Sign in to follow this  
DrumsArt

A2A L049 Connie Released!

Just Flight has a DC-6 but nothing like an A2A production. The cockpit and external model looks good. I just want to agree with all of the above and have been having a blast with my Connie. Shoot, even the studying part has been enjoyable. Really pulled me away from my glass PMDG jets.

Vic green

It's funny. I was all excited about the Connie but after watching a few videos, it doesn't look like they added any extra features that the B377 doesn't already have.

I was hoping for some sort of detailed inspection process coupled with maintenance and interactive repair additions.

The A2A Connie is my favorite propliner right now of any sim, but I'm confident to say that when the PMDG DC-6 is released some day in FSX/P3D, will be a gem knowing how good it is in X-Plane, perhaps even better than the Connie, how knows.

Alexander Colka

Hold on...  I realize this is not the Screenshot forum but a thread about the just released A2A Lockheed Constellation, THE most beautiful, gracious looking airliner ever,  quintessential "Queen of the Skies", without any screenshots ??..... ( and certainly because the A2A L-049 model lives up to these superlatives to great extend)

May i correct that by presenting a few ?

a2aconnie1.jpg

a2aconnie2.jpg

a2aconnie3.jpg

a2aconnie4.jpg

a2aconnie5.jpg

a2aconnie6.jpg

a2aconnie7.jpg

a2aconnie8.jpg

Ahh.... that feels better.. :smile:

cheers,

jan

• Upvote 2

Jan

Ahh.... that feels better..

I know exactly how you feel! She's an absolute beauty in any colour scheme!

Bill

Really, a GPS unit for Connie? A2A made us a perfect chance to learn aviation history. I rejected their Texan because of a GPS unit. There is someone for every train...

You're not forced to used the GPS.  It's a user option.  You can turn it off (at which point the GPS and its housing disappear from the panel) and fly with original equipment - two VOR and two ADF receviers displayed through a dual RMI display, an OBI that also provides a glideslope when tuned to an ILS, and a nice, balky Sperry autopilot.  So you can learn aviation history to your heart's content.

Same is true of the Texan, by the way - one click and the GPS is gone.

FYI, many restored aircraft operating in modern airspace are equipped with GPS units, and since FSX/P3D are modern airspace simulations, it's realistic to operate that way, too.

But if you're offended by the mere possibility of flying it with a GPS, then by all means, avoid it.  Avoid the PMDG DC-6, since that has a GPS, too.  And refuse to visit Fifi or Tabitha May or the Breitling Super Constellation on the airshow circuit...

Look out, Jan!  The Avsim police will be after you now.  The charge: posting screenshots in a non-screenshot-authorized zone...

• Upvote 2

Ah, Alan, they are firing at me!  

If the Avsim police has one drop of aviationitis left in its blood i'm sure it will be enough for me to be excused.

Besides, if i get banned i know it would be for a holy cause. 

Cheers,

Jan

• Upvote 1

Jan

FYI, many restored aircraft operating in modern airspace are equipped with GPS units, and since FSX/P3D are modern airspace simulations, it's realistic to operate that way, too.

This this this... all day long.  Every large "old" plane I've been in has some sort of GPS.  By the way, the in the Texan you can opt not to have a GPS, so the guy who refused to buy the Texan (not you alan), can buy it in peace.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'd like a C208 and supercargomaster, a Beech99 or B1900C/D and a freighter variant of the C model for bush flying, and other larger aircraft done in A2A perfect fashion.

Lovely shots Jan.  I'm very tempted to get the Connie, if only for the KLM livery.  Really nice.

Anyone have the GTN 650 for their Connie and if so, how do  you like it and does it integrate well?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I've been using the GTN 650 in the Connie when I opt for a GPS.  It integrates very well - fully functional and easy to read if you zoom in, or via the popup.  Because the display is smaller than the 750, some of the pages are arranged differently, and there isn't a complete soft keyboard - when you're typing in a flightplan, you have to keep selecting a range of 4-5 keys and then do your keyboard entry.  So a little extra work, but they're more alike than different.  Some people (those that are more data-driven than visual) prefer the 650.

The only disadvantage (if you consider it a disadvantage) of the 650 compared to the default GPS is that the GTN won't drive the FSX default autopilot - the "GPS" setting for the NAV/GPS switch is marked "INOP," so you can only set it to NAV.  That means, of course, that your options are to slave the default autopilot to VOR 1 or 2, or set it to Heading and use the Sperry autpilot gyro (always present in the instrument panel - the default AP is a popup) to set the heading.  In other words, the GTN won't follow the magenta line, but the FSX default autopilot will.  None of this matters if you decide to use the GTN with the Sperry autopilot, or just hand-fly.

The 650 looks good in its housing on top of the instrument panel in the VC.  It doesn't break immersion at all. 

FYI to all - am not trying to re-ignite a religious debate about what technology to use in the Connie, so let's not go there.  Just trying to account for how the GTN features work with the options that A2A has provided.  

Hope this helps.

Thanks Alan,,are you saying that the plane will not follow the GTN course you set on it?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

That's correct.  Autopilot won't follow the GPS course if you're using the GTN.  Your options are: 1) set default AP to "heading," or use the Sperry, and set the heading bug to match the GPS course; 2) set default AP to "nav," tune your nav radio (1 or 2) to a VOR, select Nav 1 or 2 using the switch on the instrument panel, and the default AP will track direct to your selected VOR.  Or you can dial in the course on the OBI, and it'll intercept the correct radial, assuming your intercept angle isn't too great.  Nothing in 2) applies if you're using the Sperry - all of that is with the default AP only.

So the question is, how important is it for you to have the AP track the magenta line?  If that's essential, then stick with the default GPS.  If not, the GTN will give you a lot more functionality (like descent calculations), but you'll have to do some hand-tuning or hand-flying along the way.  The course set on the GTN will be advisory only.

Thanks but I am confused Alan. The B-377 will follow the gtn 750 line so why cannot the Connie? 

By the way Alan would you have time to test my Connie cockpit I am working on? If so PM me your email and I will send it to you.

i-5vbvgq6-S.png