I am lucky to be upgrading to a new 

gaming computer...I will have to do a 

clean install of P3D....if a new version is on the 

horizon, I'd rather wait for it...does anyone know if 

such a new version is coming soon...

Thanks, John H.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

When is soon for you? How long you want to wait? 

Even if anyone knew... they couldn't tell you.  NDA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmhelms said:

Thanks, John H.

I would suggest installing now.  P3DV4.3 is worth it, it is stable, smooth running, especially on a newer gaming computer, even my year old computer with a slower cpu than more current systems.  I have had no issues since installing it a year ago and many hours of enjoyment.  The cloud shadows look great, few bugs (Phoenix Sky Harbor airport is missing its control tower, only real issue I have noticed, since that is my home airport).  I especially enjoy MSE's photoreal scenery with it and photoreal scenery I originally made with FSEarthtiles in FSX, like my Colorado scenery here in Avsim's library.  Xplane11 is also worth it on a new system, I run both sims although I have more add on aircraft for P3DV4.3. 

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As long as development continues, there's always going to be a new version on the horizon.

4.3 is in a really good place right now.  No need to wait, IMHO.

Regards

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kurtb said:

march 2019

Time? am or pm? 😉

Cheers, Ed

When Pete goes on vacation. 😀

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

And after it is released, no add ons will work, The fix will be , New PC, new OS, and purchase everything you own again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jmhelms said:

Thanks, John H.

Based on previous patterns, I would expect to see P3D v4.4 release by end of year. I would also expect version 5 to release in the third quarter or early fourth quarter of 2019. 

33 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

And after it is released, no add ons will work, The fix will be , New PC, new OS, and purchase everything you own again. 

I need a new PC, new OS, didn't purchase much so I'm good to go with P3Dv5 or go with FlyInside entertainment sim !

Many thanks to all who commented...

Very interesting perspectives...

Color this topic closed...

John H.

8 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

I would suggest installing now.  P3DV4.3 is worth it, it is stable, smooth running, especially on a newer gaming computer, even my year old computer with a slower cpu than more current systems.  I have had no issues since installing it a year ago and many hours of enjoyment.  The cloud shadows look great, few bugs (Phoenix Sky Harbor airport is missing its control tower, only real issue I have noticed, since that is my home airport).  I especially enjoy MSE's photoreal scenery with it and photoreal scenery I originally made with FSEarthtiles in FSX, like my Colorado scenery here in Avsim's library.  Xplane11 is also worth it on a new system, I run both sims although I have more add on aircraft for P3DV4.3. 

John

Which KPHX are you using? Greetings from KTUS (for which there is no custom airport for). I also use MSE and love it (have the whole US). Wish they did Mexico.....

P.

42 minutes ago, pgde said:

Which KPHX are you using? Greetings from KTUS (for which there is no custom airport for). I also use MSE and love it (have the whole US). Wish they did Mexico.....

P.

I am using the default KPHX, I am interested in an updated airport, preferably freeware.  Xplane11 has a great rendition of KPHX which I enjoy alot, very detailed, yet very framerate friendly, it has lots of static aircraft on display to go along with it, and the downtown Phoenix buildings as well.

John

Edit: As usual the Avsim Library provides, I found some Sky Harbor scenery for FSX that works in P3DV4, and adds the missing control tower back to Phoenix Sky Harbor

Edited by Cactus521

When Pete Dowson is on vacation a new version is close to releasing. I thought LM said this year for P3D4.4? 4.3 is the best now but performance with dynamic lights has become worse for me and at sunset and sunrise also low FPS.

1 hour ago, Boeing or not going said:

and at sunset and sunrise also low FPS.

On my system the culprit of that was cloud shadow settings.  I haven't noticed that problem in my 4.3 though.

4 hours ago, Cactus521 said:

I am using the default KPHX, I am interested in an updated airport, preferably freeware.  Xplane11 has a great rendition of KPHX which I enjoy alot, very detailed, yet very framerate friendly, it has lots of static aircraft on display to go along with it, and the downtown Phoenix buildings as well.

John

Edit: As usual the Avsim Library provides, I found some Sky Harbor scenery for FSX that works in P3DV4, and adds the missing control tower back to Phoenix Sky Harbor

The Flightbeam version is compatible as I pretty well done.

http://www.flightbeam.net/kphx.html/

45 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I found a freeware, FSX incarnation of the airport that includes the tower.  It does not include the current Skytrain, but I am fine with that--just missed not having a tower at the airport.

50 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

A great airport but some landclass and mesh issues around the airport using OpenLC

Edited by Boeing or not going

15 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I've gone from P3D v2 to v3 to v4 on the same PC. I did upgrade it for free to Windows 10 but that's all. No, wait, I bought a new GPU around 2 years ago but not specifically for P3D. I had to buy some addons again in the beginning but not for every version. Some addons were updated for free. Other addons have been replaced by my own choice, not because P3D forced me to do so.

So it isn't as bad as you make it sound. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, WarpD said:

NDA.=No Donkeys Allowed

Edited by wizzards

8 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

A great airport but some landclass and mesh issues around the airport using OpenLC

No problem with Flightbeam's KPHX and MSE. Highly recommended.

20 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

If this was the case, i'd may as well bight the bullet and move to X-plane lock stock and barrell, it would have to blow all the other flight sim's out of the water for me to purchase everything again.

29 minutes ago, eaim said:

If this was the case, i'd may as well bight the bullet and move to X-plane lock stock and barrell, it would have to blow all the other flight sim's out of the water for me to purchase everything again.

This is plain nonsense. You can reuse e.g. all ORBX scenery which you bought for FSX or any previous P3D version in Prepar3D4.3, without paying any additional cent. Some Aerosoft sceneries had free of charge upgrades as well, for some of them (the Professional product line) you have to pay a moderate upgrade fee like 5 $ or such.

I went through all Prepar3d versions from 1.2 and had to pay an upgrade fee now and then, but not a huge amount as for a complete collection. I am notably very grateful to ORBX (where I own the complete collection) for allowing reuse of their sceneries in any Prepar3d versions so far, which actually involved some work for them to provide compatibility updates. 

Also some planes had free of charge upgrades. I think this concerns all Carenados/Alabeos. The really costly parts are those from, e.g., A2A and PMDG.

It was the declared goal of Lockheed Martin (can be read on their website) to maintain some basic upward compatibility of Prepar3d. This does not mean any FSX scenery or plane will work out of the box (which would hinder any further development) but develoment effort will be reduced compared to a completely new development as the developer can reuse some assets.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb