dmarques69

Aviation movies sugestions

Recommended Posts

Having some spare time here due a flu that knock me out good, so i thought lets see some good aviation movie, unfortunately there's not so many options in the market and i found my self seeing "Sully" for the second time, which BTW its a good movie that tells the story of the CACTUS 1549 that landed in the Hudson river in NY after a bird strike with the great Tom Hanks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3263904/.

So what do you guys have in your memory collection about aviation movies?

For me not much, mostly 2 movies come to my mind:

Memphis Belle http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100133/

And of course Top Gun http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The original Airport movie is always a good one for the 707's, nothing like seeing maintenance guy trying to get that 707 out of the snow bank with a cigar in his mouth, and of course Dean Martin flying a plane has cool factor as well

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065377/

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

The original Airport movie is always a good one for the 707's, nothing like seeing maintenance guy trying to get that 707 out of the snow bank with a cigar in his mouth, and of course Dean Martin flying a plane has cool factor as well

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065377/

 

Thanks for the suggestion Matthew, i dont recall of seeing this one, going to search to see if i can find this classic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky Fighters - a French "Top Gun" from 2005. Hot women, hot planes and spectacular aerial sequences. Escapist storyline, but so what :happy:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Sky Fighters - a French "Top Gun" from 2005. Hot women, hot planes and spectacular aerial sequences. Escapist storyline, but so what :happy:

Thank you Mark, this one i definitely didnt saw, i believe you are talking about this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421974/ original name "Les chevaliers du ciel" :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'The High and the Mighty' 1953. John Wayne and Bob Stack. the story of an ill-fated DC-4 PHNL-KSFO. The film is based on the long defunct Trans Ocean Airlines, based out of OAK, CA. It is technically accurate in many aspects with a complete crew that includes FE and Human Navigator. Imagine, more than 12 hours, 8000 feet, unpressurized! 

"The original Airport movie is always a good one for the 707's..."

A piece of trivia: The tower controller at "Lincoln" Tower, was played by my former supervisor when I was a controller at LAX Tower. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, dmarques69 said:

Having some spare time here due a flu that knock me out good, so i thought lets see some good aviation movie, unfortunately there's not so many options in the market and i found my self seeing "Sully" for the second time, which BTW its a good movie that tells the story of the CACTUS 1549 that landed in the Hudson river in NY after a bird strike with the great Tom Hanks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3263904/.

So what do you guys have in your memory collection about aviation movies?

For me not much, mostly 2 movies come to my mind:

Memphis Belle http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100133/

And of course Top Gun http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099

 

You have to watch Air America.  Could be about the best Freight Dawg movie ever made.  Just nailed the mentality.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Island in the sky for DC3 action. Steve McQueen in War Lover for B17 action.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're into F-86 Sabres, The Hunters(1958), if you're into DH Mosquitos, Mosquito Squadron(1969) -- both, especially mosquito squadron, have some extraordinary air scenes. -- Tim

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 O'Clock High with Gregory Peck is always a classic.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Air Force One" 1997 movie with Harrison Ford is one of my favorites. 

If you like comedy, try "Airplane"  It is a parody movie from the "Airport series of movies. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mwilk said:

12 O'Clock High with Gregory Peck is always a classic.

Excellent movie, although more about the stress of command than the aviation.  One of my favourites.

Here are some of the other aviation movies in my memory banks...

  • The Bridges at Toko-Ri
  • The Battle of Britain
  • Amelia (Earhart)
  • Aces High
  • The Blue Max
  • Flight of the Intruder
  • Alive! (OK it's the aftermath of a crash but it's still worth a look)
  • Also the BBC TV series "Wings" about the early air war in WWI. Eindeckers and Avros. I think both seasons are available on YouTube.
  • Flight
  • The Ghost of Flight 401 (based on real-life rumours about the aftermath of the Eastern Airlines 401 crash in the Everglades).
  • The Dambusters
  • 688 Squadrom

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now