Sign in to follow this  
Lucas777

P3D v4 vs FSX acceleration

I'm sorry I guess it is a very basic question but I've been away from flight simulation for years.

My question is, how much improvement can be expecting when migrating from FSX SP2 to the latest P3D version?

I'm mainly interested in performance and stability but I would like to hear about anything you guys think is worth to mention.

Thanks in advance!

What I noticed going from FSX:SE to V3 and then V4

- Much smoother, even with comparably low framerates (ie 20's) P3D is a lot smoother than FSX, less stutters.
- Better performance - P3D offloads more to the graphics card so you will want a decent one but because of this frame rates are better. Bear in mind though that P3D has a lot more graphic options that FSX doesn't which can add to the workload.
- Less crashes for no reason (even in V3)
- No more OOM's! For me this was the biggest reason to go to V4. No more time wasted managing scenery to make sure you don't crash due to memory.

This is just my experience, I'm sure others can add.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

Simple answer is to list the FSX shortcomings that P3Dv4 doesn't share.  FSX is a 32b application and complex scenery plus complex aircraft can easily out grown the 32b memory address space limitation (P3Dv4 is a 64b application).  FSX does all graphics processing in the CPU and is based on DirectX 9 (P3Dv4 is based on DirectX 11 with much improved rendering and can load up your GPU freeing the CPU for other work).  FSX was not designed for modern multiple core CPUs (P3D has had numerous improvements to the code and multi-threading is significantly better).  Developers are starting to create products that take full advantage of the many P3D features that will no longer work in FSX and earlier platforms.

I had FSX as well as P3D loaded for a couple of years so I could test stuff in either platform.  It got to a point where I dreaded launching FSX because it looks so bad in comparison so last year I finally removed FSX and it's gone.

Dan Downs KCRP

I also removed FSX,  after keeping it for most of a year.. I cannot stand to look at the popping up of autogen in clumps any more..

If you have a good video card (GTX 1070+) you will learn to love P3DV4.  :cool:

Bert

FSX is a total waste of money since P3DV4 became available. I would not even consider FSX to be in the running. If you went with FSX and later decided to upgrade to P3D you would have the expense of repurchasing some of the IMHO essential addons such as your PMDG and A2A aircraft as well as upgrade fees on other apps  such as Active Sky. 

My friend, please forget FSX. In the long run you'll be glad you did.

Vic green

Highly recommend p3d v4 over fsx. Performance & stability aside with the right PTA preset, P3D v4 can be absolutely beautiful.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I too have been away from flight sims for a few (8)years. 

I recently bought a new high end sim rig and brought down 3 large boxes from storage full of all my old FSX add ons.

I had a magnificent collection I’d built up over  the years, but in the end I decided to bite the bullet and just bought P3D V4  instead, I couldn’t be happier with its feel and performance compared to how I remember FSX.

XP11 and DCS have also impressed me beyond belief, with DCS  having the most realistic flight modelling I’ve ever experienced.

Jon

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, Lucas777 said:

My question is, how much improvement can be expecting when migrating from FSX SP2 to the latest P3D version?

You should be very impressed.  When P3D went 64-bit (less than a year ago) it really changed things, and we still haven't reaped all of the rewards of that (meaning, we still haven't seen the best of what the developers can bring with the 64-bit sim).

You will want certain mods (in my opinion).  There is a thread on here about essential mods.  Things like ASP4 / REX / PTA were on people's lists.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

9 hours ago, Mace said:

You will want certain mods (in my opinion).  There is a thread on here about essential mods.  Things like ASP4 / REX / PTA were on people's lists.

And yet some of us are happily flying without these "essential mods" but do believe that adding Orbx Global is a darn good idea :cool:

Bert

Try them both.  They have a great return policy.

I have just gone to p3d after many years with fsx. V4 is far better than fsx, much smoother, better graphics and much more stable. All my orbx products reinstalled without having to re purchase. Can't see me ever using fsx again!

I bought a new rig last winter and installed p3dv4 on it. Never looked back but I do miss my A2A Mustang and Texan which are FSX only versions.
In my opinion p3d is better in not to render what isn't visible. If you fly near Seattle for instance and have low FPS, just look the other way. 🙂

9 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

I bought a new rig last winter and installed p3dv4 on it. Never looked back but I do miss my A2A Mustang and Texan which are FSX only versions.
In my opinion p3d is better in not to render what isn't visible. If you fly near Seattle for instance and have low FPS, just look the other way. 🙂

The a2a Texan is now available for P3DV4.

(you can buy the academic version if you do not want to spend a lot of money..)

Bert

13 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The a2a Texan is now available for P3DV4.

(you can buy the academic version if you do not want to spend a lot of money..)

Yes I know Bert but I'm not into re-buying the plane again for the full price. I just purchased it a year ago.
So missing the plane, yes, but paying for it again, no.