Sign in to follow this  
CajunRon

Cost to convert to Prepar3d - An important consideration

After researching the benefits of Prepar3d I decided to purchase and convert.  In the research I did do, there were discussions about how well add-ons performed etc and most indications were that the add-ons performed well but for whatever reason, in all of the reviews I read, I never caught the point that for a growing number of add-ons the publishers are making the business decision to require a complete repurchase of their product to use in Prepar3d.  Here's the breakdown for the products I use the most:

PMDG NXG 737 - $89.99

PMDG 777 -       $134.99

A2A Cessna 182 Skylane - $49.99

Flight 1 FTN 750    $ 64.95

Real Air Turbine Duke - $0.00 (no need to repurchase for use in Prepar3d)

Prepar3D - $59.95

So the total cost for me to convert and retain the same capabilities as I currently have in FSX is $399.87.  I really like Prepar3D but now that I am retired and on a fixed income budget this is much to rich for my blood so I will not be converting after all.  To their credit, Lockheed Martin has a 60 day refund policy and I am in the process of requesting a refund on my purchased Prepar3D.

I think this is a critical consideration that has been lost in many of the conversations and discussions about converting to Prepar3D so I offer it here for those considering converting.

• Upvote 3

Ronnie Pertuit

No one forces you to buy those products all at once. The sum total remains as you calculated, but where is the problem in stretching this over half a year?

It would have cost you even more if you had taken the more appropriate Pro license as an example. But then again, it's nothing new. Going from FS9 to FSX also came at a cost, as did all previous versions. Perhaps the cost was less because some developers (like PMDG) are asking more and more for their products but it was ever free to progress or stay up to date in the flight sim world. Things will be even worse with the upcoming Dovetail sim, I am sure.

But indeed, as Karsten posted, no one is forcing you to buy all those addons at once. Or ever, I might add. Some people decide to skip products of certain developers or some only, very wisely, only buy the ones they actually use or really, really like. You can't always have everything. Unlike some people seem to think. Which btw isn't directed at the OP who clearly is wise enough to draw a line somewhere.

Suggest buying P3d, and next time you're buying an add on choose the p3d version. That means slowly over time you'll transition. You don't need to give up fsx when you buy p3d - you can still use your ngx etc with that.

P3d is just going to keep improving - are you really going to stay with fsx forever?

• Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Vendors who support multiple sims with a single product/installer earn preferential consideration from this simmer.

• Upvote 7

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Suggest buying P3d, and next time you're buying an add on choose the p3d version. That means slowly over time you'll transition. You don't need to give up fsx when you buy p3d - you can still use your ngx etc with that.

I think this is sound advice!  I'm a long time FSX guy and have the same dilemma with the want to move on to Prepar3D but the process and the $$$ hit is causing me to hesitate.  Instead, I'm going to purchase another SD (prices keep dropping) for Prepar3D and slowly purchase add-ons that are dual compatible.  Obviously, not all will be but by having both sims I can still play FSX when I want to dig deep into the hangar.  In the end, it seems pretty smart to move over to Prepar as FSX is an orphan at this point.  Indeed, lots of people will feed him but he still doesn't have a home :Shame On You:  Things aren't going to turn out well for him...

So the total cost for me to convert and retain the same capabilities as I currently have in FSX is $399.87. I really like Prepar3D but now that I am retired and on a fixed income budget this is much to rich for my blood so I will not be converting after all. To their credit, Lockheed Martin has a 60 day refund policy and I am in the process of requesting a refund on my purchased Prepar3D.

I think this is a critical consideration that has been lost in many of the conversations and discussions about converting to Prepar3D so I offer it here for those considering converting.

Yeah, that's true.  Devs doing that are forcing people to stay on older platforms...which, while they see it as an opportunity, also costs them and other devs more money for supporting more people on the old platform...multiple installers, multiple versions of their product.  Nothing we can much do about it.

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Well, you certainly don't need 4 planes (+ all the versions in the PMDG pack) out of the gate. Converting doesn't have to happen all at once. Buy a P3D license, perhaps pick up a plane. Play it enjoy it, wait until next pay day. Then in a few months, you'll be on the P3D wagon.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Through out the Year, Our Webshops, have sales, Mostly on Holidays, Be Patient and And Smart, I Love to Save My Allowance, then at Christmas time Go "StrippedApeCrazy" and Buy All the goodies that I have Been Slavering over all Year Long !!, I really Loaded up this Year !! - Johnman B)

Yes, the costs of upgrading can be a pain, but look at it as the cost of progress! I just wouldn't be able to get my head around flying a sim like fsx anymore, knowing that there is an evolving platform like p3d available. But that's just me, and I guess budget concerns must come first in certain circumstances. If fsx still serves you well, then stick with it!

My expenses to switch to P3D were considerably lower. I decided to abandon all PMDG and FlightsimLab planes that I used in FSX, even though they used to be among my favourite planes. I'm just not willing to pay twice for the same set of bytes. I only re-purchased the A2A C172 when it was on sale. With this policy, you can reduce the cost of your example from $399.87 to a much more friendly $155. 

Peter

My expenses to switch to P3D were considerably lower. I decided to abandon all PMDG and FlightsimLab planes that I used in FSX, even though they used to be among my favourite planes. I'm just not willing to pay twice for the same set of bytes. I only re-purchased the A2A C172 when it was on sale. With this policy, you can reduce the cost of your example from $399.87 to a much more friendly $155.

Peter

I followed a similar path...got rid of the J41 and 737.  I bought the 777 later but I'm pretty much of the same mind about airplanes I had.  I'm not going to pay the full price and certainly not more for something I had. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

You can always keep your PMDG planes in FSX and use them there and not buy them for P3D.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Yes, I have found this as well.  Which is why I am currently NOT buying any products that require a separate P3D purchase.  I just don't have that kind of money.  My P3D v3.3 is just a nice clean install with all my addons that allow to be ported without buying new product licenses.

My list of real life needs is fairly high and I can just use my FSX.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3