Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Source and what can we expect if anything at all? I hope LM have addressed many issues which have been around since pretty much day one, take dynamic lighting for example. The random appearance of ntdll errors and many more. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Sethos1988 said:

Nice, source?

[Link removed] LM announced it in the pcflight podcast released a few hours ago.

Edited by Jim Young
Link to PC Flight removed. Was not to podcast but to the general website.

60FPS with all sliders to the right, maybe????

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For VR users, they fixed the single-pass rendering bug so 4.3 is eagerly anticipated. 

What I took away from the podcast is that we are lucky (despite this being Podcast #13) as users to have people like Ben and Adam who explain the inner workings of the two sims. Everyone should listen to the full podcast, as PBR is coming soon (but not immediate, as it won't be incorporated into V4.3 this month) and V5 could have a new rendering engine. The last item was a bit vague as to what that exactly means, though. VR is a big emphasis and the HTC Vive Pro got an nice endorsement. Speech Recognition may act as a catalyst for improving the ATC. Also there was a lot of discussion about 3rd party developers and how important they are to LM. Improving helicopter realism is a priority as is SimDirector. They'll probably be some more tidbits of first hand news as LM is sending 4 people to Las Vegas.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Thanks Jay for summarizing. I would like to add that Adam stated that they don't intend to modify anything w.r.t. to the Academic License and in no way is it supposed to disappear. He actually interpreted its use quite loosely to give people a chance to start early with education and simulation. (This point only as an info, please stay away from license discussions.)

Another fact I found interesting is that LM, while initially licensing the ESP engine from MS, now obviously owns the complete code of Prepar3d.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry I could not give more info in the OP, as I'm at work and I was a bit too busy to write a summary, at least I got the news out that v4.3 was immanent. 

Edited by eaim
  • Like 2

All good - thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

P3D really needs PBR, bring on 4.3 (or 4.4 even) !

P3D lighting looks so "dull" compared to Xplane.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2018 at 9:38 PM, Sethos1988 said:

Nice, source?

PCflight  interviewed a P3D developer,it's no rumor

PBR would be fantastic, as implementation generally doesn't come with a huge performance hit (it's a different way for treating light).

PBR might fix the ugly Speedtrees issue as they natively use PBR.

Posted (edited)

I'm daft, what is PBR? Physics Based Rendering? What does it do/allow? 

Edited by B777ER
  • Like 1

lol...he was mentioning Voice Support "Make it rain".  Yay!!! Time to uninstall 4.2

I wanna tell my computer "Make it rain" especially when flying over Vegas (there is pun in here, if you get it....cheers)

If true, I wanna see the airport data base get updated.  I've been hoping for this for a long time.  And I don't expect payware level, but updated TWYS, RWYS, buildings, freqs for NAV equipment.  Things like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreamflight767 said:

If true, I wanna see the airport data base get updated.  I've been hoping for this for a long time.  And I don't expect payware level, but updated TWYS, RWYS, buildings, freqs for NAV equipment.  Things like that.

And put all those data in an updateable database. This would be one of the questions I would ask them first, if allowed. Unfortunately, I am not allowed.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

You're nor daft at all. I do find it frustrating when people post these kind of things without the full name.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Hi guys,

I am here in the expo as an Exhibitor, I meet the LM team who came to meet me at my booth

These guys are awesome, they listened to my features request, they loved my product, they tried it and were extremely friendly.

I can tell you these guys will continue expanding the platform without limits.. Stay tuned.

All the best,

Simbol 

• Like 16

6 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

You're nor daft at all. I do find it frustrating when people post these kind of things without the full name.

+1

Hans

18 minutes ago, simbol said:

Hi guys,

I am here in the expo as an Exhibitor, I meet the LM team who came to meet me at my booth

These guys are awesome, they listened to my features request, they loved my product, they tried it and were extremely friendly.

I can tell you these guys will continue expanding the platform without limits.. Stay tuned.

All the best,

Simbol 

Hi Simbol:

If able, would you please ask them about updating the airports...and making it updateable.

Thank you

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, B777ER said:

Basically it will allow materials to look a bit more realistic. PBR adds additional  information to an image so it can be rendered more realistically in a simulation or game when used as a texture for your model.

Boring longer explanation...

