Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Has anyone here flown in a 787?

I haven't seen 787's around Phoenix Sky Harbor, I am wondering if anyone here has flown in one?  Is the ride better than other jets as they claim?  I've heard the cabin is pressurized to 6000 feet and humidity is added for flights.  If I want to fly on one, what routes might operate out of Sky Harbor?  I'd like to fly on one when I take my next vacation.  But I don't know which domestic routes, if any, they are used on. 

I have seen the 787 when I flew out of Heathrow in June, had a very unique nose in it's British Airways livery.  I wanted to jump from my 747 over to the 787 just for the experience.

John

I've flown on them a few times.  Comfy ride but as a non-regular flier I really doubt you'll "notice" the difference as much.  But talking to the crews that fly them regularly there is a stark contrast  between it and other airframes on the body.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Sweet ride. Business class is very comfy. Electrostatic windows a nice touch. Slept like a cat.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

Flightaware.com will likely help you find a 787 flight.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

My wife flew Melb-Singapore on a 787 and came back on an A330 and stated quite readily that the 787 was the best flight experience she has ever had. Didn't feel as tired on the way up or as dehydrated and with the much larger windows had a great view for the 6 or so hours flying over Oz before reaching the northern coastline.

The big windows are great, mood lighting is nice. Overall, I didn't find it either better or worse than anything else. Hard to beat the A380 though.

David Porrett

I flew 3 times on 787. Very nice, the first thing you notice are the windows - they are truly spectacular. The next thing you notice is the mood lighting. The other stuff (humidity, pressurization) is very subtle and may not be that obvious.

I flew Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto. I like them. Windows are great and better air. It will be great when more of these improvements are introduced 

Matthew Kane

I found a website that details the routes that are flown with the 787, unfortunately none of them go to Phoenix, closest airports that greet the 787 on domestic flights are SFO and LAX.  Maybe next time I fly to Europe I will route myself thru LAX, much as I dislike that airport.

John

12 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I found a website that details the routes that are flown with the 787, unfortunately none of them go to Phoenix, closest airports that greet the 787 on domestic flights are SFO and LAX.  Maybe next time I fly to Europe I will route myself thru LAX, much as I dislike that airport.

John

Take a connecting flight to Houston and jump on the Air New Zealand 787 from Houston to Auckland and enjoy a vacation in New Zealand instead.

http://www.airnztravelagent.com/air-new-zealand-introduces-boeing-787-9-dreamliner-houston-auckland-route

Matthew Kane

I Flew 787 from KJFK to Narita Tokyo nonstop on Japan Airline. It was economy class but comfortable. Excellent service. Large windows, mood lights, definitely less noisy.

We took off at 10:00 am local time and flew westward over US, Canada and over Alaska. I enjoyed the scenery as well

Bill

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

My wife and I flew BA business class from Heathrow to San Jose, Ca. on the 787. The ride didn't feel much different, but the mood lighting was nice and the windows were a nice added feature. The business class layout was a disappointment though. It's hard to explain the layout, but the seat closest to the exterior required that the occupant cross over your legs to get out to the aisle if you are stretched out to sleep. I had a young boy constantly getting up and down. Finally had to ask him to sit still. Talking to the flight attendant about the arrangement, she indicated that there would be a change in that. The 747 BC layout on BA was much better.

40 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

When flying to Europe (LAX) you might consider Norwegian's 787. For about $500 extra they give you premium economy with obscene amount of leg room, very comfy seats. It is one of the best upgrades I have experienced.

Air Canada economy.

Liked:

1) The big windows

2) The window shades (electronic with varying levels of darkness)

3) The lighting

4) The entertainment system

5) The biggest one for me - how quiet it was, even on takeoff thrust. Really noticeable.

Dislikes:

1) huge issue - the stupid, narrow 3-3-3 seating

2) the stupid, narrow 3-3-3 seating

3) did I mention the narrow 3-3-3 seating?

First flew a 787 (Virgin Atlantic) in April this year from Heathrow to Newark. The 787 seemed more than the A340 on which we returned although the fact that it was new may have helped but the cabin was definitely quieter even on take-off than any jet airliner I have flown. I also thought that I felt a little less tired after the flight although I wondered if that might just have been due to the power of suggestion after everything that I have read about the benefits of the 787 cabin (lower pressurisation level, more frequent air changes etc).

Bill