Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Orbx True Earth for P3Dv4

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

Perhaps when the whole UK is covered I would be interested as the current UK FTX scenery is not their best effort

One thing I am looking forward to seeing with this new tech is what the mountains look like.  Mountain textures, even within the best Orbx regions just look terrible from a short distance.  If mountain rock looks like mountain rock with the sharp peaks they should have instead of the rounded shape they normally project, that'll be a winner.

Well, you ain't going to find any mountains in the Netherlands, that's for sure ;-)

16 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Well, you ain't going to find any mountains in the Netherlands, that's for sure ;-)

No, but PNW will be the acid test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

The storage-required argument is much less relevant these days I think. Storage is cheap, I picked up a 2TB external drive the other day for £80. I know of some folk who have NASA server-farms in their basement to store the US at 30cm per pixel :biggrin: (@sesquashtoo, I'm looking at you ;))

I just bought a 6Tb 7200rpm drive for £140....should give me enough storage space for a few releases ;)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

For me is a problem. I have external SSD, and those drives are very expensive to have good ammount of storage. Mine is 1TB and have 20gb left of space, and I don't want to go to a HDD that is totally slower than a SSD. 

So I will pass in all this True Earth packages, unless there is an option to install textures the old way.

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

50 minutes ago, Japo32 said:

... So I will pass in all this True Earth packages, unless there is an option to install textures the old way.

What do you mean with "old way"?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (8+16 cores, 16+16 Threads, 5.5 GHz, Aorus X 360 AIO H2O, ASUS Z690 ROG Strix F), 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090 (Alphacool Eiswolf 360 AIO H2O).  Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2 SSD C drive).  MSFS 2020 (MS Store, installed on C, MSFS Content on seperate 2TB M.2 SSD).   P3Dv5.3 (1TB M.2 SSD).

The p3d issue with blurry distant photoscenery needs fixing first, otherwise this will look a mess.

aerofly2 and xp should be good though. 

I 100% agree that something needs to be done to improve the quality of the distant textures. Right now distant mountains at Valdez are a blurry mess.

These are things that we often overlook because we are excited about a new release. It's safe to say P3D v4 still has a way to go.

This new approach should look great in XP 11.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

1 minute ago, simbol said:

So any idea of how many TB I need?

S.

JV stated they were only looking at 1.2m/pp imagery so factor in 5 seasons + night and a decent estimate should be possible for any given landmass?

JV also said they'd look at higher resolutions as future software/hardware (particularly GPUs) made it possible performance and data wise.

A good rule I think would be as much as possible?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

8 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

JV stated they were only looking at 1.2m/pp imagery so factor in 5 seasons + night and a decent estimate should be possible for any given landmass?

JV also said they'd look at higher resolutions as future software/hardware (particularly GPUs) made it possible performance and data wise.

A good rule I think would be as much as possible?

That is nice but as far as I can recall developers can actually know how much space their software uses on disk.

I don't think it is too much to ask how many GB or TB this add-on requires.

I guess I will ask them face to face in Vegas when I see them during the flying sim expo.

S.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

Wrong, totally wrong!
We have the 'Vaalserberg' (berg=mountain) and it is the highest mountain in the Netherlands.
It is a whopping 322.4 meters high :biggrin:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaalserberg

• Like 2

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

1 hour ago, simbol said:

That is nice but as far as I can recall developers can actually know how much space their software uses on disk.

I don't think it is too much to ask how many GB or TB this add-on requires.

They simply don't know this yet because the addon hasn't been completed yet. Once they know the size, they will tell us. I think it's wise of them to not post wild or educated guesses. What is known already though is that the Netherlands will require GB's, no TB's. The country is quite small. :happy: I doubt it will take up something like 125 to 150 GB. (Yes, that's a wild guess based on posts I've read on the Orbx forum.)

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

Hi Tony  , was it created  , with the same source ,software ,has orthox4p, with Orbx custom overlay ? 

care to share your ortho4xp ini ??

Thanks

@charleslee201 It's for P3D not X-Plane. Ortho4XP was not used