You probably know that a texture in a computer game can have several channels which act upon how it appears: Really basic textures in a game/sim would only have three channels, these being Red, Green and Blue (RGB); various combinations of those R, G and B colours (usually in a numerical value range from 0 to 255 for each colour) will mix together to form all the different colours of your image by making each pixel (picture element) a specific colour. For example, set the RGB values for a pixel at R-255, G-0, B-0 and you'll have a full on bright red pixel, set them at R-255, G-0 and B-100 and some of the blue will mix with the red and give you a purple coloured pixel, and so on. Add an additional 'alpha' channel to a texture and you can have that channel depict differing levels of transparency; completely transparent where that alpha channel pixel is black, completely opaque where a pixel is is white, or anywhere in between those levels of transparency/opacity by varying the number. That's how the windows in your flight sim plane are depicted as being see-through.

Many sims and games go further than this however, linking additional images to a  texture image to have those do stuff to how the object looks too, the most well known example of this would be a 'bump map' image, where you might have the rivets on a bare metal Douglas DC-3 be depicted as actually sticking out a bit by using a bump map texture to do that instead of actually having to actually model 3D rivets sticking out of the model a little bit, this functions a little bit like how an alpha channels works, but depicts the roughness of a surface as opposed to how transparent it is as is the case with an alpha channel. Then you might also use an image file to depict how reflective the material is, and so on. It works, but it's time consuming and requires a bit of an artistic touch to do it well.

More recently however, games and sims have started using PBR values to give textures much more realism, by assigning values to the albedo (level of light a surface reflects) and diffusion (how much what is reflected scatters off in different directions). This is not only quicker to do, but looks better as well and is based on physics rather than artistry. This means you can assign the Albedo and Diffusion values for aluminium to a fuselage texture and it will look like aluminium and assign the Albedo and Diffusion values for rubber to a tire on your aeroplane and its tires will look like rubber. There are other values you can add for PBR, but that's the gist of it. It'll make your planes look more realistic, i.e. you plane could look wet when it is raining in the sim and dry when it is sunny etc.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Basically it will allow materials to look a bit more realistic. PBR adds additional  information to an image so it can be rendered more realistically in a simulation or game when used as a texture for your model.

Boring longer explanation...

You probably know that a texture in a computer game can have several channels which act upon how it appears: Really basic textures in a game/sim would only have three channels, these being Red, Green and Blue (RGB); various combinations of those R, G and B colours (usually in a numerical value range from 0 to 255 for each colour) will mix together to form all the different colours of your image by making each pixel (picture element) a specific colour. For example, set the RGB values for a pixel at R-255, G-0, B-0 and you'll have a full on bright red pixel, set them at R-255, G-0 and B-100 and some of the blue will mix with the red and give you a purple coloured pixel, and so on. Add an additional 'alpha' channel to a texture and you can have that channel depict differing levels of transparency; completely transparent where that alpha channel pixel is black, completely opaque where a pixel is is white, or anywhere in between those levels of transparency/opacity by varying the number. That's how the windows in your flight sim plane are depicted as being see-through.

Many sims and games go further than this however, linking additional images to a  texture image to have those do stuff to how the object looks too, the most well known example of this would be a 'bump map' image, where you might have the rivets on a bare metal Douglas DC-3 be depicted as actually sticking out a bit by using a bump map texture to do that instead of actually having to actually model 3D rivets sticking out of the model a little bit, this functions a little bit like how an alpha channels works, but depicts the roughness of a surface as opposed to how transparent it is as is the case with an alpha channel. Then you might also use an image file to depict how reflective the material is, and so on. It works, but it's time consuming and requires a bit of an artistic touch to do it well.

More recently however, games and sims have started using PBR values to give textures much more realism, by assigning values to the albedo (level of light a surface reflects) and diffusion (how much what is reflected scatters off in different directions). This is not only quicker to do, but looks better as well and is based on physics rather than artistry. This means you can assign the Albedo and Diffusion values for aluminium to a fuselage texture and it will look like aluminium and assign the Albedo and Diffusion values for rubber to a tire on your aeroplane and its tires will look like rubber. There are other values you can add for PBR, but that's the gist of it. It'll make your planes look more realistic, i.e. you plane could look wet when it is raining in the sim and dry when it is sunny etc.

Best post I have ever read😀 Can't wait for PBR in Prepar3D V5

You guys will love GSX Level 2, Umberto just gave me a private demo, it is just unbelievable!

Regards,

Simbol 

• Like 6