markmasterson

Have you noticed you are flying more and tweaking less

I use to spend more time trying to figure out how not to get an 00M on a given route with a given plane.  I even created a database to track the different settings so I could drive data decisions.   Now I spend most of my time flying.  I forgot how much fun that is.   Thanks to P3D V4!

• Upvote 3

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Not me.  I am still tweaking.  Can't quite find the right balance.  I moved from FSX so I appreciate being able to tweak with Prepar3d V4 settings.  Really hard to find the cure for micro stutters.  But all in all visually a great move and I am glad I did.

Darcy

Visually and FPS wise the situation is much improved, even traffic doesn't seem to tank FPS, but as Darcy posted I can't seem to get the microstutters solved. Even at the lowest settings :/

If you are getting long frames or wide frame deltas even at low graphics settings and your FPS is above your monitor refresh rate, then I'd look into experimenting with your AffinityMask.  SSAA can also induce high variant frame deltas (especially with DL enabled).

The focus has now shifted to FPS which has a much easier solution than OOM.  But my unofficial monitoring of internet traffic and it seems many more people are just flying these days ... it's good thing.

Back to OP's comments, I agree, I'm flying much more than I ever have before and don't worry about the number of add-ons I have installed nor what aircraft I'm flying, nor the severity of weather and cloud quality, nor where I flying from and to ... just keep flying and flying.  I'm buying, installing, using more add-ons at the same time than my entire history of simulation all thanks to P3D V4.

Cheers, Rob.

• Upvote 3

Love now to  load up the ORBX, AS16, EFASSNG, payware airports, payware planes, Traffic 360, high settings and not a bloody worry in the world about OOMs. So very little fiddling now. Now I can enjoy P3D4 and maximize the beauty. 

Ditto here. Haven't really had to tweak anything. A real joy for sure.

Bill Barrette

I'm definitely tweaking less, my flying time is now supplanted by browsing forums waiting for updates to drop.

• Upvote 1

Not flying yet - still trying to get the hang of affinity masks, batch files to assign add-ons to specific processor cores per Steve Waite's advice, and (the next frontier) installing add-ons using the addon.xml method.  But once all that's settled, then yeah, it'll be nearly all flying, with tweaks kept to the bare minimum.

v4 allows me to just fly. That's it. 

Indeed more flying time in V4 for sure.

Quite impressed that only "25 fps" can be this smooth but thats what i can do with my 4K´s refreshrate. Below this is not good on my system.

Seems like PMDG went back to an "older" version of Dynamic light as it now is possible to achieve good performance (at least on landing) The closer to gates the worse performance here.

Michael Moe

Yes. I haven't looked at my config files in weeks.

Before, with version 3, I was using SimStarter and had a unique config for each aircraft/scenery/airport combo. Pain, no more.

Yes, very much so. I did do some intensive 'figuring out the best settings' and finally came upon some really great settings. My sim is as smooth as ever. Now I've done nothing but fly, fly and fly some more. Even got started on FS Economy, which I've told myself to do for ages.

I think it may be more because of hardware changes that many of us may have made. Not everyone is simming along at 30 fps. 

5 hours ago, markmasterson said:

I use to spend more time trying to figure out how not to get an 00M on a given route with a given plane.  I even created a database to track the different settings so I could drive data decisions.   Now I spend most of my time flying.  I forgot how much fun that is.   Thanks to P3D V4!

I know the feeling. Set up P3D v4 once to achieve good FPS and a smooth flight and up you go. The most important thing is that I found a good compromise for both, VFR and IFR. 

For example, I wasn't able to fly from SFO -> LAX and back with the NGX. But now this is absolutely no problem anymore. The only thing missing, is the PMDG NGX, but that is just a matter of hours I think.

I don't tweak at all anymore, I have different setting profiles set up (i.e VFR, complex jet IFR, night flying etc). I just load up the sim, choose my settings profile and fly. Loving v4.

I never had trouble flying in the pure sense, but I could never fly a full day r/w NGX schedule in and out of major hubs. Now I'm flying MIA-JFK-LHR routes, in the PMDG 777LR, with very high settings, and not a care in the world.  

This is just the beginning of even greater things to come. Until then, I'm enjoying the final 3 hours of a flight from YSSY to KLAX in the PMDG 747ER. After about 1:30 I will return to YSSY w/o quitting P3Dv4, and with no concern of OOM :happy:

• Upvote 1

Taken me 25 years to find the best machine and the best sim. Finally I can enjoy flight sim the way it was meant to be. 0 tweaks, and high settings.

• Upvote 2

V4 is truly an install and forget sim.   Flying into Flightbeam's KSFO from London non-stop with a full fat FTX Northern California region loaded, the PMDG 747 and PTA was truly the stuff only dreams were made of up until only a few months ago.  I have some graphics anomalies to sort out but the tweaking and tinkering overall are a thing of the past.

Fly V 3.4, never tweak. 

22 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Fly V 3.4, never tweak. 

Here we go again. 

Just now, swiesma said:

Here we go again. 

My success with V 3.4 really bothers some.  Sad.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

My success with V 3.4 really bothers some.  Sad.  

Yep. Sure. 

I am glad v3 works this good for you. For the majority v4 works better and opens a lot of new possibilities. And now?!

I think no one here is in any way jealous or whatever. 

I am tired of this v3 vs v4 stuff. Sorry. 

Just now, swiesma said:

Yep. Sure. 

I am glad v3 works this good for you. For the majority v4 works better and opens a lot of new possibilities. And now?!

I think no one here is in any way jealous or whatever. 

I am tired of this v3 vs v4 stuff. Sorry. 

The thread is about tweaking versus flying. It said nothing about which version someone is using. I included the version that I have now to make it relevant to my comment.Sorry if that causes you angst.  :dry:

Mostly just flying, but last night was fiddling with AM, due to a recent thread about it and because I like to. Without question P3DV4 is the, er, my #1 sim. :biggrin:

Greg       

• Upvote 2