an "exemption" but they have never responded.  Not even once.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

I always add the Software installer exe to my Exclusions Zone on my BitDefender.  When i have my Software installed i add the entire folder into my Exclusions Zone.  

Aslo i have added my whole P3D folder into my Exclusions

This has payed off well for me 

I have had no problems running Eset and plan to keep doing so. I do not trust Microsoft to completely protect my computer. Many years of experience has taught me not to.

Bill W

For the last year or so, I've had no AV software on my main (FS) PC!!! I did this purely as an experiment, knowing the risk involved, and making sure I ALWAYS had more backups than usual. Finally, a few weeks ago the PC started acting very strange, and after making various checks, I found malware and some stuff i couldn't identify. I then discovered that my brother had used this PC in my absence, and a quick look at the browsing history brought up some VERY dubious sites - some extremely explicit. I'm certain that's the only time the PC suffered in any way from having no AV.

It's Windows7(64), with Defender and UAC completely disabled. Method of connection is via a router.

I'm sorely tempted to leave it like this, but I doubt I will.

I use Bitdefender Internet Security. It's consistently rated in the top three in antivirus tests and has a negligible system impact. It goes into an automatic game mode when running FSX and seems to have no effect on FPS. Highly recommended!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Interesting.  So, is there an AV program that is the absolute best with FSX?

depends  on who  you listen too :wink:

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I use Avast at it has a silent/gaming mode, which I use.

I can not see a performance difference in FSX whether I am running Avast or not.

I am now on Windows 10 for FSX.

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

I use Avast at it has a silent/gaming mode, which I use.

I can not see a performance difference in FSX whether I am running Avast or not.

I am now on Windows 10 for FSX.

I too use Avast Free

Never had any issues with P3D, and now having just re-installed FSX-SE, in Windows 10, still no performance degradation. I just let it run in the background.

Most AV products by default scan files when they are read, written, changed or executed and good AV products should let you change those settings for individual files, folders or drives via an exclusion option.

Like others I use Avast free and have set various exclusions, including the FSX folder. I also have Avast set to silent/gaming mode and notify me when updates are available which means it doesn't automatically download updates and the silent setting means it doesn't notify me about updates.

If you set updates to notify you but don't set Avast to silent mode it will pop up a message to tell you updates are available so the silent mode just turns off that pop-up.

Hi,

I am with Dougal,For well over a year now I have not run my AV program at all.In the UK

I am the only user of this machine and whilst I use it also for general items I have never come across any problems,(Touch wood).

I am using Win 10 and turn off real time scanning at the start of each FS session too.