Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

In an apparent move to save money, DTG's Cherokee is using parts with only one side. This can be clearly seen (pun intended) by the fact that the engine cowl only has an outside skin.

See the sky through the top cowl? :lol:

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In an apparent move to save money, DTG's Cherokee is using parts with only one side. This can be clearly seen (pun intended) by the fact that the engine cowl only has an outside skin.

See the sky through the top cowl? :lol:

Maybe its designed to save fps?

I'm no expert but my understanding was that the more of the model there was to display, the more computing power is required

(leading to aircraft in FSX having bits missing if you use EzDok to view them from unusual angles).

edit:  Just realised that you may not have meant it literally, in which case oops, sorry  :Tounge:

---

Some people have been commenting on the sky colours being unnaturally vibrant.

It reminds me of the comparison shots between OrbX and photo VFR scenery renditions of the UK.

OrbX was perhaps brighter and more vibrant than the photo scenery but it looked the nicer for it.

I quite like the sky colours.

• Upvote 1

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

The problem with the sky colours at present is they're a stylised view of reality with cyan and purple skies.

Starting from realistic hues then giving users the option of adding their own colour palletes is ok, but if you start from unrealistic and don't let anyone change them you're asking for trouble.

I'm hoping this is currently a mathematical output rather than an artists view, in which case the maths just has to counter for atmospheric turquoise dispersion and violet absorption and it'll be there.

If we're up against an artists ideal, then we might be stuck with it.

The problem with the sky colours at present is they're a stylised view of reality with cyan and purple skies.

Starting from realistic hues then giving users the option of adding their own colour palletes is ok, but if you start from unrealistic and don't let anyone change them you're asking for trouble.

I'm hoping this is currently a mathematical output rather than an artists view, in which case the maths just has to counter for atmospheric turquoise dispersion and violet absorption and it'll be there.

If we're up against an artists ideal, then we might be stuck with it.

Yeah, that's my concern too. Not so much for Flight School, but for the later full simulator if they're establishing a baseline "look" for a DTG branded flight simulator. Which is puzzling, when their train sims do have nice-looking, realistic skies.

On the other hand, the plane looks fine, lighting and color-wise.  :smile:

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Train Simulator (Dovetail's other major product other than FSX) isn't locked down, its easy to add 3rd party add-ons either bought outside of Steam or downloaded as freeware.

You don't get the whole world with Train Simulator out of the box but train simulators are different to flight simulators.

Actually that may have been different, had DTG also obtained the code for Microsoft Train Simulator 2 when they got FSX. MSTS2 which was based on the FSX engine also, was to be a global train sim. It would include a base set of trackage (which was said to be derived from pretty accurate data) for whole continents filled in with autogen scenery. You would be able to replace/enhance scenery, the same way as we do with FSX (freeware or payware) with more detail and accuracy and keep continuity. This would allow the user for the first time in a train sim to run the train cross countries. Ultimately Aces plan was to tie it in to FSX at least in multiplayer mode so users can choose to fly or ride in the same session.. It was looking really good, unfortunately when MS pulled the plug on Aces that was it. I think it could have been a superior sim to the DTG's TS20xx series, had they completed it. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Thanks tf51d, that's interesting to know.

I don't play Train Simulator very often but I own it and although add-ons must be a large part of Dovetail's income for Train Simulator, they don't (from my understanding) try to stop people adding their own addons, which is nice I think.

Tony Holmes

Re: DVNT28 DCS World Comparisons

Just wanted to comment on DVNT28 post in the Ask Dovetail thread.

Like Rimshot the tone of DVNT28 is not particularly clever and there isn't any value in pushing that stuff to Martin or DTG as I believe they get it already, I really do.

However I have always felt that Microsoft Flight Simulator has been behind the curve when it comes to graphic fidelity and I strongly believe that the immersive qualities of having a realistic looking simulation can only enhance the simulation experience. For me this means including first and foremost the correct colours - TLight is spot on here, nothing can kill immersion quicker than feeling you're looking at a cartoon. But I also see no reason why the effects and quality of a DCS World 2 "Map" can't be included in a Worldly flight simulator over time.

By effects and quality I'm really talking about the capabilities of the graphics engine and quality of the existing assets to make use of that engine. That does not mean however that you have more detail as that would require huge amounts of resources to create more content. But surely the existing content could be enhanced with DCS World 2.0 effects - that surely is possible.

I'm going to caveat this though. DCS World is a great example of why we shouldn't expect Dovetail to produce a high fidelity graphical simulation, at least not soon anyway. DCS World 2.0 if far from complete - creating the fidelity with just two relatively small maps has taken a very long time and there are a lot of features like weather, assets and effects which aren’t even close to being completed.

From the ground up, then maybe the graphic and simulation fidelity can be incorporated, but that’s a different proposition entirely and something Next Generation iNTERACTiVE Software are going to find out when they bring their product to market sometime in the next decade. Dovetail have taken a sensible approach - we shouldn't expect photo real scenery from day 1 or day 2 but if you saw the PC Pilot interview with Stephen Hood, then graphic fidelity and the immersive qualities this brings is at the forefront of Dovetails plans and given time will be something we can all enjoy.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Upvote 1

Just to say Dave that I always found SSX Tricky to be very immersive, and that had cartoon graphics  :wink:

Tony Holmes

However I have always felt that Microsoft Flight Simulator has been behind the curve when it comes to graphic fidelity and I strongly believe that the immersive qualities of having a realistic looking simulation can only enhance the simulation experience. For me this means including first and foremost the correct colours - TLight is spot on here, nothing can kill immersion quicker than feeling you're looking at a cartoon. But I also see no reason why the effects and quality of a DCS World 2 "Map" can't be included in a Worldly flight simulator over time.

By effects and quality I'm really talking about the capabilities of the graphics engine and quality of the existing assets to make use of that engine. That does not mean however that you have more detail as that would require huge amounts of resources to create more content. But surely the existing content could be enhanced with DCS World 2.0 effects - that surely is possible.

Just wait till REX gets ahold of the sim.  :wink:

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Very good points by Dave ( aka dtrjones ), although I can also understand DVNT28's concerns and wants, which, IMHO, aren't necessarily meant to be bashing.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

problem with dtg is that they love to lockup their products; flight school is not exception.

i would pay100 rather than 15  to have the possibility to build and add to it.

i will not buy any locked up or dlc dependant game

DTG didn't hide the fact the Flightschool will not allow 3rd party add-ons. It's only a simple flightschool program. The big sim will come end of year.

Michael Lagow
Madness Software

Missing news/pictures/videos/infos about the simulators.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

Has this excellent podcast been mentioned above somewhere?

FSElite interviews Stephen Hood. One hour long.

https://soundcloud.com/fselite/fselite-ep16-dovetail-games-and-flight-school

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

DTG didn't hide the fact the Flightschool will not allow 3rd party add-ons. It's only a simple flightschool program. The big sim will come end of year.

Yes agree on that;

why lock it up ???

It is a game - and gaming mean having fun !! part of the fun is also to be able to mod a game !!