Sign in to follow this  
Scramjet333

Terrible customer service from X-Aviation

This thread reminded me of one of the reasons why I stopped buying add-ons. Thanks for the reminder. :smile:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

- The attitude shown by the vendor is terse and perhaps unnecessarily rude in the quoted passage, and I have seen other examples on the X-Plane forums that do perhaps suggest that Cameron is a little on the hot headed side.

Quotes are exactly that "Snippets" of a conversation.   Cameron is a straight talking Guy,  You ask him a straight question and he will give you a straight answer,  If you continually challenge his business reason or thinking :excl:    Well, you will also get a straight answer,   So, have your Ducks in a row for that one.......... :smile:

• Upvote 3

I have always found these forums a place where friends can exchange ideas, and all of us have benefitted. But to accuse a developer of being arrogant "like a large corporation" (my words) - the very developer that bends over backwards to help people (in my experience and in reading their forums)..... On a matter that results from this user not installing the product as recommended - a product that he has only purchased a license to use, not the product itself... Then complains why it won't work. I have been around here since Tom (bless his soul) first started an e-mail list in 1995, but have never seen anything quite like this. To the user: You are a young, I am at the other end of the spectrum (65), and all I can say is that you have a lot of life and learning to do yet. ....

• Upvote 4

Okay, a couple of observations as an X-Aviation customer.

Cameron can get a little tightly wound sometimes, but it's usually at the end of a long chain of customer conversation where the customer isn't accepting the way the product is designed, or the company's decision to use DRM. This is exacerbated by the fact that many X-Plane payware developers don't use DRM, which leads to expectations that all companies should act that way.

If that's what you expect, then I think you're going to be increasingly disappointed as X-Plane grows, and more companies like PMDG start supporting it. The days of no DRM and being able to freely restructure your directories may be ending. At least for some payware.

Of course, you could always just limit yourself to free aircraft and scenery, or support the developers who don't use DRM. Your choice, but you'll be giving up on some of the best aircraft models available. 

The reason I'm mentioning DRM is that I think it may be directly related to the need for a separate directory. X-Aviation uses a method that doesn't like the model or the directory being touched. I remember running into a problem once, when I tried to edit something on the LES-DC3 and it broke the DRM, I had to re-install it. It's something I choose to put up with, in return for use of that particular model.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The OP should learn to " Go with the flow".... :wink: 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hypothetically speaking, could Laminar restrict all plugins to go into the /Resources/plugins folder, to ease updating and have only one instance of each plugin running? I myself have wondered why I had five instances of GroundTraffic running. 

They could, at least in X-Plane 11 they could do it. But it is unlikely. The distributed approach has its own advantages. The plug-in is always the correct version, that fits to the product. If you have a global plug-in and there is a new version there is always the risk that a new feature breaks an old behaviour that an older product depends on.

A global plug-in has to be maintained very well, otherwise it would become a huge problem in the long run.

I have always found Cameron to be prompt and responsive to my questions.  He is not a big conversationalist, but always direct and to the point.

John

• Upvote 1

John Wingold

Having gone through these pages, giving out thumbs up to both sides of the debate (valid points), I'm happy that things seem to have worked out. Ultimately, it would be a shame if someone were to set aside the wonderful IXEG 737 over something trivial.

• Upvote 1

What a ridiculous complaint. Is it really that much of a big deal? Really?? There is also such a thing as a terrible customer! :Devil:

• Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

You want to get a bloody grip scramjet, quite unbelievable, these guys ixeg have come up with this aircraft after 6 years, it is the best aircraft by far on any platform and your ranting on about this, bloodyhell lad, I tell you, get a bloody grip. Unbelievable.

Regards

Paul EGCC

• Upvote 1

Regards

Paul EGCC

Closed this topic before it gets out of hand

• Upvote 4