MarkW

How important is 1080Ti for a new build P3D v4

Just looking at a new build cost and the cost of the 1080Ti is over $1000 CDN.  Totally nuts.  Just wondering how important it is vs. the regular 1080 ?  And given that new Nvidia cards are about to launch are we all better off waiting knowing the price will drop when these new cards come to market?

thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'll just say I'm quite happy with my 970.  It's smoother in P3D4 than 3.4 by a good bit.

I've read somewhere that the regular 1080 (which I bought recently) does a very good job of rendering P3Dv4 without hassle and a good amount of detail.

However if you want to go the VR route, the Ti is the way to go.

That's what I've heard anyway

What resolution do you plan on running?

That's a determining factor.

34 minutes ago, tjeuten said:

I've read somewhere that the regular 1080 (which I bought recently) does a very good job of rendering P3Dv4 without hassle and a good amount of detail.

However if you want to go the VR route, the Ti is the way to go.

That's what I've heard anyway

I'm running 4k @ 50-100FPS with regular 1080. Have Active Sky for P3D, ASCA. I have autogen settings on high but not all the way to the right.

1 hour ago, ahsmatt7 said:

What resolution do you plan on running?

That's a determining factor.

Well just regular 27" screen to start but want to future proof if I go to a larger 4K tv. 

970 was totally sufficient for 4k no DL.

4k with DL, 1080ti now works good (fsl a320 is still rather heavy when lit like xmas tree but pretty good now).

for me, DL forced my hand...

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, kdfw__ said:

970 was totally sufficient for 4k no DL.

4k with DL, 1080ti now works good (fsl a320 is still rather heavy when lit like xmas tree but pretty good now).

Exactly the same, except I moved up from a 1070 GTX for the same reasoning.

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

Well just regular 27" screen to start but want to future proof if I go to a larger 4K tv. 

I had a 970 last year running on 4k and it didn't handle 4k all that great on p3d v3.

I upgraded to a 1080 ti and 4k ran just like 1080p.

As for p3d v4....the 1080ti is wonderful on 4k. Dynamic lighting does bring my performance down at some airports while at others, there isn't any performance hit at all. YMMV.

One additional thing, with the 1080 TI I can use the setting TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10. I know, it was said that is not such a big difference with it but still, I am using it :D (is just perhaps a perception on my side that it is nicer). GPU memory used, over 8GB, so over what a 1080 can do. But for that for sure, is not an argument to buy the TI. And to get smoother fps, value 9 is enough, I will probably revert it back.

Regarding DL, even a 1080TI struggles with it and can stay at 99-100%...Still waiting for that day when LM will improve that

Had a 970. But I love my 1080 TI. V4 canbe very demanding. Especially with dome add on and dynamic lighting.  

14 hours ago, kdfw__ said:

970 was totally sufficient for 4k no DL.

Knock Knock ! DL ??? I must have forgotten a pill this morning! Thanks, JJ

4 hours ago, Jean-Jacques said:

Knock Knock ! DL ??? I must have forgotten a pill this morning! Thanks, JJ

DL = Dynamic Lighting