Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Jordan King: First impressions

Have to say, Jordan's depiction of the sim was much better than the official stream visuals.  I think, as a default sim, it looks amazing and shows alot of promise for when 3PDs get their hands on it.  Disappointed however to still see texture and terrain snapping.  But overall, more impressed than I though I would be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Have to say, Jordan's depiction of the sim was much better than the official stream visuals.  I think, as a default sim, it looks amazing and shows alot of promise for when 3PDs get their hands on it.  Disappointed however to still see texture and terrain snapping.  But overall, more impressed than I though I would be.

Same here, but the pursuit of FS perfection is infinite. Hey you got everything you asked for, now ask for more. That is the story of our industry.

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

1 minute ago, Sebjo89 said:

Guys, for the last time: that post was simply sarcastic. Yes, I have seen the FF annoucement and that was one of the reasons for my sarcasm. The X-Plane11 environment and user base are growing wildly, yet this simulator is still constantly attacked for allegedly "not supporting liners and study level aircraft". That's part of the historical negativity of this community, nothing new.
In other words: please don't take it literally.
Sorry for the OT.

• Upvote 2

But it was a good post barrel_owl, and it expressed what is the state of affairs ...

It's a bit confusing the state of affairs, at least for an uninstaller like me :-)

I tried XP11 demo again, and again I liked it for the smoothness, disliked the GUI ( preferred the old one, at least in as far as controller setup goes.. ), flew the default C172 which felt like a FBW F-35 instantly stopping it's roll rate as we return the yoke to neutral... liked the latest update of the Airfoilabs C172, but still think it goes no further than a good A2A ... Tried the helicopters - something wrong with the rotary wing in XP11 definitely... Look forward for the first helicopter to be released for Aerofly FS 2...

I do not have AEFS2 installed because it's huge! But I keep an eye, everyday on the news from that platform, which, for me, looks like the most promising in the civil flightsim genre...

But nothing can prove me wrong when I say IL.2 or DCS ( more IL.2 ) put any other sim low and bellow in all aspects of flight dynamics modelling for prop aircraft...

Now there's this nice-looking DTG FSW, nice ORBX scenery, nice looking skies, nice looking aircraft, closed weather, but that's not really a problem for me, provided it varies along a flight with a wider route, and provided there's room for AS-like add-ons in the future... But truth is - it's still good-old MSFS flight dynamics in the core :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

48 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Guys, for the last time: that post was simply sarcastic. Yes, I have seen the FF annoucement and that was one of the reasons for my sarcasm. The X-Plane11 environment and user base are growing wildly, yet this simulator is still constantly attacked for allegedly "not supporting liners and study level aircraft". That's part of the historical negativity of this community, nothing new.
In other words: please don't take it literally.
Sorry for the OT.

Aha, I see. :)  Sorry. 

• Upvote 1

Some of you just don't seem to understand this sim is early access, a work in progress, just like its competitors out there. Ofcourse it still lacks in certain areas, but so do Aerofly and P3D and XPlane. What the small DTG team has done to the FSX code in a short time is very impressive! I'm definitely giving them my support and feedback for them to build upon.

• Upvote 8

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

12 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Some of you just don't seem to understand this sim is early access, a work in progress, just like its competitors out there. Ofcourse it still lacks in certain areas, but so do Aerofly and P3D and XPlane. What the small DTG team has done to the FSX code in a short time is very impressive! I'm definitely giving them my support and feedback for them to build upon.

Absolutely agree Bert, and that's why I plan to buy & support it, just as I bought Aerofly FS 2 and still believe in it's bright future.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Negativity and bashing doesnt help to provide motivation for DTG.  The raindrops look pretty sweet and nice to finally see with an FSX background although not sure why they never put the wipers on to clear the windshield.  The core behind what we see visually is probably what stands out right now if you think about it. 64 bit that also finally knows what modern hardware is and taking advantage of it.  The lighting in reflections looks decent. The terrain and scenery overall is kinda meh, but im sure this is a big to do list. I say we work with them. They extended the invitation with early access beta in order to mold the sim as we see fit providing its a reasonable request.  Given that this video was DEFAULT, does P3D /FSX look like this with default? I think not even close.  They for sure have a ton of work to fix this up, but if enough 3PDs get on board to drive this, then its well on the way to becoming mainstream.  WX themes wont cut it. We need real live weather.  Enhancements to airports, and all the other goodies we are now used to. I fly airliners mostly so I dont see it becoming a mainstream till at least 12-18 months away but the very least we can support and cheer them on if they are really willing to make it work and listen to the community. 

• Upvote 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

What was very important in the live stream was that they said there was some very cool new functionality built into the code, but which had not yet been turned on - and won't be for the initial release.  I can't wait to see how it all develops and I think there will be some very cool developments once 3PD's start to develop.

I just hope the current PMDG impasse can be resolved.

49 minutes ago, HighTowers said:

The terrain and scenery overall is kinda meh, but im sure this is a big to do list.

I don't think so because the terrain and scenery is FTX Global. So when it comes to that this is it: it is one if the first things they scrapped from their to do list. FTX Global is regarded as the best global scenery addon for FSX and P3D so it won't get better than this unless another company comes up with something new. The main problem here imho is the landclass system which is outdated. If you want something better you need a truly new sim that is based on new, modern, up to date code.

1 hour ago, Rimshot said:

Some of you just don't seem to understand this sim is early access, a work in progress, just like its competitors out there. Ofcourse it still lacks in certain areas, but so do Aerofly and P3D and XPlane.

Since EVERY currently available flightsim out there is a work in progress, I do not fully understand what I don't seem to understand and what would happen if I would...? You either like a sim for what it offers at this moment or you don't. I happen to not like what I have seen so far from FSW. I do however like what I have with the sim I currently use (I won't mention the name of it on purpose because this is just an example and I don't want to start a sim vs sim discussion here). I can fully understand someone not liking my current sim at all, there are enough reasons to not like it, but I happen to like what it offers at this moment. Simple as that. Every sim lacks something and I am afraid every sim will keep on lacking things in the future. I can understand people liking FSW and I am sincerly happy that a new version of this sim will be released soon, all the better for the flight sim community, but that doesn't mean that I should like it if I only understood it is a work in progress. That has nothing to do with it.

2 hours ago, HighTowers said:

The raindrops look pretty sweet and nice to finally see with an FSX background although not sure why they never put the wipers on to clear the windshield. 

None of those planes have wipers.

8 minutes ago, bonchie said:

None of those planes have wipers.

Well, that clears that up... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

2 hours ago, J van E said:

Since EVERY currently available flightsim out there is a work in progress, I do not fully understand what I don't seem to understand and what would happen if I would...? You either like a sim for what it offers at this moment or you don't. I happen to not like what I have seen so far from FSW.

Ofcourse! Naturally I do understand everybody has a different taste. If you don't like the landclass, vector, mesh and texture world Microsoft created, fine. Switch to an alternative, as you have done. I know which one it is :biggrin: Not directed at you personally, but the point I'm trying to make is that I very much dislike the fact a lot of comments are predominantly negative, only emphasizing things folks don't like, stressing what hasn't been changed, instead of acknowledging there have been changes for the better and that more things will change in the near and not so near future. I've said it in other posts as well; I try too look at this new project with a positive approach, I try to focus on the potential instead of shooting it down before it is even released, simply because not all issues have been addressed and the sim therefore has no right of existence.

• Upvote 5

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

3 hours ago, HighTowers said:

Negativity and bashing doesnt help to provide motivation for DTG.  

I agree. I am personally not planning to get FSW yet, but I am going to sit on the sidelines and watch how it evolves. The FS community have been crying out for a new product for a long time. There are a lot of people wanting so many new things implemented and improved that there will be always people complaining about this release. I guess the plan to constantly release improvements to the product is kind of exciting, only if the developer is honest about the plans it revealed and proves pretty quickly that they're accountable to deliver what they've committed to. Clearly there are major improvements to the visual quality of the product, but from what I saw it isn't enough for me personally to pull the trigger, but I will wait patiently. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |